Is the refusal to revert Mercy an ego thing?

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 16 Next
No, it's more of a role thing.

This is old (still kind of fun/funny) Mercy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6of0sq76Vo

tbh it was kind of fun hiding. But look at all the waiting. Look at all the non-action. Look at all the strategically letting my team die, instead of doing my job, just to use my Rez to the max. Still, it was kinda fun to pop out and go PSYCHE!!! and bring 3-5 of my teammates back to life lmao.

Objectively, it was counter-intuitive to Mercy's design as a 24/7 battle medic. She's meant to be in the fray of the fight doing something with her MB1/MB2. The moment she stops doing that, she's technically being useless and should not be rewarded for doing so. Yet she was rewarded anyway. Thus messing up rankings in competitive with crap Mercys who only knew about standing still+MB1 and Rez+hiding winding up in Diamond.

So it's not ego that's stopping them from swapping back. It's the fact that her Rez was best used by doing the direct opposite of her main job/role. Imagine if Zarya's best use of Graviton was to stop enemies so her team can escape instead of gathering enemies to pummel them. It'd be like "Wait. WTF is this? She's made to melt and destroy, not go LOL HOLD ON NO U DONT U STAY RITE DERE U MEAN JERKS WHILE WE SKEDADDLE TEEHEE~!!!"

tl;dr it's to make sure Mercy is rewarded for doing what Mercy should be doing. It's to make sure bad Mercys don't get to super high ranks for doing anti-Mercy-role things. It's to stop the bad kind of "one tricking" that people keep whining about.
02/08/2018 10:54 PMPosted by Osprey
I'm genuinely curious.

You say that but I don't believe you.

It'd have to be, right? When something you make with good (questionable) intentions turns out to be a catastrophic failure, and the changes you make to try and fix what you broke winds up killing a hero's fun-factor for a huge portion of your playerbase...

See, your premise is all broke right there. You're spending far too much time in echo chambers where you only talk to and listen to people that agree with you. This has led you to the false impression that your opinion of the rework is the majority. It isn't.

It's honestly bewildering how some game developers can be so disconnected from everything.

Most of us get a very similar feeling about you when we read posts like this. I am being totally honest with you and trying to help you get over it. You just need to start facing the reality that you are blowing things out of proportion in spectacular ways. The reason you find the situation to be so monumentally hard to understand is because your perception of it is so monumentally out of whack. There is literally a direct relationship at work here.
02/09/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Rylath
No. I was actually a good Mercy

SR : 1651

its so funny seeing mercy ONE TRICKS, not mains (because if you mained her you would still be playing the game, not saying 'theres nothing left for me to do now') whine about changes just because she doesnt get an instarez now.

shes meant to be healing, thats what you do with her. she's the least skill-intensive hero in the entire game with a passive self heal and a 2second cooldown escape. she has 0 aim requirement. so why should she even be a contender for the best or most powerful support? she should be the least powerful support in the game because of how forgiving and new player friendly she is

and she still has a rez, now people are complaining because they have to perform it safely, something mercys still cant seem to understand when to do. i think thats why the instarez is missed so much, because most mercy players have no idea when to rez and just do it and die, so at least with instarez there was less risk of dying

i cant count how many times since her rework i've been rez'd or attempted to be rezd in the middle of enemies and either the mercy dies, or i get rez'd and we both die
02/09/2018 09:00 AMPosted by ClaritySoul

Old mercy had that burst of happiness and energy when you ulted with a very great voice line and effects

So her entire kit is unfun except her old ult?
If so then she needs more of a rework.
if not then she still has that fun and more with the better flying around (ulting and GAing) and being able to rez more often plus using skill, timing, and positioning to rez should feel even more rewarding.
02/09/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Jz5109
First of all. This mercy nerf is by far, the most needed thing for the game. Here is the reason. She can't fix your mistakes anymore. If you get picked because you are out of position, then that's on you. And you need to work on your own playstyle. It was annoying in every game, you have to have a mercy and if you don't you lose. Now all the healers are playable including the new mercy. Mercy is now a healer and not a, let me rez my team who got caught. Personally, if you can't adapt to the new mercy or any other healer, you deserve to drop in rank. Period. Thanks for the nerf jeff. I'll be showing support in stage 2 with posters.
These complaints are completely justified. She is becoming unusable. All she has now really is healing and infinite ammo in ultimate to a crappy gun. Lucio group heals and speed boost plus his ultimate which really helps in a bind. Zenyatta has discord to help along with his healing and his ultimate to stop his team from being dropped. Ana can shut down someone with her sleep dart and heal with her grenade and stop the enemy from healing and her ultimate boosts someone she hits it with. Well, Mercy has good healing and a suicide button. Go to res a teammate to even the fight and make yourself a huge target and her ultimate isn't that good at all. Just go play damaging class. You just want Mercy to stay an easy target so you have to work less for your kills.
02/09/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Chalklate
02/09/2018 11:40 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou

[/quote]

Here's another one.

