How Can We Adjust Mystery Heroes

General Discussion
Update and an example of how the "rng" in Mystery Heroes is not rng. In the span of about 1 hour and I don't know how many games, I have seen 4-5 times where one team got 2 Orisas. Sometimes they won sometimes they lost. The winning and losing is based on who plays those doubles (but also who is playing with them and who they are playing against).

Regardless, it is not "rng" with that much consistency. The fact that these specific heroes got double stacked about 5 times in the span of 1 to 1 1/2 hours is ridiculous. I guess you could say that I am in the minority of players that this happens to as frequently, but that would probably be the only way you could justify how this is happening. And even with that justification, there are plenty of other people in just this post that have encountered similar problems while playing MH. So in that case I wouldn't be in the minority of players.

At this point, I feel like I might as well quit playing Overwatch, at least solo. The fact I'm getting angered over the rng of a game is pretty sad (even though I've been in a phase of speculating games and their design choices). I'll probably just play it with friends from now on. Also so I can stop stressing over the practically pointless. Cause even with this thread and multiple others, there's no chance a dev is gonna see this; and even then I highly doubt they're gonna slightly consider looking into how their "rng" is set up.

Keep posting any examples of bs rng you run into, maybe you'll find others that encounter the same and then you can rest easy knowing that you're not alone in experiencing that torture.
If I have to play against a 4 tank and 2 Mercy team again I might just end up breaking the disk, no limits is for hero stacking, not random heroes
02/14/2018 02:20 AMPosted by Scymon
Regardless, it is not "rng" with that much consistency.

Take a six sided die. Roll it six times. There is a possibility that the die will come up six every time. That is absolute consistency of outcome. But even if it does happen that way it's still random, you still rolled that six sided die six times. The fact that it came up a six every time doesn't change the randomness of the roll.

My best advice is to not play a game mode where the outcome is out of your control. Winning seems to be the most important issue to you, based on your complaint, so in the interest of mental health I'd suggest playing only those game modes where RNG is a non factor and you have some semblance of control over the outcome of the match. 3 extra boxes per week is not worth the stress and frustration you'll have to deal with if RNG triggers you.
It doesn't need "fixing."

If you don't like it, don't play it. Those of us who do play it like it how it is.

I honestly cannot understand how people have so many issues with winning this mode. I have 158 hours on MH alone. 647 wins. I get all of my 9 wins in arcade playing Mystery Heroes for 3-4 hours the Monday that it resets every week without fail.
hero stacking is half the fun of it. remove it and its just anotehr boring quick play.
There's no way to force Mystery Heroes into a fairer balance, even if you limit heroes to one each. If one team is defending with Orisa, Bastion, Mercy, Zenyatta, D.Va, and Soldier, and the other is attacking with a team full of random, un-synergized squishies, the defending team will be hard to overthrow (especially once they have ult advantage). Or if you force each team to have a support and a tank, the team with Orisa and Mercy is probably going to stomp the team with Symmetra and Zarya. The team who randomly has a Pharah is going to roll the team who randomly doesn't have any hitscan. etc. etc. We full held the first point at Eichenwald once just because the enemy team never rolled a hero who could easily kill our unshielded Bastion (well, they managed it, but I could safely rez him and he went back to wrecking house).

I'd rather MH stayed fully goofy, even if it means getting stomped by stupid, stacked comps, then turn it into something that appears slightly more fair but is still ultimately not fair at all.
Hero stacking is more probable than you think. The chance is about 44% that your team starts with 2 of the same hero. Which makes for a nearly 70% chance that either team starts with a stack. Its the same mathematical phenomenon as in the birthday paradox (out of 23 random people theres a 50% chance that at least 2 of them have the same birthday).

However, most OP formations arent created at the start of a match, they are build during the match due to many people treating MH as similar to QP, most people go for the easiest kills first. Of course that makes some sense in other gamemodes but in MH those easy kills have a chance to be respawned as something harder to kill. If the enemy team has a torb staying in the far back behind the rest of the team almost no one goes out of their way to hunt down that torb, usually because such a thing would be suicidal and from other gamemodes people are fixed on believing that dying yourself is bad, but in MH if you can get one or a few strategic picks like that such a trade can be worth it.
Instead most people only kill the rest of torbs team over and over until they get a orisa, then they complain about the enemy getting a overpowered combo. Thats how it happens most of the time from my expieriences.
02/14/2018 03:30 AMPosted by Kootiepatra
There's no way to force Mystery Heroes into a fairer balance, even if you limit heroes to one each. If one team is defending with Orisa, Bastion, Mercy, Zenyatta, D.Va, and Soldier, and the other is attacking with a team full of random, un-synergized squishies, the defending team will be hard to overthrow (especially once they have ult advantage). Or if you force each team to have a support and a tank, the team with Orisa and Mercy is probably going to stomp the team with Symmetra and Zarya. The team who randomly has a Pharah is going to roll the team who randomly doesn't have any hitscan. etc. etc. We full held the first point at Eichenwald once just because the enemy team never rolled a hero who could easily kill our unshielded Bastion (well, they managed it, but I could safely rez him and he went back to wrecking house).

