What ping range is playable in Overwatch?

General Discussion
I play with ~40 ping. That seems to be the most playable. Anything over 60 is bad for me.
02/08/2018 07:52 PMPosted by ComftblyNumb
02/08/2018 06:04 PMPosted by ARCTURUS
For HitScan DPS below 150ms is the best
For the game in general anything below 200ms

wow that high? I remember back in the Quake days we used to call anyone with a ping over 100 a HPB and those under would be LPBs. I can't imagine a 150 ping would feel anywhere near as good as 20. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe todays netcodes have improved so much that it feels the same. it's been around 2 hours now and its still downloading the patch. appreciate your fast speeds people. this truly sucks. At least I have a month to cancel the service.
Games like Tribes and Quake with huge maps and lots of projectiles are more sensitive to ping. I remember 60 ping would frustrate me in Tribes. For OW, 170ms ping (what I get on EU) is fine. Not great, but playable.
as someone with an extremely variable ping
I have experienced all of the possible pings up to 400

Hit scan generally works decently up to 110 ping beyond that you'll start getting non hits on quick targets

Doomfist cannot be decently played beyond 60 ping

accurate projectile weapons start getting wonky at 80ping (Hanzo Mei Torb)

Unaccurate Projectile weapons start getting wonky at 160ping (junkrat Moria orbs)

Quick defensive abilities become practically useless at 110 ping but become pretty noticeable around 75ping this includes things like Angling Reinhardts shield or D.va's defense Matrix/Zarya Bubble/Genji deflect/Mei Block ect

Queing abilities get Twitchy around 160 (Mei Wall set up Junkrat Landmines Moria Orb decision ect)

the game starts lying to you at 130ping when it comes to projectiles
Showing improper fire timing rates and arcs

Example:if you throw a junkrat mine diagonally at a wall it will land on the wall following a normal looking arc then Teleport to where "it's actually at"

Example 2: Doomfists hand cannon will fire like normal against walls but if an enemy is lined up with the shot it will start stalling unnaturally

Example 3: Hanzo releases an arrow against a wall like normal then turns to fire a shot that would hit an enemy the arrow fires reappears in the bow and fires a second time from where you were half a second ago

there are also some strange things that happen with Moria's ult at 200ping where the enemy will just strait up eat it even up close

there might be more things to mention but i hope this helps you with your ping related questions
I really struggle at anything over 50ms. 30ms is pretty much the holy grail for me but I can feel the difference when it's at 50 or higher. It's also really tilting, especially if you blink as Tracer and then the game just pulls you back to where you were because it couldn't keep up.
When I played with a friend overseas I was getting ping of 140 which made it pretty annoying to play dps, I usually get around 15.

But I can usually play a healer or a tank without too much trouble.

This is at around low gold rank. I assume at higher ranks it will make more of an impact
02/08/2018 11:23 PMPosted by SirRender
as someone with an extremely variable ping
I have experienced all of the possible pings up to 400

Hit scan generally works decently up to 110 ping beyond that you'll start getting non hits on quick targets

Doomfist cannot be decently played beyond 60 ping

accurate projectile weapons start getting wonky at 80ping (Hanzo Mei Torb)

Unaccurate Projectile weapons start getting wonky at 160ping (junkrat Moria orbs)

Quick defensive abilities become practically useless at 110 ping but become pretty noticeable around 75ping this includes things like Angling Reinhardts shield or D.va's defense Matrix/Zarya Bubble/Genji deflect/Mei Block ect

Queing abilities get Twitchy around 160 (Mei Wall set up Junkrat Landmines Moria Orb decision ect)

the game starts lying to you at 130ping when it comes to projectiles
Showing improper fire timing rates and arcs

Example:if you throw a junkrat mine diagonally at a wall it will land on the wall following a normal looking arc then Teleport to where "it's actually at"

Example 2: Doomfists hand cannon will fire like normal against walls but if an enemy is lined up with the shot it will start stalling unnaturally

Example 3: Hanzo releases an arrow against a wall like normal then turns to fire a shot that would hit an enemy the arrow fires reappears in the bow and fires a second time from where you were half a second ago

there are also some strange things that happen with Moria's ult at 200ping where the enemy will just strait up eat it even up close

there might be more things to mention but i hope this helps you with your ping related questions

Thanks so much, that was very useful.
180 max
02/08/2018 11:43 PMPosted by RunAway
I really struggle at anything over 50ms. 30ms is pretty much the holy grail for me but I can feel the difference when it's at 50 or higher. It's also really tilting, especially if you blink as Tracer and then the game just pulls you back to where you were because it couldn't keep up.