If your concept of what makes a character fun or boring is entirely based off an ULT.... You probably don't realistically find that hero fun. You probably don't like that hero in the grand scheme of things. Play a different hero.

I'd even go as far as to say your concept of fun is how much effect you can get from the least amount of work/risk.

Or maybe Mercy players realize that Valkyrie is basically a slightly more dependable versions of Zen's discord orb, Moira's healing ball, and Pharah's flight glued together. Two E's that you can't even use at the same time and a passive glued together doesn't make an ult.

Also... it wasn't just the ult, it was her whole playstyle. Granted her playstyle was built around her ult being what it was... but the whole thing was the fun part. Old Mercy's playstyle was simply... survive. Due to how her blaster works she very rarely fights directly... so she was built around having the tools to survive if you were smart and being useful while doing that with a BIG reward for pulling it off.

E Res and Valk both break that playstyle. E Res does by completely taking your survival out of your hands. Valkyrie does by... well by being lame. It isn't good or exciting enough to be worth being nearly helpless and target #1.
First of all. This mercy nerf is by far, the most needed thing for the game. Here is the reason. She can't fix your mistakes anymore. If you get picked because you are out of position, then that's on you. And you need to work on your own playstyle. It was annoying in every game, you have to have a mercy and if you don't you lose. Now all the healers are playable including the new mercy. Mercy is now a healer and not a, let me rez my team who got caught. Personally, if you can't adapt to the new mercy or any other healer, you deserve to drop in rank. Period. Thanks for the nerf jeff. I'll be showing support in stage 2 with posters.

Agreed that she shouldn't be able to just erase other players mistakes every 30 seconds. Nerfs were needed.

However, they also removed a lot of the 'engagement' with her character. Her ult now removes her from a fight, leaving her with no reason to risk flying down, and she no real 'skillful' abilities to try and turn a fight around. At this point I think they should consider removing (Or reworking the basic function of) rez completely if they do not wish to put it back as an ultimate, so they'll have room to give her an ability that is more 'engaging' or 'skillful'.
I main D.va, so my advice is try to expand your hero pool while waiting for the dust to settle on mercy. Getting salty about the changes now will only lead to a really bad time in game. Trust the devs to iterate a few times until they find a state for Mercy that is both balanced, AND keeps the soul or feeling of the hero for her players. This may take a while, but try not to get too frustrated with the pace. They're not going to abandon her, they'll make it work eventually.

That being said, reverts are always off the table generally speaking.
No.. it's an e-sports thing. The "director" of this game has to do what executives tell him to do - and that's to make e-sports more "pew pew".
I love these mercy changes. All the crybabies crawl out of the woodwork to complain. They won't even admit that when a character has a 90%+ pickrate that means there's a problem lmao
I play alot of Mercy in comp but consider myself a healer main not a Mercy main. I try to play ANY healer that is best for the situation and team comp.

I do not think is it an ego thing. I think they listened to the feedback and incorporated changes. In my opinion the recent changes AS well as the removal of huge rez are steps in the right direction from a balance perspective.

Based on what I see Blizzard is not going to revert Mercy, you need to deal with it.

I would like to see a survey that goes out to anyone with over 5 hours on Mercy in competitive play the last 2 competitive seasons with a variety of questions concerning the changes. I think you would find many people like the changes. I play all healer and the team I play with loves my Mercy burst healing, Yesterday in a low plat game I had 76% kill participation with Mercy, she is still one of the best supports and fun to play in my opinion.

Personally I like Valkyrie, I did not like the old Mercy 1.0 rez ability.

Additionally I think the movement changes to guardian angel, made awhile ago, make her more agile and fun to play. For real I can stay in the air nearly the WHOLE game now if I use a few movement tricks. She is really fun to play if you use guardian angel to whisk back and forth around the battlefield.

