Mercy - 4,000 posts and 2 weeks later. Any updates?

General Discussion
Just curious if the devs / Jeff have any updates for us Mercy players. Are you even considering the fact that she might be over-nerfed, and possibly throwing us some kind of bone? Or are you still in a wait and see pattern?

Even the most fervent anti-mercy players agree she has been over-tuned to the point of making her ultimate extremely lackluster by comparison to other ults. Sure, many people are happy to see her being less required in matches (I am one of them, believe it or not...) and of course there are a few people who think shes balanced now (Pssst, shes not), but overall the consensus as far as my rose colored glasses have seen is that it was too much.

(If you would like my full thoughts on the matter, they are here, where they belong: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761088072?page=52#post-1040 )

Follow up question, why didn't we use PTR to wait and see? Or is PTR not the intended place to test balance? I'm still not super clear on why massive sweeping changes to a character's balance were pushed to live after pages and pages of people saying it was too much, and *now* we're waiting and seeing how things flush out. Meanwhile most Mercy fans are just not enjoying themselves at all.

Not that anyone probably cares, but I'm just not enjoying the game right now. Mercy is who I like playing, its who I played before she got reworked, and its who I played through all the post-rework changes (Changes she definitely needed). But now its just not fun. I've got no interest in playing the game anymore until shes fixed.

So humbly requesting an update from ya'll. Or is it going to be months before we have enough data to encourage a buff?
Highly Rated
Jeff literally said a few days ago that they're waiting for the dust to settle first to see. Give it some time, man.
02/13/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Direwolf20
Follow up question, why didn't we use PTR to wait and see? Or is PTR not the intended place to test balance?
Not enough players jump into the PTR to test changes.

I'm still not super clear on why massive sweeping changes to a character's balance were pushed to live after pages and pages of people saying it was too much
Same happened to Roadhog, Bastion, Ana (which they revert) and so on, it's not uncommon, on the other hand there was pages and pages about Mercy becoming trash after the first rework, instead we all saw she got a lot stronger and had close to (if not) 100% pickrate because of it.

Blizzard has the numbers, they can't just listen to this or that side of the community too much, there is always someone in favor or against the updates and changes they push through.
Who even cares lol
It took them months of op moth Mercy to respond and nerf. Likewise with Hog when he needed a little pick me up after his nerf. You can wait a few months for them to gather data and respond.

Personally I think her balance is closer than it has ever been in the past.
Please, explain to me what made Mercy fun.

I'm willing to bet you're going to focus on an ult and that is going to be the core of your debate; an ult.
Seconds most used healer overall, and tied with Ana in Masters and GM.
She's not being reverted to 1.0.
Are you even considering the fact that she might be overtuned
Overtuned now? That can’t be what you mean...also she will most likely be left to rot now since they’ve already said they think she’s fine.
Are you even considering the fact that she might be overtuned

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I have a piggy back question for the devs. Disregarding win rates/pick rates/ balance for the moment - do you feel that Mercy is in a fun/dynamic place? Do you like the current iteration of Valkyrie design wise? Do you feel that it's fun and impactful / impactful feeling? Do you feel like current Valkyrie lives up to its initial goal of making Mercy's gameplay feel more involved? Was it a suitably iconic/fun replacement for mass res? Do you think the community at large shares these opinions, and if not - why not?
02/13/2018 02:00 PMPosted by KulstorEbrou
I'm willing to bet you're going to focus on an ult and that is going to be the core of your debate; an ult.

In fairness she basically doesn't have an ult right now. Ults should be fun. Ults should be an opportunity to make a big impact on a team fight. You are a Torb main, imagine if they made Molten Core largely cosmetic. I don't think you would be so quick to dismiss concerns if they were about a hero you are invested in.
02/08/2018 10:45 AMPosted by Mercy
02/08/2018 10:06 AMPosted by righthere
So anyone have a link to this latest confirm post? Web fu failing me today. Thanks!
02/07/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We have no plans to revert Mercy. We also feel like she's not in a horrible place or unplayable.

It's still to be determined if she is exactly where she should be because it has been too soon and the dust needs to settle. Her playtime in QP and Comp is still incredibly high. Her winrate is still above 50% but more in line with what we'd expect.

But I'd like to put the notion that Mercy is going to be reverted to rest.

Also, we don't agree with the statement that all supports are weak. Support heroes are extremely powerful and impactful in OW.

I've done this in a previous post, I'm copying it here. Sorry for the length.

Mercy is the most fun hero for me, bar none. I know that many people don't understand what's fun about her, and what's the problem with her now, and I'd like to do my honest best to explain it, which might be a bit long.

I mostly play with a group of friends. I have on occasion spectated the non Mercy players playing her, and I agree - it doesn't look like a lot of fun. They mostly stand behind the tanks and hold down M1.

