name tricks that need practice for mercy,sym or torb

General Discussion
tricks such as pulse bomb sticking,counter charge,animation cancelling etc
just wondering if any of these characters have those
don't know about sym or mercy but torb needs tons of practice his gun is unique.
you should always keep switching turret spot as well.
02/05/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Kamran
don't know about sym or mercy but torb needs tons of practice his gun is unique.
ah forgot about that.sry fam
Mercy - bunny hoping - when is best time to cancel GA to get most to bunny hop arc, big game sense to know where are enemies and where are team players to GAto them, adapting to your options - GA to beam target - you can do nice trickes of flying up, or jumping down, hide and GA to beam target without having then in PoV, GA dancing, sym - crouching to dodge while chasing , but that is in most chars, charging beam on shields, flanking to charging orb, shoot and beam, predict before shooting with orb and most important - nice positioning for shields, teleports, and blocking ults with shield - earthshatters, pulse bombs, and etc

for symm -try to watch luminum or hoshizora, they do nice things with symm or mercy
02/05/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Kamran

Agreed.

You have to be sneaky.

This one time, I knew this Tracer was waiting to throw a pulse bomb at my turret which was around the corner.

I was waiting for the right moment. I proceeded to move my turret to a totally different location, and guess what happened. She threw her pulse bomb where my old turret used to be without even knowing;)

Always be moving your turret to keep the enemy on their toes.
For Symm, don’t start placing turrets If there is a team fight going on or when you’re pushing on attack, it will get you killed, do it afterwards. Turrets slow you down when you place them and have a relatively long cast time.
Yeah, if people knew how to place turrets better, he might have a slightly higher pick rate.

Sym is kind of the same way. You need to know how to space, and how to set up decoy turrets
I.E. Putting 2 turrents on an obviously visible spot so that the enemy will focus on them before the ones at their backs. Also location and defense of either ultimate.

Mercy's big one right now is when/who to rez. Need to see what is around the rez point, who else might die in the current battle, and if the character is needed to win the current fight (Ult ready, is it a 5v6 or a 3v6, etc).

I'm gonna throw a mei one in too. People need to realize how to use her icewall. When you get ready to summon it, you can rotate it 90° by pressing E again. If you summon it and need to drop it, hit E for a second time. Her Iceblock will only contest points, not move or capture them.
Mercy - bunny hoping - when is best time to cancel GA to get most to bunny hop arc, big game sense to know where are enemies and where are team players to GAto them, adapting to your options - GA to beam target - you can do nice trickes of flying up, or jumping down, hide and GA to beam target without having then in PoV, GA dancing, sym - crouching, charging beam on shields, flanking to charging orb, shoot and beam, predict before shooting with orb and most important - nice positioning for shields, teleports, and blocking ults with shield - earthshatters, pulse bombs, and etc
I mean would you practice that tho?
Yeah, Torb gun is really hard to use but fun once you've mastered it.

I don't know about Sym but the good Mercys I encounter are so slippery. They somehow manage it to be at the right place at the right time (floating of a cliff when there is a riptire, only to GA back after it's done, etc.). I admire that, I can't do it. I can put Zarya bubbles on teammates getting charged, hooked, Mei walls under trapped teammates or infront of enemy ults but I cannot, for the love of god, stay alive with Mercy.
Sym+ Torb: Building placement is something that can be hard to learn. You need to find places where everything isn't immediately destroyed but it can still be effective.

Mercy: Rez timing is difficult to get the hang of, too. You don't wanna die while casting it, do you?
02/05/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Zer0
tricks such as pulse bomb sticking,counter charge,animation cancelling etc
just wondering if any of these characters have those

Symmetra Trick: blocking Earthshatter with shield, Barrage when Pharah has it. Time it like you would a Zarya Bubble to block Earthshatter. Can be activated between the time you hear him say "Hammer Down" and the animation comes out.

Mercy Trick: bunny hopping with GA for momentum.
For Torb it's mainly game sense and knowing what type of turret placement you need. Running a shield comp? Utilise that shield and put it in the open. Enemy has a Pharah? Don't give her a chance to get out of range, put it in enclosed areas she can't easily reach. Holding at the choke? Have the turret face the point from the attackers side, so that if your defence breaks, the attackers have to turn around and take it out before taking the point, allowing time to get back from spawn. Holding on the point? Just put the turret in the backfield, well protected from any attacks. It's all about knowing what turret spots are best.
Using GA and the passive bunnyhop as Mercy.

You should know the best point to cancel into a hop to efficiently get to where you where you want to go, how to maintain momentum while gliding, and practice repositioning to high ground by launching yourself upwards off of teammates who are in minimum range.
Sym: Sneak up on a target manage to land one of those slow a** alt fires so you can finish off the target quickly.
Side-note: It's ill advised to try to do this to genji cause he's probably be gonna doing flips and you'll miss or worse, he deflects it, intentionally or not, and either you screwed over a team mate or he'll hit you with it and you're dead with a quick RMB+dash.

