Does Tracer need a nerf?

Competitive Discussion
Genuinely interested in what people think about this as a lot of pro's lately, especially support main's, have stated they feel she needs a nerf.

I play a lot of Tracer, I'm only Plat, so an average player, I don't claim to be any sort of God or that I deserve a higher rank, but I do enjoy her. I feel the issue is that Tracer has the potential to dominate any game, as she can be pretty good in almost any situation, but that she only does dominate at 3500+ elo's, as they're the only skill levels that players can utilise her skill set properly at.

I've played in Gold, Plat and Diamond, and have honestly never felt that Tracer has been a big issue in any of my games. Sure there have been good Tracers, but never to the point where I was like wow, something needs to be done about this, not like I did with Junk, Mercy, etc.

So do you think it's fair to nerf a character if they only outperform at certain elo's, especially high elo's which is the tiniest fraction of the player base?

Keep in mind this is my opinion and personal experience with her, obviously others will feel differently.
I think Tracer is a rewarding Hero in terms of high skill ceiling really not limiting her potential too much, which of course lets insane people really pop off with her in the right scenarios. I think her level of balance is what other heroes should strive to be, and if people feel she is too powerful I think its more because other heroes are too weak. She really does feel like peak balancing.

Her pick rate is more a result of her versatility and how it rewards a skilled hand, which is especially why she's got a high rate in OWL. If anything I feel her intended counters could use a little more counter-play to her, a small buff.
I honestly think that Tracer is perfect. Any nerfs or buffs to a character like her would make her either useless or necessary, imo.
A good tracer is almost unkillable, sure you can drive her off for a bit but they'll almost always slip away, at least in lower tiers.
Overbuff shows her having mediocre numbers all the way until grandmasters. In fact, her average win rate is 49%. So it's one of two things.

1. Everyone posting here is suddenly grandmaster, and thinks her 4th place pick rate and 17th place winrate is overpowered.

2. People see that there are some strong Tracer players in the pro scene and perceive her high pick rate means she's overpowered. Ignoring the fact that the Tracer scales with skill, and that the Tracers they are playing against in their tier bracket is nothing compared to the pro Tracers. Hence the mediocre numbers.
Yes, nerf the tracer.
tracer has been the same since release, theres nothing making her "op" besides the meta changes. if you played tracer in season 3 it would be like playing lucio right now. only good on certain maps and teamcomps and didnt fit into the meta. right now, tracer is perfect for a dive comp, and all here counters(mccree) and "equals"(winston dva soldier zen) either is countered by dive, or not meta. right now the things stopping tracer is spam meta(which was nerfed from junkrat and mercy) and deathball(which was buffed with the mercy nerfs).
im no expert but i think a lucio damage buff and rein sheild charge buff and ana mobility buff can do enough to bring zarya and soldier (deathball) into viabilty and tracer doesnt have to be the best pic all the time
She's not going to need a nerf here pretty soon. Mei, Sym, Torb, and Sombra are all getting buffed, and those heroes have mechanics that counter Tracer's concept.

Problem is they've never been generally powerful enough to be used in the meta to counter Tracer, but since they're all getting buffed, Tracer will have to deal with her mobility being less powerful
No, but she does need more counters added to the game.
I am support main, i don't think she really needs a nerf.
Not to mention we have Moira now to counter her flanking (or at least punish bad Tracers).
They can't nerf Tracer because then Mccree won't be allowed 140 headshot and then Pharah will be immortal and then Widow meta and then tanks will complain and then Mercy gets buffed again and then Doomfist gets 600hp...or something like that.
02/07/2018 04:58 PMPosted by PsychoMantis
Genuinely interested in what people think about this as a lot of pro's lately, especially support main's, have stated they feel she needs a nerf.

I play a lot of Tracer, I'm only Plat, so an average player, I don't claim to be any sort of God or that I deserve a higher rank, but I do enjoy her. I feel the issue is that Tracer has the potential to dominate any game, as she can be pretty good in almost any situation, but that she only does dominate at 3500+ elo's, as they're the only skill levels that players can utilise her skill set properly at.