Been playing Tracer all night in CTF and yup, I keep getting the odd blink warp backwards.
My game usually hovers at around 65ms, so I have no problem with that. I've also played at around 90ms and around 120ms, and is all fine. But when the game starts wildly going from 65ms to 90ms and back, up and down, up and down, up and down... that's when it starts to feel unplayable.
Unplayable after 70 for me so I swap to anything that isn't a hitscan
02/08/2018 06:04 PMPosted by ARCTURUS
For HitScan DPS below 150ms is the best
For the game in general anything below 200ms
That sounds horrible. If mine goes up over 80 I start to feel it. I hover around 15-20.
I get around 20 on EU servers and about 110 on US and it is a very noticaeable difference on a hit scan. Not so much on other characters.

Occasional spikes on US can get annnoying on tanks tho, like putting your shield up but the shots passing the shield while it looks like its there to you.
My ping floats around 650 and, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I end up playing a lot of Sym, Mercy, and, now, Moira.

It's not entirely terrible as long as you're good at predicting where the enemy will go. I can get kills as Mercy pretty consistently at this point, even with 650 ping. The only time it's a ball buster is when you're trying to use a movement ability or escape from a D.Va ultimate.
02/09/2018 12:48 AMPosted by Snurtlicious
My ping floats around 650 and, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I end up playing a lot of Sym, Mercy, and, now, Moira.

It's not entirely terrible as long as you're good at predicting where the enemy will go. I can get kills as Mercy pretty consistently at this point, even with 650 ping. The only time it's a ball buster is when you're trying to use a movement ability or escape from a D.Va ultimate.

What the eff. Are you kidding me? How is that even remotely playable?

Well, as for me. My ping seems to float around 60-70 most times now, which would be fine, but the problem is I keep getting disconnected before the games end. I'm lucky if I can get through one or two games before everyone just freezes around me mid fight, and the next thing I see I'm disconnected. Not sure if anything can be done about that. Oh well. First world problems. I'm sure a better ISP is out there somewhere.
My WIFI Connection at work is 14ms and home cable connection is 24ms really good connections. How anyone can play over 100 is beyond me..
i only experience rubberbanding if my ping is much smaller than the rtt.
PNG: 18ms | RTT: 48ms => rubberbanding, shot/position inconsitency
PNG: 50ms | RTT: 58ms => no rubberbanding, smooth gameplay, i hit more.

Blizzard EXPLAIN THIS.
02/09/2018 01:56 AMPosted by ComftblyNumb

I mean, I have like a 67% winrate across all modes and I've always played OW like this. The last like two seasons of comp, I've done my placements with actually good internet and made it to Diamond as Sym with like an 85% win rate.

Maybe I'm just that good, baby. B)
02/08/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Zer0
phara is playable until 200ping

She's playable until she starts glitching out of the sky... Usually around 120ms.

After that she's just an easy target on the ground, since her flying is dependent on repeatedly pressing space and once the game disconnects your inputs, you fall out of the sky.
02/09/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Snurtlicious
02/09/2018 01:56 AMPosted by ComftblyNumb

I mean, I have like a 67% winrate across all modes and I've always played OW like this. The last like two seasons of comp, I've done my placements with actually good internet and made it to Diamond as Sym with like an 85% win rate.

Maybe I'm just that good, baby. B)

A ping of 650 means you are 0.65 seconds removed from the game. Over half a second behind. No wonder you win -- you're likely rubberbanding like crazy. Most hits against you probably don't register due to such high discrepancies. You really shouldn't even be playing at all with that level of lag, because chances are, you're really screwing up peoples games.
02/08/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Dust
I get to a Blizzard owned server physically in Seattle in 11 ms. Can't do anything about physical distance and the speed of light.

But then Blizzard takes another 40ms moving it around 4 or 5 of their own hops. Short of pressuring my ISP to use a different next hop (and skip Blizzard's slow routing), not much I can do about that either.

In short, if I have 11ms more ping than city folk, I'm fine with that. That's the cost of my rustic lifestyle. But when people in the city have like 20ms ping, I get jealous. Because that means Blizzard is routing them better than me.

Note: Blizzard doesn't always send yoy to the closest server either. I get put on LAX a lot instead of SEA.

What the heck, there is a Seattle Server? I'm on Vancouver Island, and I almost always am in LAX....I've never gone lower than 38 ping.