"Mercy reacts to the recent patch" vid on OWL

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 Next
02/01/2018 07:20 AMPosted by kilmeran
It was in poor taste
Of course it was in poor taste that is how satire works.

maybe at 45-years-old, I'm at the age where I expect professionalism instead of college frat-boy behavior from professionals. Silly me, I guess.

Because some people made a deliberately exaggerated joke they can't be professionals? Just because some people have a different understanding in humour doesn't mean that they need to get ripped apart because other people don't get the joke.
I laughed so much at the guy wearing the wig complaining about the Mercy changes.

I will tune in early ALL THE TIME now.
02/01/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Chiba
My answer on a similar thread:

To all guys that are raging about the video you got played like fiddle. It was a provocative joke and you guys fell for it. These reactions that you guys present here are excatly what they wanted. This video was satire in his rawest form and you guys couldn't handle it.

It was in poor taste. Now, even though I am not an e-sports fan, I tuned in. I was considering buying tokens to outfit the rest of my characters with a certain team's colors, so when or if the wife and I returned to playing, I had them. I've been a Blizzard customer since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, I have no trouble tossing money their way. Admittedly, I wasn't about to pay $60+ for a jersey, because I won't pay that price even for an official NFL jersey, so I'm sure not doing it for an e-sport.

But between xQc, the skit, the commentator celebrating the Mercy nerf . . . maybe at 45-years-old, I'm at the age where I expect professionalism instead of college frat-boy behavior from professionals. Silly me, I guess. Now, I don't know if this is how all e-sports are, but I've had my fill of it. I'm done with OWL. Didn't spend a dime toward it, and no longer plan to.

Of course, that doesn't mean anything. I'm still tossing money at Blizzard. Just pre-ordered Battle for Azeroth for both my and the wife's account, and plan to buy Maiev when she releases in Heroes of the Storm. We still also buy card packs here and there in Hearthstone. But we're not putting anymore money specifically into the Overwatch brand.
As someone who follows the FGC, not really usually like all this

This is just Blizzard’s toxic game by toxic people for toxic people showing what it’s really all about
Sad, unbelievably sad, and here I thought they were capable of at least some degree of professionalism. Instead they act like man-children.

They put together a skit that looked like it was made with 10 minutes of effort just to poorly mock mercy mains. I guess I should expect it from the dude bro idiots in OWL at this point. Hell even the "Thot dash" thread had more creativity than them, and that's beyond sad especially given the sub par level of "Comedy" satire/mocking is at.

Best of all blizzard seems to be allowing it. Really Curbing toxic behavior aren't you. Course I guess I should expect that as well given how much my respect for them has waned ever since this game has come out.
01/31/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Mokinokaro
01/31/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Josteen

literally comments jeering at mercy and supporting the nerfs got 3000++ upvotes and comments against the nerf were buried alive in thousand negative karmas.

Reddit is a site 100% built on bandwagoning around whatever is percieved to be popular.

All it'd take is a few DPS mains tired of their "picks being reversed" to start the voting brigades.
LOL that's exactly what happens here! People bandwagon one opinion and all others are downvoted into the ground!
02/01/2018 07:35 AMPosted by Chiba
It was in poor taste
Of course it was in poor taste that is how satire works.

maybe at 45-years-old, I'm at the age where I expect professionalism instead of college frat-boy behavior from professionals. Silly me, I guess.

Because some people made a deliberately exaggerated joke they can't be professionals? Just because some people have a different understanding in humour doesn't mean that they need to get ripped apart because other people don't get the joke.
I wouldn't try and argue against the Forum hivemind. They seem to lack care for any other suppot main but Mercy. Any time a hero but Mercy is a mustpick it is a problem, heck the entire skit was about how Ana, Moira were on "holidays" because they were near useless in OWL, because of an OP mercy. Nothing about mocking mercy mains and such. If anything Moira, and Ana mains should be the ones upset.
Get over yourselves, especially the people that argue that Blizzard don't know what they're doing when it comes to the nerf while they're speaking from a Bronze-Plat perspective. You do not know what is good for the game.

Yes, let's all blindly trust Blizzard as if they aren't the ones who came up with the idiotic Mercy rework in the first place only to completely botch the job and leave her in her hilariously OP state for five months. But hey, maybe they will get it right this time for a change!
I LOVE IT !
02/01/2018 07:33 AMPosted by wllflwr
Get over yourselves, especially the people that argue that Blizzard don't know what they're doing when it comes to the nerf while they're speaking from a Bronze-Plat perspective. You do not know what is good for the game.

Where in the post you quoted from me did I say anything, anything at all, about the Mercy nerfs themselves?

That's correct: I didn't.

That's because I'm a Bronze-4-life player. I'm fine with that. But I also do not come into threads and post about character changes themselves, attempting to sound like I know all the ins and outs of the game.

I don't know all the ins and outs. Never will. Again, I'm fine with that. Therefore, I don't chime in on buffs/nerfs.