I've played in Gold, Plat and Diamond, and have honestly never felt that Tracer has been a big issue in any of my games. Sure there have been good Tracers, but never to the point where I was like wow, something needs to be done about this, not like I did with Junk, Mercy, etc.

So do you think it's fair to nerf a character if they only outperform at certain elo's, especially high elo's which is the tiniest fraction of the player base?

Keep in mind this is my opinion and personal experience with her, obviously others will feel differently.
She isn’t dominant in low Masters, but she is a viable option. GM+ is where she starts to excel.

However, her viability is very much dependent on other heroes. Back when Roadhog had 6 second hook, he could more easily compete with the crazy 3 second cd of Blink. With 8 seconds, this is much harder for Roadhog to do. I think that instead of looking at Tracer, they should buff cc options such as hook and flashbang so that they are more able to zone out a Tracer who’s abilities have signicantly lower cooldowns.

If Tracer were to be changed, it would need to be a rework of sorts because currently she isn’t very strong at lower ranks and would basically be useless after any nerf.
02/07/2018 10:12 PMPosted by Topher
tracer has been the same since release, theres nothing making her "op" besides the meta changes. if you played tracer in season 3 it would be like playing lucio right now. only good on certain maps and teamcomps and didnt fit into the meta. right now, tracer is perfect for a dive comp, and all here counters(mccree) and "equals"(winston dva soldier zen) either is countered by dive, or not meta. right now the things stopping tracer is spam meta(which was nerfed from junkrat and mercy) and deathball(which was buffed with the mercy nerfs).
im no expert but i think a lucio damage buff and rein sheild charge buff and ana mobility buff can do enough to bring zarya and soldier (deathball) into viabilty and tracer doesnt have to be the best pic all the time

Lucio already does tons of damage and has a pretty good deal when it comes to the Tracer duel. Giving Lucio more damage isn’t the solution. Go watch the Beat Invitational. Lucio was played almost as much as he was, though of course he was dropped whenever Mercy was to be played.

Ana is an immobile healer. She doesn’t need any mobility. If they want to buff Ana, all they need to do is revert her buffs one by one, starting by giving her back 80 dmg.

Again, Zarya is already back with the Mercy nerfs. While Dive was also prevalent during the Beat Invitational, tank comps saw play time and dominated certain maps, the exact meta that is very healthy, a meta dominated by maps.

As for Soldier, he isn’t a deathball hero, he is a counter-dive hero. Mccree is better in deathball because you have more resources to put into the character with Reinhardt shield, Zarya bubbles, Moira healing and Speedboosts. With dive, Mccree flops because he has no self sustain and draw out too many resources from Zenyatta to properly run a dive setup. Additionally, dive maps are more open which benefits Soldier over Mccree. Soldier is strongest on maps like Numbani first with teams like Winston D.Va Genji Ana Zenyatta Soldier. Mccree works best on maps like Oasis University with Moira Lucio Reinhardt Zarya and Junkrat.

There simply needs to be more things in the game for Tracer to dodge in order for the game to match her 3 second blink cd and make her less viable.
02/07/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Professor
I honestly think that Tracer is perfect. Any nerfs or buffs to a character like her would make her either useless or necessary, imo.

Yes I 100% agree with this.

02/07/2018 05:22 PMPosted by ForceComdr
A good tracer is almost unkillable, sure you can drive her off for a bit but they'll almost always slip away, at least in lower tiers.

The main thing is you do not need to actually kill Tracer. Any good hit force her to recall, another one and she has to run away.
02/07/2018 04:58 PMPosted by PsychoMantis

well its so hard to know as a guy that start playing her like crazy she can get easily countered by alot of heros like if the enemy team has a zen and u didn't focus him half of the team will 1 SHOT you widow hanzo etc..... and her health is 150 so i dont think she needs any direct nerfs shes needs a none dierect nerf like buffing counters for her
I feel like tracer's is like doomfist. You got insta killed the moment you look away and there's nothing you can do.

It's really annoying when you play vs chipsa, dafran or kabaji. They just flank your support and one shot you when you're not looking. you just can't do anything about it.
No she is only this good now because of the league and she is in the spotlights, also certain hero nerfs caused indirect buffs for her.. Some reworks are happening and we should wait and see what that does for tracer and other heros