Acceptable accuracy

Competitive Discussion
02/05/2018 10:38 AMPosted by MetalHead
02/05/2018 10:29 AMPosted by WarriorPoet
accuracy does not matter, it is actually quite deceiving stat to judge skill on. Higher is better but the most important stat which the system does not track is hitting the shots when it counts.

you could have 60%+ accuracy and still be a terrible McCree if you don't get the hits when it really matters. A cool head to hit shots when it matters with 40% acc is better than hitting lots of accurate shots when it does not matter.

This makes no sense. How can it be better to hit 40% of the "shots that matter" when someone who is consistently hitting 60% of ALL shots is also therefore hitting 60% of the "shots that matter?" Is it better to hit 40% of the shots that matter, or 60% of the shots that matter? Why assume that someone with a 60% accuracy rating with McCree (or anyone else) is incapable of maintaining that rating "when it matters?"

because if you get flustered and flummoxed without a pocket healer in a 1v1 your dead. back to spawn. last fight in the game and you have been hitting all your shots all of a sudden the enemy mccree is ulting on high ground and it is up to you to stop him and you manage to miss twice, gg you lost the game.
I know this is going to sound comter intuitive but for tracer go onto quick play and hold down your fire button when fighting...just hold it down and tray to snap to targets between reload.

This should help you learn to stay to targets for the best effect. Once you have that down, try to stop holding the button down...

DO NOT DO THIS IN COMP. JUS QUICK PLAY. THIS IS ONLY FOR PRACTICING YOUR DAMAGE OUTPUT UP.
02/05/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Poison44
02/05/2018 04:35 AMPosted by GENJIASS
I'll keep practicing flick shots and good ults though!
(Speaking of, any high noon placement tips? I know going behind but with McCrees mobility thats often easier said than done)

I'm not a DPS player, but in Masters it seems as if Mccree's use their ults for zoning players out rather than kills (most the time)

Yes this is true, same with Meis blizzard. (I main both).

However depending on circumstances a simple "zoning tool" can become a teamwipe. With blizzard you can bait out support ults too (obviously you bait enemy cooldowns before using it for max effectiveness)

Hell sometimes it's worth it to deadeye just to reload. BUT if the enemy has a d.va or any other dive hero using the ult is like a suicide button lmao theyll all jump on you at once ( but if someone dives you you can cancel it and flashbang kill them like a tracer behind you)

Very versatile ult.
02/05/2018 10:43 AMPosted by WarriorPoet
02/05/2018 10:38 AMPosted by MetalHead

This makes no sense. How can it be better to hit 40% of the "shots that matter" when someone who is consistently hitting 60% of ALL shots is also therefore hitting 60% of the "shots that matter?" Is it better to hit 40% of the shots that matter, or 60% of the shots that matter? Why assume that someone with a 60% accuracy rating with McCree (or anyone else) is incapable of maintaining that rating "when it matters?"

because if you get flustered and flummoxed without a pocket healer in a 1v1 your dead. back to spawn. last fight in the game and you have been hitting all your shots all of a sudden the enemy mccree is ulting on high ground and it is up to you to stop him and you manage to miss twice, gg you lost the game.

Yes this is also fact. You could have 70% accuracy shooting tanks, but you're being outdueled by the enemy Mcree

Or you couldn't kill blading genji, or even Pharah. Those are the shots that really matter.
Thanks for all the McCree advice!

I'm focusing on squishies when I play him, and I've hit quite the flashbang combos on Tracers/I even hit an ulting Genji and got him killed because of it ^^/

I'm still practicing headshots, doing the infamously famous HS-only Ana practice at least once a week, -because I'm home late on week days- I'm trying to achieve 20% before I give it a break, though so far I get around 16-17% in two rounds of Oasis. Definitely room for improvement there haha!

I'll also keep the zoning in mind, I've used high noon a few times to keep the enemy off point/payloads, and even got this amazing game where I got a triple kill high noon, then took out the enemy McCree and Mei right after! I didnt even realise before our team took the point!
Practice with bots in the practice range, try to hit 10/10 headshots on the moving ones. Once you get it, change position, go higher or closer etc. After a month of doing that every day for 20-30m you will start noticing keeping track of your targets is a lot easier, but keep at it.

You also need to find your ideal mouse sens, too low and you won't be able to keep track of fast targets like gengi/tracer, too fast and you'll overaim and miss. Training range can also help with that.

Actively seek out good positions - McCree is very dependant on good positioning. Find a place that would make it hard for the enemy to get to you but make it easier for you to do work. Those spots change with rank and even between games but high ground is universally ideal.

I know this isn't much from a gold player but I placed in 900 and I've been 3000. I'm learning new heroes this season and there's been a significant learning curve :D
02/06/2018 03:34 AMPosted by ZeeBruh

I know this isn't much from a gold player but I placed in 900 and I've been 3000. I'm learning new heroes this season and there's been a significant learning curve :D

I'm gold too haha!