Also, another bit of perspective..... I suggest those frustrated with her changes learn all the other healers to fill the role when Mercy isn't cutting it. This game is really about filling a role on a team not "maining" or just playing one character
I dont think its an ego thing, they obviously changed it because it was deemed that those mechanics had something inherently wrong with them, even though its better than the changes its still not what they want the character to be.
02/09/2018 11:30 AMPosted by FFirebrandd
02/09/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Quest
My God. Mass rez incentivized Mercy to at times allow and even desire the death of teammates. Contradictory to the role of a healer, and honestly the only hero where a teammate dying at times can be desirable. Ie: Die and catch the rez, or risk being shot down and miss the rez etc. Broken gameplay.

This has been explained so many times. Mass rez was deemed, rightfully so, as unhealthy for the game as a whole and was moved away from. Refusing to acknowledge this does not invalidate it.

Speaking of moving, it's time to #MoveOn

Or... Mass Resurrect was good because it prevented fights... sometimes entire games from boiling down to "Who Q'ed harder?"

Seriously... there have been many many games where... the attacking team is not playing well. The game is about to end and they all wake up and are like "Oh... OH! It's GO TIME THROW ALL THE ULTS AT THE POINT!!!!!!!!". Is that good play? No... no it isn't, but without Mass Res that can and does work.

That's the catch. Without Mass Resurrect... how do you counter 5 ults aimed at your team in the last seconds of the match? You don't. You lose, even though up until that point you were winning. With Mass Resurrect, you can counter those sorts of desperation plays.
Spare me the meme arguments please. There have been no complaints of "omfgz DPS ults uncounterable etc etc." Mass rez wasn't the only thing holding back a tsunami of DPS ults.

This is why you shouldn't echo chamber so heavily. Your arguments become detached from reality.
02/09/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Quest
02/09/2018 11:30 AMPosted by FFirebrandd

Or... Mass Resurrect was good because it prevented fights... sometimes entire games from boiling down to "Who Q'ed harder?"

Seriously... there have been many many games where... the attacking team is not playing well. The game is about to end and they all wake up and are like "Oh... OH! It's GO TIME THROW ALL THE ULTS AT THE POINT!!!!!!!!". Is that good play? No... no it isn't, but without Mass Res that can and does work.

That's the catch. Without Mass Resurrect... how do you counter 5 ults aimed at your team in the last seconds of the match? You don't. You lose, even though up until that point you were winning. With Mass Resurrect, you can counter those sorts of desperation plays.
Spare me the meme arguments please. There have been no complaints of "omfgz DPS ults uncounterable etc etc." Mass rez wasn't the only thing holding back a tsunami of DPS ults.

This is why you shouldn't echo chamber so heavily. Your arguments become detached from reality.

Sometimes it was.

I distinctly remember a game of defense Hanamura where the enemy team were literally waiting for me to use Mass Res to ult. I finally did and out comes Dragon Strike, Tac Visor, and Dead Eye at minimum... they might have used more.
I play alot of Mercy but consider myself a healer main not a Mercy main. I try to play ANY healer that is best for the situation and team comp.

I do not think is it an ego thing. I think they listened to the feedback and incorporated changes. In my opinion the recent changes AS well as the removal of huge rez are steps in the right direction from a balance perspective.

Based on what I see Blizzard is not going to revert Mercy, you need to deal with it.

I would like to see a survey that goes out to anyone with over 5 hours on Mercy in competitive play the last 2 competitive seasons with a variety of questions concerning the changes. I play all healer and the team I play with loves my Mercy burst healing, Yesterday in a low plat game I had 76% kill participation with Mercy, she is still one of the best supports and fun to play in my opinion.

Personally I like Valkyrie, I did not like the old Mercy 1.0 rez ability.

Additionally I think the movement changes to guardian angel, made awhile ago, make her more agile and fun to play. For real I can stay in the air nearly the WHOLE game now if I use a few movement tricks. She is really fun to play if you use guardian angel to whisk back and forth around the battlefield.

