New Hero 27 - Backline Tank/Support - Dive Comp Counter

General Discussion
New Hero Idea - Master of Misdirection

Ability 1: Mirror
Hero can create "hard light" constructs that are exact visual duplicates of targeted teammate or self. Team members will be able to distinguish constructs from real players, enemies will not. Constructs act as distractions for the enemy team and provide "dummy" targets allowing real team members to potentially avoid damage.

3 Charges. These constructs move on their own and can attack enemies at 25% damage. Constructs have 75% of the health of the original teammate and expire after a period of time.

Ability 2: Shatter
Destroy a single construct stunning any enemies near them.

Ultimate Ability: Sacrifice
Any active constructs will run toward closest enemy and explode on contact, causing damage and applying a shield to any teammates near them.
Weapon: Photon Slug Shotgun.
Slow shooting but powerful, the photon slug projectile does damage and knocks target back a small distance. Knock back is not at powerful as Lucio's Soundwave but direct hits can create space between the target and shooter.
I’m actually creating a tank-support hybrid hero of my own. He’s unlike your concept, but I can say...you’ve got potential with this idea.

I’ll bump this post! People need to know more about this concept.

Keep it up!
- PyroPanda
02/15/2018 11:51 AMPosted by PyroPanda
I’m actually creating a tank-support hybrid hero of my own. He’s unlike your concept, but I can say...you’ve got potential with this idea.

I’ll bump this post! People need to know more about this concept.

Keep it up!
- PyroPanda

Thanks Pyro Panda I would be very interested in learning more about your tank-support hybrid hero idea.

Any suggestions for feedback for my hero idea?
02/09/2018 11:35 AMPosted by NERFJEFF

Hero can create 3 "hard light" constructs that are exact visual duplicates of targeted teammate or self. Team members will be able to distinguish constructs from real players, enemies will not. Constructs act as distractions for the enemy team and provide "dummy" targets allowing real team members to potentially avoid damage.

These constructs move on their own and can attack enemies at 15% damage. Constructs have 50% of the health of the original teammate and expire after a period of time.

Any active holograms will run toward closest enemy and explode on contact, causing significant damage and healing any teammates near them.
I HELLA love this idea, because I really want another tank, but I also hate the idea of another barrier tank, so the idea of just creating more targets is really interesting to me... I like it.
02/16/2018 12:53 PMPosted by N3RD

Hero can create 3 "hard light" constructs that are exact visual duplicates of targeted teammate or self. Team members will be able to distinguish constructs from real players, enemies will not. Constructs act as distractions for the enemy team and provide "dummy" targets allowing real team members to potentially avoid damage.

These constructs move on their own and can attack enemies at 15% damage. Constructs have 50% of the health of the original teammate and expire after a period of time.

Any active holograms will run toward closest enemy and explode on contact, causing significant damage and healing any teammates near them.
I HELLA love this idea, because I really want another tank, but I also hate the idea of another barrier tank, so the idea of just creating more targets is really interesting to me... I like it.

Thanks for the feedback. I play a lot of support and healer and I think anyone who has played any significant time as a back line character will appreciate the protection this character will bring to a team.

Really these abilities were created out of a need in the game for better protection for the support/healers.
Love the idea.

You think maybe Sonic Arrow / Infrasight would be able to reveal the Mirror copies?

Maybe EMP would remove them?

I don't know how reliable this would be if the AI for the Mirrors are too predictable.
02/15/2018 11:19 AMPosted by NERFJEFF
Slow shooting but powerful, the photon slug projectile does damage and knocks target back a small distance. Knock back is not at powerful as Lucio's Soundwave but direct hits can create space between the target and shooter.

Secondary ability that snares an enemy that's hit. :O
02/16/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Thanatos
Love the idea.

You think maybe Sonic Arrow / Infrasight would be able to reveal the Mirror copies?

Maybe EMP would remove them?

I don't know how reliable this would be if the AI for the Mirrors are too predictable.

Yes definitely, I love the idea of Sonic Arrow / Infrasight revealing mirror clones. Maybe EMP can make them glitch and reveal them instead of completely removing.
02/16/2018 01:31 PMPosted by AngelofLife
02/15/2018 11:19 AMPosted by NERFJEFF

Secondary ability that snares an enemy that's hit. :O

A snare would be a great option for ability 2!
Hello NERFJEFF,

I am here to grant you some suggestions about your hero. I’ll be providing my hero concept after this post, ok? Anyways...