Nice advice though! I'm fully aware using bots can work, but they move in a pattern I know by heart now from using them as projectile prediction practice (if that makes sense, I play a lot of Zenyatta and Hanzo lmao)
I'll try looking for ideal McCree spots that aren't just the generic "behind Reinhardts shield", I know he's a duelist and I want to be able to get picks that my team can use. The lack of mobility will be hard, but I'm sure I'll get it!
My avg acc on mcree is 48%. Mid-master. Tracer is 35-40%
From a Tracer main - don't worry about your accuracy %. It may vary greatly depending on enemy comp and your strategy. For the reference, my accuracy values are 37% and 39% on 2 different low-mid Diamond accounts, but these numbers are meaningless on their own.

Sometimes I get consistent 50+% accuracy because enemies are tank-heavy and let me farm Pulse Bombs all day long. Other times it may be as low as 20-25% when opponents are mostly consist of flankers, snipers and evasive healers, or matches when I have to spend a lot of time peeling for my supports. There are also situations when a tiny bit of damage from medium-long range is just enough - don't underestimate value of finishing critically wounded Pharah/Genji, stopping Mercy regeneration or interrupting a Hack.

As a general rule, if you can consistently get kills within 1-3 clips you are good to go. Never let artificial numbers affect your decision making.
02/05/2018 04:29 AMPosted by VenteNegra
No such thing. Always try to hit more, never be satisfied.
And no reason to be afraid to go into comp. No other way to really learn.
Otherwise, just do deathmatch, watch the enemy ranks and start winning.

Don't listen to this guy on the first part. Don't go to comp yet. Especially with MCcree and your accuracy.

MCree is awesome is deathmatch...just practice him there until you are comfortable with his aim.

Deathmatch is a really good practice area for any DPS hero.
You'll enjoy playing McCree. I used to hate using him. Now he is my main pick in most games. Just a fun overall hero.
Also, focus on body shots as McCree. Going for solely head shots tends to make your damage lack luster. Then once you get good with body shots, try and aim for the neck/head area.

40-50 or above is good. But make sure to also focus on your positioning. Make sure to take the high ground. McCree may be a walking gun with legs, but he is extremely fragile and gets killed so easily. Half of McCree is just being in a good position.
Accuracy isn't that important if you are over 20%. Unless you are playing Mcree, of course. Then 100% is necessary.

The amount of time I spend just spamming chokes and getting 8% accuracy with Orisa is laughable. Yet, I frequently have the most important stat down - elims. The most important thing is securing the kill in a way where you lose little health and stay alive. Doesn't matter if you have 1% accuracy. If you killed 20-50 enemy players without dying more than 1/3 that then your accuracy is just fine.

More important than this is "did you win the game?" Nothing else matters but that. I have won games where the max kills was 3 because neither team over committed and it was a Mexican stand off until the last 20 seconds where a few players rushed the point and got destroyed. I mean, how many times have I sat on the point on KoTH maps as Reaper and won the game just from being in the right place at the right time with my ult ready and killed only a few people and done nearly no damage. It's about winning games. Getting kills is almost as important. Accuracy is meaningless in the face of the other two.
Stop focusing on meaningless stats like accuracy.

Focus on positioning.
02/06/2018 07:39 AMPosted by DaddySenpai
Stop focusing on meaningless stats like accuracy.

Focus on positioning.

I've got map knowledge down and I dont die a lot while playing support heroes, I believe this proves I know how to position myself and that I know when to back down (average death on Mercy/Zen is 5)

I'm not focusing solely on a "meaningless" stat, the fact is I dont know how to hitscan well, and I want to make sure my accuracy going into comp wont lose my team games, as I've BEEN the team losing because my DPS couldnt hit targets. I agree the number itself doesnt matter, but knowing I consistently hit 40% of shots and that its considering 'good', gives me more confidence than running into and only hitting 10%.
02/06/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Thisismy193
Accuracy isn't that important if you are over 20%. Unless you are playing Mcree, of course. Then 100% is necessary.

The amount of time I spend just spamming chokes and getting 8% accuracy with Orisa is laughable. Yet, I frequently have the most important stat down - elims. The most important thing is securing the kill in a way where you lose little health and stay alive. Doesn't matter if you have 1% accuracy. If you killed 20-50 enemy players without dying more than 1/3 that then your accuracy is just fine.

More important than this is "did you win the game?" Nothing else matters but that. I have won games where the max kills was 3 because neither team over committed and it was a Mexican stand off until the last 20 seconds where a few players rushed the point and got destroyed. I mean, how many times have I sat on the point on KoTH maps as Reaper and won the game just from being in the right place at the right time with my ult ready and killed only a few people and done nearly no damage. It's about winning games. Getting kills is almost as important. Accuracy is meaningless in the face of the other two.

elims is not the most important stat. the most important stat for DPS heroes is going to be a combination of hero damage and final blows. arguably final blows.
Personally i’d put way more emphasis on elims (especially final blows) and deaths. If those are stats are good you’re probably already at a naturally acceptable accuracy range since you’re killing the enemy a lot and dying very little.

I feel like chasing the accuracy number will have you focused on the wrong thing. You’ll start to pay attention to misses and focus on it. You’ll focus less on positioning and things of that nature.

Idk, everyone is different but that’s my 2 cents