Also, another bit of perspective..... I suggest those frustrated with her changes learn all the other healers to fill the role when Mercy isn't cutting it. This game is really about filling a role on a team not "maining" or just playing one character
I do like Mercy 1.0 better, but for me, mass rez isn't the issue. I'm just against her having supporting side being dropped like a bag of rocks. I hate the 2.0 change, but I lived with it. Taking away her free res and giving channel time is what's annoying. When 2.0 started, to rez, you pretty much had to be standing on top them to do it. Seeing you had to be standing on them like that, the instant part was nice. If there has to be channel time in rezzing, give it more range. As it is right now, she is just a sitting duck. The only time I use valkyrie now after I die and trying to get to point without having to run around things. Valkyrie doesn't seem to have a point. Her ultimate isn't an ultimate, it feels more like a normal ability like Mccrees flash bang.
02/09/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Coulumbo
Everyone who wasnt Mercy, and depending on the player, sometimes the Mercy too.

My friends who are not Mercy players miss mass res, and want it back more than they want Valkyrie in the game.
02/09/2018 11:59 AMPosted by Rylath
These complaints are completely justified. She is becoming unusable. All she has now really is healing and infinite ammo in ultimate to a crappy gun. Lucio group heals and speed boost plus his ultimate which really helps in a bind. Zenyatta has discord to help along with his healing and his ultimate to stop his team from being dropped. Ana can shut down someone with her sleep dart and heal with her grenade and stop the enemy from healing and her ultimate boosts someone she hits it with. Well, Mercy has good healing and a suicide button. Go to res a teammate to even the fight and make yourself a huge target and her ultimate isn't that good at all. Just go play damaging class. You just want Mercy to stay an easy target so you have to work less for your kills.

If you think mercy is unplayable. You have a real problem adjusting. She is a fine HEALER and she has mobility unlike zen. Her ult gives her even more healing. She is a healer. It's just now she can't rez unless it's safe. There was no punish for an ult that gives two rezs. Now you can't rez in a fight but she can save a pick. Rez works if they are picked from a sniper or in range. I don't seen the problem. She has more mobility then half of the supports. And she can power them up when they don't need healing. She is in a great spot right now.
02/09/2018 12:06 PMPosted by GeeGee
I love these mercy changes. All the crybabies crawl out of the woodwork to complain. They won't even admit that when a character has a 90%+ pickrate that means there's a problem lmao

Since when did anybody say 90% pickrate Mercy was fine? People just said she was more fun during that time, but that's because of how powerful she was. Nerfs were needed, but not nerfs that contradicted what Jeff envisioned for Mercy. Nerfing her mobility and Res instead of her staff's range during Valkyrie shows how oblivious the balancing team is.
02/09/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Jz5109
<span class="truncated">...</span>These complaints are completely justified. She is becoming unusable. All she has now really is healing and infinite ammo in ultimate to a crappy gun. Lucio group heals and speed boost plus his ultimate which really helps in a bind. Zenyatta has discord to help along with his healing and his ultimate to stop his team from being dropped. Ana can shut down someone with her sleep dart and heal with her grenade and stop the enemy from healing and her ultimate boosts someone she hits it with. Well, Mercy has good healing and a suicide button. Go to res a teammate to even the fight and make yourself a huge target and her ultimate isn't that good at all. Just go play damaging class. You just want Mercy to stay an easy target so you have to work less for your kills.

If you think mercy is unplayable. You have a real problem adjusting. She is a fine HEALER and she has mobility unlike zen. Her ult gives her even more healing. She is a healer. It's just now she can't rez unless it's safe. There was no punish for an ult that gives two rezs. Now you can't rez in a fight but she can save a pick. Rez works if they are picked from a sniper or in range. I don't seen the problem. She has more mobility then half of the supports. And she can power them up when they don't need healing. She is in a great spot right now.
Read what I said. I didn't say she is unusable. I said she is BECOMING unusable. She is heading down that road and pretty quick.
When something you make with good (questionable) intentions turns out to be a catastrophic failure

It wasn't a failure, it was a success. However, it was so successful she had to be brought down to Earth. She became very OP. The failure part is in trying to bring her back down to Earth.

I don't think she deserves a full revert however, perhaps she should get her old ultimate back.

What I would like to see from Mercy is this:
- Bring back Team Rez.
- Remove Res from secondary skill
- Like Pharah, Make Mercy's second ability a skyboost ability to allow her to fly like Pharah.
- Limit her heal/damage beam to 15-20m to keep her within range of enemy hitscans. She can only stay airborne with continuous airborne teammates.

She's super boring in her current form. Basically she uses res between team fights to stabilize pushes and negate getting picked off between team fights.

In a fight, its heal. Ult >>>Fly into the sky with Valk and become Sky Totem Mercy. The impact anyone feels they have has to be reaaaaally small.