But that's not my experience with her. Here's how I feel with her. I'm spinning around trying to keep track of every single person on the battlefield. I'm in constant motion, trying to keep up with 5 other players who are not necessarily all in the same spot or even close. Many of them are wounded, and I have to keep them all up. I need to know what's going to happen, because I can only be in one place at a time, and I need to be in the right place when the important damage is coming in. I also need not to be in that damage. If I die we lose. I need to plan routes from one group to the next. I need the routes to be efficient so I can get there quickly, using people as waypoints, planning on healing my waypoints in transit from one side of the map to the other. Yes, I'm very mobile and mobility is powerful, but with great power comes great responsibility. I need to heal everyone, because I'm the one that's able to.

No one is allowed to die, but above all I can't die, because if I die we lose the fight. This is made complicated because I'm the most hunted character in the game. I need to dodge, weave, juke, hide, and outfox all the enemy players because they're looking for me, and if they find me they'll kill me. So I need to be as crafty as I can, all while being in the thick of danger because that's where I'm needed. And if someone does happen to die, I need to start making decisions about whether or not to res, and whether or not I can pull it off, and whether or not it's worth the risk, and where to hide to get it done.

It's a very different experience from playing her passively. I've had friends spectate me as Mercy. They've told me that it was the most frenetic and stressful Overwatch experience they've had for a while, that I was everywhere, that they always kind of assumed that I was with them when we played, and never realized how much I was with everyone at the same time.

Usually, it's exhilarating. I'm planning several steps ahead. I'm prioritizing and making decision all the time. I'm trying to play the whole battle in my head, keeping track of our team and the enemy's. I'm trying to make sure I keep everyone alive, while staying alive myself. I'm playing a trickster character trying to outwit the whole enemy team.

No, I don't need to aim that often (I do go battle Mercy when the situation calls for it). But isn't that compelling to me. I don't come from a FPS background, so the ability to click on particular pixels and not others was never my idea of fun. I enjoy the other aspects of her kit.

So that brings me to her current problem. When you play dps, you come in wanting to destroy the enemy team. You want to get off that ult that kills 4 of them and wins the fight. You want to headshot 3 people in a row as widow. You want to be the hero.

Support players want those moments too. For a support, that kind of moment consists of putting your foot down and saying - No, not today. Today you don't die. Today you survive through some crazy stuff that you had no business surviving, and you go on and win the fight.

For all the fun that Mercy's base kit brings, her main impact on any given fight is to survive so she can supply a steady stream of moderate influence. Her mass res use to be her impactful, heroic moment. The moment that made all that dodging and escaping and tricking worth it, because you got to step into the spotlight and change the outcome of a fight, and be the hero. The moment where the trickster finally turns the tables on its hunters. Sometimes it didn't work out so well, but it was worth it for the times that it did.

The complaints you're hearing from Mercy players now address this need. Valkyrie goes against all of her gameplay. It makes her too survivable, too disengaged from the battle, it removes her decision making, and all the while it can't really be high impact because it lasts so long. It's a boring ult, that while it might be useful, doesn't really feel strong or impactful.

Compound that with the fact that what used to be her high impact ability is now an unpleasant shadow of itself. It's not fun, it can quite often kill you, it messes with her movement flow, and it doesn't have the oomph that it used to. Yes, it's really useful, but it's not great to use. Also, it serves as a constant reminder of what it used to be.

Essentially, Mercy players like Mercy's base kit. But it's only part of the narrative that you want when playing her. Everyone wants those POTG moments when they feel heroic. Mercy players want them too. Valkyrie is not supplying that, and something needs to change.

I have a counter arguement to this one too!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761776225?page=1
I have over twice as much time on mercy as my second played hero. I want a change asap, but I think they need more time to test and get it right. I'll expect uprising for a buff.
02/13/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Trogdor
In fairness she basically doesn't have an ult right now. Ults should be fun. Ults should be an opportunity to make a big impact on a team fight.

Valk is a good ult for making a push. It's not flashy, but it gets the job done. Similar to Widow Walls, Nanoboost, Supercharger.

Could Mercy use a buff? Probably. I posted a whole thread of ideas before it got locked. But the idea that Mercy "doesn't have an ult right now" isn't a fair assessment of the situation.
02/13/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Bex
I have over twice as much time on mercy as my second played hero. I want a change asap, but I think they need more time to test and get it right. I'll expect uprising for a buff.

Bostons a great team but I dont think they have any plans to ask Blizzard for a Mercy buff. They have lots of Lucio mains.
Mercy is just completely soulless, skill-less, and boring to play right now. There's nothing fun or engaging about Valkyrie, there never has been. This whole rework just stinks, but they'll continue to tout it as a "success". It's frustrating.
02/13/2018 01:56 PMPosted by Fragehardt
Jeff literally said a few days ago that they're waiting for the dust to settle first to see. Give it some time, man.

The problem is that the only thing that time can tell is whether or not she's in a balanced spot power wise. The brunt of the complaint is that she's in a bad spot in terms of fun factor. The nerf was a heavy handed attempt to achieve balance, with very little consideration of the Mercy player experience. No amount of statistics will show that because it's not a statistical problem.

I think that what I would want from Jeff is a statement of the form - We think that Mercy is balanced right now, but we feel that her ult feels a bit disengaging and lack luster and that resurrection could use some quality of life adjustments. We're looking into ways of addressing these concerns in the future. This may take some time, since we want to get it right.