Suggestions for Mirror:
- I’m immediately thinking of Ying from Paladins and Samuro from HOTS, both of which who can create duplicates of themselves. That’s impressive, and no other current hero has this ability. It distinguishes them from the rest of the cast.
- Add three “charges” to this ability (like how Mercy had an additional Resurrect during her Valkyrie in Mercy 2.0 or so)
- The values you put in seem reasonably balanced. However, what I would recommend is a brief cast-time (perhaps 0.3 or 0.5 seconds), to “build” a single hologram. In return, you should probably bump their health to 75% and their damage at 25% to make it up.

Suggestions for Shatter:
- Admittedly, this is like Ying from Paladins, who has an ability that allows her duplicates to run to an enemy and explode. Since your duplicates stun, try adding a small “target-time” (0.3 seconds will do), or a “power-down” time (also 0.3 seconds) after a duplicate explodes.
- This will make up for the fact your duplicates stun.

Suggestions for Sacrifice:
- Don’t make them heal your teammates. Since when do tanks heal? The closest thing to a “healing tank” would be Zarya, but that’s only because she’s a tank-support hybrid.
- Instead, make the duplicates explode tiny “barriers” (like Lucio’s ultimate). These barriers, in turn, can act similarly to Doomfist’s.

Suggestions for Photon Slug Shotgun:
- No words here. It’s perfect for a Tank hero (short-range, high damage).

Other Suggestions:
- Their name should be “Dimentio”. It sounds fit, no?
- Grant them a third ability that allows them or another teammate to swap places with another duplicate. Once again, it sounds like Ying, but just food for thought.
- Hard-light, eh? Make this hero a Vishkar employee then.

My hero concept will be available soon for you to read, ok? In the meantime, keep working on your concept!

Chinese New Year’s Cheers,
- PyroPanda
I love this hero concept! Sounds like they require a lot of nontraditional skill to pull off effectively. Gotta make sure their positioning is beleivable, and the enemy won’t call it out as a construct.

I really hope that this sort of hero concept gets added into the game, now!
I liked the concept of Ying in Paladins but never really clicked with the kit overall. It'd be nice to see what the Overwatch team could do with it, and I like your idea of making it a tank with a knockback weapon instead of a healer. Hopefully we get something eventually that can make illusions since it doesn't seem out of the realm of plausibility in the Overwatch universe.
02/16/2018 01:38 PMPosted by PyroPanda
Hello NERFJEFF,

I am here to grant you some suggestions about your hero. I’ll be providing my hero concept after this post, ok? Anyways...

Suggestions for Mirror:
- I’m immediately thinking of Ying from Paladins and Samuro from HOTS, both of which who can create duplicates of themselves. That’s impressive, and no other current hero has this ability. It distinguishes them from the rest of the cast.
- Add three “charges” to this ability (like how Mercy had an additional Resurrect during her Valkyrie in Mercy 2.0 or so)
- The values you put in seem reasonably balanced. However, what I would recommend is a brief cast-time (perhaps 0.3 or 0.5 seconds), to “build” a single hologram. In return, you should probably bump their health to 75% and their damage at 25% to make it up.

Suggestions for Shatter:
- Admittedly, this is like Ying from Paladins, who has an ability that allows her duplicates to run to an enemy and explode. Since your duplicates stun, try adding a small “target-time” (0.3 seconds will do), or a “power-down” time (also 0.3 seconds) after a duplicate explodes.
- This will make up for the fact your duplicates stun.

Suggestions for Sacrifice:
- Don’t make them heal your teammates. Since when do tanks heal? The closest thing to a “healing tank” would be Zarya, but that’s only because she’s a tank-support hybrid.
- Instead, make the duplicates explode tiny “barriers” (like Lucio’s ultimate). These barriers, in turn, can act similarly to Doomfist’s.

Suggestions for Photon Slug Shotgun:
- No words here. It’s perfect for a Tank hero (short-range, high damage).

Other Suggestions:
- Their name should be “Dimentio”. It sounds fit, no?
- Grant them a third ability that allows them or another teammate to swap places with another duplicate. Once again, it sounds like Ying, but just food for thought.
- Hard-light, eh? Make this hero a Vishkar employee then.

My hero concept will be available soon for you to read, ok? In the meantime, keep working on your concept!

Chinese New Year’s Cheers,
- PyroPanda

Hey PyroPanda,

Thanks for the awesome feedback. I have edited the build based on some of your suggestions.

