Major CTF flaw

General Discussion
Why you can score the flag while your own is taken? It's against the rules of every known CTF mode.
who knows. Half fun on Warsong was trying to return your flag with rogue squad
I don't know why the downvotes. Its another layer of strategy and balance. You need to protect the taken flag and recover your own at the same time. Thats how really the best teams win. Will you risk the flag bearer to go on offensive to get number advantage or not?
Because they didn't want CTF to devolve into a turtle/stall-fest where the flag carriers are suddenly Roadhog with an Orisa to barrier, Bastion, Symmetra/Torb, plus 1-2 healers on both teams playing defense until time runs out.
02/13/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Metronome
Because they didn't want CTF to devolve into a turtle/stall-fest where the flag carriers are suddenly Roadhog with an Orisa to barrier, Bastion, Symmetra/Torb, plus 1-2 healers on both teams playing defense until time runs out.

People already do that without having to keep their own flag safe to score a point.
02/13/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Metronome

But that already happened, kinda. Hog grabs the flag, gets every buff imaginable, heals himself which reduces damage even more and scores without any problem. You could counter that by racing him and grabing their flag before he can reach the base... but you cant.
There are games where capturing is possible without your flag at your base. I've actually never played a CTF game with both flags needed.

I'd rather be able to actually capture than have a griefer carry my own flag without ever capturing, and stalling the game because of that. Sounds like a pain.
02/13/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Polterghost
Why you can score the flag while your own is taken? It's against the rules of every known CTF mode.
no the biggest flaw is that the enemy team and defending team both have different periods of time for capping the flag when off the initial area
Why is it that one lucio can stall use for 5 more seconds while the point is locked for the defenders and attackers. But the attackers instantly pick it up but the defenders have to hold it but even if your about to grab it for the recap it is an instant pick up for attackers.
Requiring your flag to be home to score or not, are pretty standard rule variations.
Saying it must always be one way or the other illustrates a clear lack of experience with CTF as a game mode across the history of fps games, let alone it's real life counterpart.

Both options are entirely acceptable, they simply influence the pace of play.
That would be anti-action, since it'd be another requirement to get the enemy flag.

They want there to be a lot of flag stealing, a lot of scrambling, and a lot of chaos. This ain't yo sissy mama's CTF mode, sonny. Deez nana's rules. And nana don't got long to live, so I'mma do whatever crazy **** I want and get all dem flags.
02/13/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Pakaku
There are games where capturing is possible without your flag at your base. I've actually never played a CTF game with both flags needed

Quake? Unreal? Tribes?
02/13/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Polterghost
There are games where capturing is possible without your flag at your base. I've actually never played a CTF game with both flags needed

Quake? Unreal? Tribes?

Overwatch is none of those listed, its OVERWATCH. Perhaps the Devs want something different?
02/13/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Jaxsom
Quake? Unreal? Tribes?

Overwatch is none of those listed, its OVERWATCH. Perhaps the Devs want something different?

Different doesnt mean good.
02/13/2018 12:01 PMPosted by LilPuddin
That would be anti-action, since it'd be another requirement to get the enemy flag.

Thats why its pro-action. Its not just "go in, go out, score". You need to attack more. Not just defend the carrier. You cant just bunker up coz you're on a short timer.

Quake? Unreal? Tribes?

It's an acceptable rule variant in Unreal Tournament...
02/13/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Polterghost
Not in all modes like in the tf2 ctf you can capture when your flag is not in your base
It's not against EVERY variation of the game.

I would argue that if you only have six people on each team, that greatly affects the viability of requiring your flag to be home before you capture. You can't devote an entire fireteam to go hunting around for a hiding flag carrier; you'd just have to hope that your flanker can find the carrier, kill the carrier, and hang out on the flag all before the enemy team angrily comes rushing back at you.

If there were more people in each game, this might be a different conversation, but with only six players per team, it would turn CTF into Hide and Seek.
faster games, simple as that and this is gaming rule sets aint set in stone by those that came before it.
OK, so, at least implement this rule to the draw round where the team wins that took slightly shorter way around the central pillar.
just limit flag carrier speed, it is all that is needed...