Is Symmetra still meta in CTF?

General Discussion
So blizz just announced competitive Capture the Flag. I love the gamemode because I love Symmetra and she was awesome then with a strong defined role (defend and protect).

I haven't play the mode much since the last CNY and when I do play in arcade, I go for other heroes.

But I also notice less Symmetra when I enter the game. Just wondering before I jump in the game, whether is she still pretty meta in CTF? And if so, how so? Like am I expected to get into voice chat war just so I can play my favorite and most quickplayed hero?
Bastion, Torb, and Syn will be the comp CTF meta without a doubt, lol.
Sneaky teleporters pls?
02/06/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Manular
Sneaky teleporters pls?

I normally go for shield gen because it helps me defend if i have to solo defend but i can see tp being useful in attack.

02/06/2018 06:09 PMPosted by CrankyPants

During last year event, i didnt think bastion and torb were that good. Symm only counter was Winston and even Pharah has problem landing without being zapped. But torb and bastion are a little more straightforward to deal with. I usually prefer pairing it with junk trap to slow enemy while i melt them
Turrets probably won't be as good as they used to be because you can now pick up the flag instantly. But defensive oriented heroes will probably always be stronger in CTF than in standard Overwatch
Why wouldn't Symmetra be meta? If anything, she will be even better with the new changes in place. With movement abilities being restricted upon flag pickup, her turrets and primary fire will more likely kill just about anyone since they can't get away so easily. The only exception I can think of is Lucio.

I imagine teamwork will become more prominent which may or may not affect that, but that's how I imagine she will be.
02/06/2018 06:09 PMPosted by CrankyPants

Goes without saying, however, depending on how well teams can work together to break through such a defense, I wouldn't be opposed to disabling them.
Symmetra isnt meta in CTF. She never was and she wont be meta anytime soon.
Maybe on some maps you can setup a sneaky TP, but usually, she is F-Tier just like in Competetiv if not worse.
She is outplayed and countered by Torbjörn in every way.
Sudden death rules exist because of the Sym/Torb/Bastion campout on the flag. They won't be nearly as effective this year.
02/06/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Bisalissy
Maybe on some maps you can setup a sneaky TP, but usually, she is F-Tier just like in Competetiv if not worse.

Hahahahaha

Ok man.
02/06/2018 06:19 PMPosted by blarneystone
Turrets probably won't be as good as they used to be because you can now pick up the flag instantly. But defensive oriented heroes will probably always be stronger in CTF than in standard Overwatch

I was thinking the same thing especially symm cant chase after people. Maybe torb would be better in this regard but i never like playing him.
Clearly you don’t play a good sym
02/06/2018 06:27 PMPosted by dradventure
Clearly you don’t play a good sym

Or thinks both her and Torbjorn can't be on the team simultaneously.
Symmetra is still good at ctf. Unless they've changed it, you have to cap the flag without taking any damage (taking damage resets your capping progress). Having her turrets all over the place and getting poke damage through barriers makes it a nightmare to cap for the other team.

*Edit: After browsing the forums a bit more, from what I understand you'll be able to instantly capture the flag, so symmetra probably won't be as good
Junk will be meta since you can use his mines to quickly get back with the flag.
02/06/2018 06:37 PMPosted by Safryz
Junk will be meta since you can use his mines to quickly get back with the flag.
Jeff said that characters with mobility skills who attempt to use said skills whilst holding the flag will drop it. Source - dev update, can't libj cos on mobile.

you..did watch the video did you?
Jeff said that characters with mobility skills who attempt to use said skills whilst holding the flag will drop it. Source - dev update, can't link cos on mobile.
I think Lucio, Junkrat, Torb, Symm will all be really good. Lucio for the speedboost and Junkrat since he can lay a trap on the flag or at an opening, Torb and Symm for obvious reasons. I think Orisa, Mei, Winston and D.va also might be good because of their crowd control and protection. CTF meta is probably my favorite in the game tbh.
02/06/2018 06:40 PMPosted by CrankyPants
Jeff said that characters with mobility skills who attempt to use said skills whilst holding the flag will drop it. Source - dev update, can't libj cos on mobile.

02/06/2018 06:40 PMPosted by SunsetHippo

you..did watch the video did you?

02/06/2018 06:41 PMPosted by CrankyPants
Jeff said that characters with mobility skills who attempt to use said skills whilst holding the flag will drop it. Source - dev update, can't link cos on mobile.

I don’t know for sure, but I saw this post and Blizz might be using the same rules since the option to drop flag is already in custom games.

Post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761656724#post-6

Edit: I did watch it.
Torbjorn and Symmetra were mostly meta because their turrets HAD to be destroyed to pick up the flag most of the time. Because in the old ruleset you couldn't pick it up while taking damage.
But you can supposedly pick up the flag instantly now, regardless of damage. You just can't use mobility or invulnerability moves to escape with it.

So a Winston could jump in and pick up the flag instantly, place the shield to block Torb's turret damage, and then walts out destroying any Symm turrets in his path. He gets the flag out of the base practically for free against these two.
Sure he can't use any mobility to get out, but he can pass it to a teammate out of the range of turrets, or just be speedboosted.

Nothing against Symmetra or Torb, but unless the new map has a super hard choke they're going to be a heck of a lot weaker than they were in the original mode.