Torb: His gun is really strong if you're good at aiming it, to the point that sniping widows can be a semi-regular thing. A headshot + bodyshot is all it takes to take down a 200 hp hero, and his alt fire is as effective as roadhog's primary, perhaps stronger. I say roadhog's gun and not reaper's because the shotgun blast isn't hitscan but projectile based
Torb Trick:

Just because torb is set for defense does not mean he cant be used for attack. The best attack method for an attack torb.. is to put your turret in plane sight.. Easy to access.

It sounds crazy right? Torbs goal is to keep the turret alive right? ...

No, Not on attack. Torb has a really nice head shot mechanic .. but his main issue is getting close to use that shogun blast of his. Use your turret to bait tanks in and rip them to shreds once they are focused on your turret.

Two things happen during this kind of play...

#1) Tanks are no longer protecting and shielding their own dps\healers leaving them wide open... (*wink* you should know what to do here) Allowing you to deal crazy amounts of damage to the tank even if they focus you. Its a lose lose situation to a tank that flys at the turret. They lose sight of you and you shred them or they lose sight of your turret and it shreds them still.

Notes for you:

Using torb is exactly like using 2 heros at the same time almost. When playing torb kinda treat it that way. Sit your turret down then.. forget about it. Kill anybody who drops their focus and goes straight for your turret.

Now it may be a bit less effective if you aren't great at aiming.. you can counter snip heros like junkrat, mccree, Zenyatta and sometimes widow. Only if your aim is good with the primary fire though.

People generally have no idea how to deal with this kind of play. Its almost like fighting a 7v6 if you're smart.
02/05/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Zer0
Mercy - bunny hoping - when is best time to cancel GA to get most to bunny hop arc, big game sense to know where are enemies and where are team players to GAto them, adapting to your options - GA to beam target - you can do nice trickes of flying up, or jumping down, hide and GA to beam target without having then in PoV, GA dancing, sym - crouching, charging beam on shields, flanking to charging orb, shoot and beam, predict before shooting with orb and most important - nice positioning for shields, teleports, and blocking ults with shield - earthshatters, pulse bombs, and etc
I mean would you practice that tho?

Mercy - yes, i did have disabled GA to beam options, now refocusing it on, because it give more space to adapt, especially when flankers are on you, if you bunny hop at the wrong moment, you will not go so far away how did you needed, also disabling GA is a little problem for me, because i have toogle GA options, so i don have enough time to disable it again and it sometime throw me somewhere where i dont want to be - like on ground while ulting, sense of game and GA dancing, sometimes it happens that widow or S76 in your backline are you safety lines, you need to know when theymove from that position to other spaces or they are chasng something, because it lowers a lot your reactivity if you turn and they are nowhere and yu need to get out ASAP

symmetra - i dont really crouch so much as i should, but symm noot te keep herselv alive so her beam ramp a lot, charging beams on shields is habit that need to be acquired, likewise first orb then beam, i saw so many symm faulting in trying to flank and starting with beam, predicting with orbs is in more of that you force enemy to not go that way, her orbs do a lot dmg and go though shields, so shooting at hanamura to right, you will most likely force them to building where you have turrets, turrets setting, you know when is the right time to set them, if your team is wining so you can afford while team fighting set 1-2 turrets which will increase your chances or dying while trying to set them up, blocking ults is always thing to adapt
Mercy has a lot of "optimization" in her kit.

So anything can really be considered a trick but if it is something like sticking a pulse bomb, it would be Vertical Guardian Angle or Super-jump as some call it.

This is a really high skill ability that i haven't seen many players actually utilize, and it can have a huge impact on your movement throughout a game. Its not something easy to do and it can easily get you put into a bad position where you can be easily killed. The skill in this is : 1) Doing the movement 2) knowing when its safe and when it isnt to do the movement 3) Knowing how this movement can translate to other types of things to change the way you move (more extensive than it seems) 4) Ensuring that when you do this movement you have a immediate plan to back out.
With Sym, try to open with an alt-fire Orb before you start the Microwave, front loading 125 will help start the engagement and help punch through any layer of armor your target has.
Sym GM-level trick:

Charge a ball, let loose on an incoming tracer followed up with a slap. You'll insta-kill one of your hardest counters.

I can't pull it off reliably, although some top-500 sym one-tricks can.

Easier trick:

Make Pharah blow herself up by tossing an umbrella at her while she's raining justice. Sym's umbrella is really fun to use against a wide variety of ultimates.
Mercy bunny hop slingshots are fairly simple, but her super jumps require some more practice. You can shoot yourself up practically halfway to the skybox if you do it right!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTsrzly9tU

This is a very thorough video explaining how to do it and showing examples of good places to use it.