Yes I am figured it would make scene to have this character a Vishtar employee or related to Symetra somehow.
Hello NERFJEFF,

As promised, I’ll provide my hero concept for a tank-support hybrid. Well, some of it, at least. Note that this is a rough draft of him, but most of him (kit, lore, etc.) is solidified already...however, changes could be affecting him soon. Let’s get started.

Profile:
- Callsign: Amadeus
- Occuptation: Weapons engineer (formerly), Agent
- Affiliation: Armenian Army (formerly), Overwatch (formerly), TALON
- Base of Operations: Yerevan, Armenia
- Personality: Calculating, egocentric, fiercely loyal
- Weapons: Particle Gauntlets

Statistics:
- Health: 200 health, 100 armor, 100 shields (400 health total)
- Damage: Medium
- Mobility: Low
- Range: Medium
- Utility: High
- Size: Large
- Difficulty: 3 Stars

Gameplay:
- Amadeus focuses on shielding his allies, converting absorbed damage into Particle Energy. This Energy, in turn, enhances his particle-based support abilities, allowing his allies to counteract the enemy’s push or carve a path through their defense. He requires careful usage of his shielding ability, careful management of his Particle Energy, and timing of his abilities.
- Amadeus is useful in forcing enemies off of objectives, wearing down enemies, all while protecting his allies. While he can protect his teammates from the backlines with his barriers, he can become a front-line menace when using his anti-barrier abilities.

Explanation: Barriers and Anti-Barriers
- Amadeus uses barriers and anti-barriers as supportive abilities.
- Barriers work as normal (like Lucio’s or Doomfist’s); they cannot be regenerated.
- Anti-barriers work a little differently. Let’s say I use the ability “Barrier Bomb” and use the second type, the anti-barrier bomb. This would grant an enemy “anti-barriers”, meaning if they are damaged again, they’ll receive damage equivalent to the amount of the anti-barrier.
- Since anti-barriers also decay, it is advisable for an affected enemy to find cover quickly and let them decay.

Abilities:
- Passive: Harness
  • Damage absorbed by his Particle Field ability is converted into Particle Energy, which is shown in a resource bar near his crosshairs.
  • Particle Energy is depleted over time and through the usage of his abilities.
  • - Weapon (Primary Fire): Particle Field
  • On his left gauntlet, Amadeus projects a particle field around an ally that absorbs incoming damage and provides him with Particle Energy.
  • - Weapon (Secondary Fire): Particle Claw
  • On his right gauntlet, Amadeus swings his gauntlet three times, dealing melee damage while unleashing an arc of particle energy that passes through barriers and enemies.
  • - Ability 1: Barrier Bomb
  • Amadeus lobs a bomb of concentrated particle energy, and can choose between two types. The first provides allies barriers within its splash radius, while the second inflicts anti-barriers to enemies within its splash radius.
  • - Ability 2: Barrier Beam
  • After a short cast-time, Amadeus activates an energy-siphon field around him, absorbing incoming damage into Energy. At this time, he can also redirect it as barriers for an ally or anti-barriers for an enemy.
  • - Ultimate Ability: OmegArch Projector (this ability is subject to change soon)
  • Amadeus overclocks his Gauntlets and expels a massive particle field in front of him, absorbing damage. Allies can shoot through the field, granting them barriers for each shot. Enemies shooting the field will gain anti-barriers. Amadeus can still move normally until the field is destroyed.
  • TLDR: Amadeus is a Moira + Zarya.

NERFJEFF, I hope you can use this as a template for you next rework/rewrite of your hero concept. It doesn’t have to be so organized, but it would look nice to see your information fashioned like this. I hope this helps, NERFJEFF.

CNY Cheers,
    - PyroPanda
    P.S. - Values and numbers are still currently under tweaks for balancing.

Hero can create "hard light" constructs that are exact visual duplicates of targeted teammate or self. Team members will be able to distinguish constructs from real players, enemies will not. Constructs act as distractions for the enemy team and provide "dummy" targets allowing real team members to potentially avoid damage.

3 Charges. These constructs move on their own and can attack enemies at 25% damage. Constructs have 75% of the health of the original teammate and expire after a period of time.

Any active constructs will run toward closest enemy and explode on contact, causing damage and applying a shield to any teammates near them.
    The health and damage is what I am worried about
    Because this is like having 9 players instead of 6 on your team.

Otherwise I love the idea
    Bump. More people need to see this amazing concept!

Cheers,
    - PyroPanda

You realize that you have created Ying from Paladins right?