I referred purely to what I view as unprofessional behavior from OWL professionals, and why I'm finished with the OWL.

Do try to comprehend what you read, okay?
02/01/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Matrim

Yes, let's all blindly trust Blizzard as if they aren't the ones who came up with the idiotic Mercy rework in the first place only to completely botch the job and leave her in her hilariously OP state for five months. But hey, maybe they will get it right this time for a change!
If they listened to people like you and not pro players this game would be dead in a month.
02/01/2018 07:33 AMPosted by wllflwr

Where in the post you quoted from me did I say anything, anything at all, about the Mercy nerfs themselves.

That's correct: I didn't.

That's because I'm a Bronze-4-life player. I'm fine with that. But I also do not come into threads and post about character changes themselves, attempting to sound like I know all the ins and outs of the game.

I don't know all the ins and outs. Never will. Again, I'm fine with that. Therefore, I don't chime in on buffs/nerfs.

I referred purely to what I view as unprofessional behavior from OWL professionals, and why I'm finished with the OWL.

Do try to comprehend what you read, okay?
The key part you apparently couldn't comprehend is "especially the people". I'm obviously not talking to you directly when saying this so great job picking the weakest part of my post and arguing against a strawman you propped up.
02/01/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Spooder
LOL that's exactly what happens here! People bandwagon one opinion and all others are downvoted into the ground!

Yes. I already said it happens here too.

It doesn't automatically make reddit better just because you agree with their hivemind over the one here. Both are horrible spots to get objective opinions on balance.
The video is clearly poking fun of Eeveea, one of the best Mercy players in the world, who just so happens to be transgendered. Her being transgendered is being explicitly used as part of the joke here. I find it absolutely reprehensible.

You have every right to make the joke and I strongly support the right to be insulting - especially as part of humour. Freedom of speech outweighs the "right to not be insulted" every single time, and this case is no exception.

And my freedom of speech allows me to call out Blizzard for the utter hypocrisy of saying you want to lower toxicity, and be inclusive, while supporting your own official channel making fun of someone explicitly for being transgendered.
02/01/2018 08:10 AMPosted by wllflwr
The key part you apparently couldn't comprehend is "especially the people". I'm obviously not talking to you directly when saying this so great job picking the weakest part of my post and arguing against a strawman you propped up.

Well, at least I now realize you don't actually understand what a strawman is. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm done with our debate.
You misrepresented my argument to make it easier to attack. Either it's a strawman and you're doing it on purpose or you're genuinely an idiot.
Wow... I'm normally NOT the person to do this.... But grow up and understand what satire is. This IS satire. It's not the person who says literally, literally every single time they literally think of something they literally wish to convey.

Is it saying, "Hahah! Suck it Mercy Mains."?

No, it's conveying... Now maybe we'll see other healer mains. That's the main message. That's why Ana calls with exciting news... and Moira is there. They're excited they'll be back in the meta (presumably) with Mercy.

As for Mercy's reaction... A slow, harrowing realization that she isn't going to be the one solely relied on in the meta ("Hahah. No. I was needing a bit of a vacation anyways...."). There are doubts, it's a grim realization, but it is what it is.

If it was malicious, it would probably involve an assumed trash talk session on the other end of the phone from Ana (and Moira) with Mercy breaking down and crying.

Grow up and actually pay attention in your English classes.

From - An English Teacher
02/01/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Mercury
The video is clearly poking fun of Eeveea, one of the best Mercy players in the world, who just so happens to be transgendered. Her being transgendered is being explicitly used as part of the joke here. I find it absolutely reprehensible.

Lol. The best doesn't go around complaining about changes and threatening to quit because of changes. They adapt and continue being the best. But W/e you say.
Snowflakes gonna snowflake
I don't remember Hog mains throwing a fit of this magnitude when he got gutted.
I wanted to make fun 'cuz of the death of Mercy, but then I got sucked off to death by Moira and I can't kill !@#$ vs quad tank, so I guess Genji died with Angela yesterday.

RIP GENGU 2016-2018
Dear insulted "Mercy Mains":

This is called "playing to your audience". OWL viewers and competitive players are flat out sick and tired of Mercy and her near 100% pick rate.

We've waited 15 or so months for OWL to kick off, and now that it's here the best Ana player on the planet has been relegated to playing Mercy. How do you think Lunatic Hai fans feel watching RyuJehongs skill utterly neutered when he's playing Mercy on Control maps? This is a guy who sleeps nano bladed Genjis like nothing. Now he's pressing shift and holding m1 to blast a beam up Pharah's !@# every few seconds.

You shouldn't be surprised that people are excited by these changes. It was pervasive in their own competitive games well before OWL began. Silly skits like this are a result of "relief" that the meta is shifting back towards something more exciting to play AND watch.

I'd also suggest you not "main" anything as that's not really the purpose of OW, and would help ease these moments for you, but that's another conversation entirely.