One Tricking isn't bannable, but it ruins games

General Discussion
02/13/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Remedyheart
One tricking is an issue. The easiest triggered players usually are one trick players. They hog a hero most of the time choosing to be mediocre with them for "pressured practice measures?" In favor of a fun enjoyable match to both teams of a match.

What change could be done to avoid stressing out players? 2 clicks of a mouse button and maybe 60 seconds on another hero. It won't kill the one trick when everyone flexing around them is pretty much dying the entire time they choose to intentionally affect their own teammates.

One tricking is an issue. The devs said it themselves.
if topics like this are any indication, the people who are most easily triggered are the one trick haters
Nothing like those 1-trick Honzo players shooting into barriers all game....soooo useful...
02/13/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Bergmaniac
02/13/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Remedyheart

Yes it does. Why else would people be mad?

Because they are whiny crybabies who always look for someone to blame instead of admitting their own fault.

So your claim is everyone upset is whiny crybabies? That theres no actual reason that these players could be upset? Only because they want to? Alrighty then. Talk to me. I am flex player who has been delving into this matter for some time now. While being against one tricking methods I am open to the mindset of every player in this community. So what else might players be upset about it there is such a large group of players upset about one tricking?
02/13/2018 06:04 AMPosted by Recolor
It literally breeds toxicity.

One tricks, people playing off-meta ineffectively, and/or refusing to switch is the cause for 99% of the verbal abuse I encounter on voice chat, and understandably so.

Like you're not doing anything as Sombra, and we need another healer. Why are you forcing our only tank to swap when we already have 4 DPS?

I feel like by the time any of this gets addressed the game will be completely dead. It's kind of sad because the game mechanics are actually amazing in Overwatch, but the ranked system ruins this game. League of Legends on the other hand isn't as fun of a game, but the ranked system is so much more enjoyable because leavers, throwers and trolls get punished accordingly and if you don't play to win you'll be in Bronze indefinitely.
how about one of the other 4 dps swap

tbh, if I had to heal a 4dps comp, I wouldn't do it either
02/13/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Eggcelsior
02/13/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Remedyheart
One tricking is an issue. The easiest triggered players usually are one trick players. They hog a hero most of the time choosing to be mediocre with them for "pressured practice measures?" In favor of a fun enjoyable match to both teams of a match.

What change could be done to avoid stressing out players? 2 clicks of a mouse button and maybe 60 seconds on another hero. It won't kill the one trick when everyone flexing around them is pretty much dying the entire time they choose to intentionally affect their own teammates.

One tricking is an issue. The devs said it themselves.
if topics like this are any indication, the people who are most easily triggered are the one trick haters

So your initial desired reactions from players are to "just deal with it". I see I see. Care to elaborate why one tricks aren't at fault for game experience failing said players but the "one trick haters" are?
02/13/2018 07:04 AMPosted by Jamster
One tricks and off meta players are not the problem. More often then not they do pretty fine. The reason you will find that some people always lose with one tricks is because they throw immediately. Or they get tilted before the game starts because they see an off meta hero.

Playing support I see it happen a lot. And its usually the people whining about the one trick/ off meta player that are performing bad. Understandably the one trick/ off meta player slowly gets tilted over the course of a game. Especially when terrible players essentially throw until they switch.

I will say that is mostly true unless its a symmetra on attack or a widowmaker who has low accuracy ( not headshot accuracy). Those two are extremely volatile heroes that fall apart easily even if the setup is right for them.

Also, If I pick symmetra because I feel I can do a better job on Volskaya first point defense after a bad run with a one trick sym on offense, for example, shouldnt the one trick flex around my pick? If not, then aren't they the ones throwing?
I am seriously offering an open discussion here. Why am I along with many others considered hurtful rather than players who obviously think only for themselves. We all paid to play this game. We all que up with multiple players for a match. We all have to compete with each other in the game even if it is just for gold medal statues. Please explain to me how I may be the toxic one here for asking a player to switch?
02/13/2018 07:36 AMPosted by righthere
Don't want one tricks or off meta heroes on your team? There's an easy solution: group up. Form a 6 stack of people you trust.

If you choose to solo queue, you are agreeing to play with whatever characters your teammates choose, regardless of how poorly they synergize.

MOTHER FREAKING YES! WHY DOES NO ONE GET THIS!? People ask for "avoid this player" to dodge one-tricks and Soft ban them but THIS IS HOW THEY SHOULD FIX THAT PROBLEM!