I'd rather MH stayed fully goofy, even if it means getting stomped by stupid, stacked comps, then turn it into something that appears slightly more fair but is still ultimately not fair at all.
Exactly. Any changes to make it "more fair" would undermine the fundamental design of the gamestyle in that it is random. The whole, "no duplicate heroes" or "force a healer/tank if none" means that it is no longer random and it'd take away the fun of the game. If people want structured gameplay, quickplay and competitive are to the left and right of the arcade selection respectively.
02/10/2018 04:34 AMPosted by Scymon
It is random hero's, the thing you will see a lot more high survivability hero's in the game though. Well because they don't die. This gives the illusion that these hero's are picked picked more than others.

I guess I should have specified, when I said "the roulette of heroes I see" I should have said the roulette of heroes I get/play as.

Seeing a lot of high survivability heroes makes sense since they will last longer, but I'm talking about whenever I play I will get the same rotating group of heroes to play as. Granted it's different in each session, but it'll still happen that I get the same hero multiple times over others. That shouldn't be happening if it were truly random.

No you don't. You think you do, because the human brain tries to find patterns even when they don't exist. If you write down every single hero you get for your next 1000 spawns in Mystery Heroes, you'll see an expected distribution.
I guess I should have specified, when I said "the roulette of heroes I see" I should have said the roulette of heroes I get/play as.

Seeing a lot of high survivability heroes makes sense since they will last longer, but I'm talking about whenever I play I will get the same rotating group of heroes to play as. Granted it's different in each session, but it'll still happen that I get the same hero multiple times over others. That shouldn't be happening if it were truly random.

No you don't. You think you do, because the human brain tries to find patterns even when they don't exist. If you write down every single hero you get for your next 1000 spawns in Mystery Heroes, you'll see an expected distribution.
To prove this, go into your career profile and set it to display mystery heroes. Look at time played per hero and note who you have at the top and bottom, then look at deaths per 10 minutes. The two lists should reflect each other.
I have noticed the same algorythms as well.
I start as hero X, I die and spawn as hero Y, die and spawn again as hero X (strting hero).
It also likes to give me Mercy and Doomfist (my most and least played heros) absurdely often.
And I also noticed that you suddenly get 2-3 Widows when the enemy team has a Pharah/Mercy combo.
I've always felt that certain heroes crop up more than others.

I would like to see them try this out with no stacking. I would also be curious what would happen if every team started with at least one healer and at least one tank.
02/14/2018 04:18 AMPosted by Tortellini
I have noticed the same algorythms as well.
I start as hero X, I die and spawn as hero Y, die and spawn again as hero X (strting hero).
It also likes to give me Mercy and Doomfist (my most and least played heros) absurdely often.
And I also noticed that you suddenly get 2-3 Widows when the enemy team has a Pharah/Mercy combo.
Some of that just stands out to you such as the Mercy and Doomfist because you know those are your most and least played heroes. I feel the same way about Doomfist as well.

I've also seen matches where it's Widowmakers everywhere for both teams. Or I get Widowmaker and the other team keeps getting Widowmaker so I feel that I'm counter-sniping half the match. Or I get Pharah and dodging Bastions left and right.

What I'm getting at is certain things stand out in your mind and are more memorable. Doesn't mean that it happens frequently or often, just that it'd be the one thing you remember the most from a span of multiple matches.
I have the most time playing Mystery heroes, around 500 hours. (not seen anyone with more yet)

There are a lot of people who play Mystery hero as their primary mode over QP/comp, no change should be made for people who play it just for the 3 loot boxes. This isn't the mode to play if you want those loot boxes fast.

Only thing that could be fixed is getting 1 hero every other death, and system favoring heroes you have played the least.
I haven’t read the entire thing but my friend and I were playing mh and we both got soldier died then both reaper than both Junkrat,best part is that we had the same skins for all of them