Unless you're in the highest end of the game where that's hard/impossible due to the inclusion of OWL pros...In which case, deal with it.
I don't mind people having one character they prefer to play. The issue for most is that people expect others to play around them even if they are not being effective with their choice of hero. Synergy is important, it is a team game after all. If you are getting killed more by your counters than you are aiding your teammates the best thing to do is switch to something that is more effective to your success rather than forcing through. A big part of Overwatch is playing as a unit and strategizing the best way to counter the enemy team. You even see character switches on OWL and the professional scene. They understand the objective is to find the best way to work together. The other problem is that if you choose to play a character out of your most played and the team isn't doing well, you get forced back into it and essentially one trick. The best method I feel is to be able to flex, if not between different roles at least different characters in your preferred role.
02/13/2018 07:34 AMPosted by xavvypls
~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
#RevertMercy
those contradict each other
02/13/2018 07:08 AMPosted by Cheat2Win
02/13/2018 06:04 AMPosted by Recolor
It literally breeds toxicity.

It really doesn't. Attitudes like yours, combined with the inability to accept that sometimes the enemy team is just playing better, are the root source of toxicity.

It's called losing gracefully. Nobody likes a sore loser.

what? YES IT DOES
02/07/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Let's be clear here and not confuse policy:

One Tricking is not bannable and should not be reported (it even says so in the text)

Throwing is bannable and should be reported. We appreciate your help here.

False reporting is bannable. Don't misuse the report system.

People are going to one-trick whether you like it or not. They are allowed to play whoever they want. You're just going to have to deal with it.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
#RevertMercy

It was a good post, until
#RevertMercy[/i]

And thus, I cannot upvote it.
02/13/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Honchkrow
Don't want one tricks or off meta heroes on your team? There's an easy solution: group up. Form a 6 stack of people you trust.

If you choose to solo queue, you are agreeing to play with whatever characters your teammates choose, regardless of how poorly they synergize.

MOTHER FREAKING YES! WHY DOES NO ONE GET THIS!? People ask for "avoid this player" to dodge one-tricks and Soft ban them but THIS IS HOW THEY SHOULD FIX THAT PROBLEM!

Unless you're in the highest end of the game where that's hard/impossible due to the inclusion of OWL pros...In which case, deal with it.

So in an ideal situation where every one who wants to avoid one tricks groups up in 6 man stacks ( which seems to be most of the playerbase) , the queue times for one tricks who arent in 6 man stack will be worse than if there is an avoid this player system. The worse part about this is that those groups under 6 men would be almost guaranteed a nonmeta one trick which would lead to worsening toxicity and reporting.
02/13/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Remedyheart
Please explain to me how I may be the toxic one here for asking a player to switch?

It's not toxic to ask people to switch so long as you are being polite about it. It's just strategy discussion which is totally appropriate in a team game. The toxicity comes into play if you get upset at them for disagreeing with your strategic assessment and become aggressive/abusive towards them for it.

You are allowed to be upset. You are not allowed to take it out on other players and be abusive or vindictive towards them because you are upset.

Hope that helps.
02/13/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Remedyheart
I am seriously offering an open discussion here. Why am I along with many others considered hurtful rather than players who obviously think only for themselves. We all paid to play this game. We all que up with multiple players for a match. We all have to compete with each other in the game even if it is just for gold medal statues. Please explain to me how I may be the toxic one here for asking a player to switch?

You have to be sure the person that you asked to switch is actually the problem. If say you call out a Hanzo doing bad. But this Hanzo has played the character for 20 hours. Knows the base line stats he usually does. He sees he's hitting them. Even when the team is screwed. Is it his fault alone?

If the team was screwed by him. Wouldn't his stats be worse than his average. So perhaps another person is messing up, or the team synergy itself doesn't work in the first place. Like someone playing Reinhardt for the first time. He dies a fair bit, due to mistakes. This than allows the enemy to focus on that Hanzo more often. I've played probably every type of random combination of characters in a match. I've won with many of them. I lost with many traditional teams. I'd rather blame the entire team just not working together. Than single out one person. We are, after all 6 rando's. I don't know you, you don't know me.

You can be really good with a character. But if the team just doesn't work. There's no way to salvage the match. I have a friend who is very good with Symetra. But everyone else doesn't know that. So if for some reason the defense falls. People usually default to blaming the character that is not optimal. But it could of been my fault. Maybe I screwed up on a shield. Or I coughed at the wrong moment.

easy solution arent always the best once, the system should provide you with players that share your idea of how to play the game
Please explain to me how I may be the toxic one here for asking a player to switch?

Asking nicely is not toxic. Problem is, in many cases it's "demanding rudely" rather than asking nicely.

But if you choose to team up with randos on the internet, you can't expect to have any control over how they try to win

Yes, that's what I don't understand. Do I get annoyed when my teammates are being (in my opinion) suicidal stupid and stubborn? Sure. Do I think I have the right to demand of them to play what I want them to play. Not at all.