I'm a Widowmaker one trick from now on.

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
02/12/2018 04:30 PMPosted by TheCheese
The difference is that even the worst Mercy can do some small amount of good for her team. The worst Widow might as well sit in spawn.

Honestly, the worst widow sitting in spawn is at least not charging any ults.
02/12/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Champ
I suck at Widowmaker. My winrate is atrocious. But as long as I actually try and dont jump off the edge, it's not throwing and I'm fully allowed to. I'll never swap when my team wants me to, because I enjoy Widowmaker, and I'll never join comms because I don't want to endure the abuse. Who cares if 5 people who are willing to flex and still lose, and my hero choice is at their expense, because I'm the one person who refuses to swap in a competitive mode?

Sound bad?

Good.

Replace every time I say "Widowmaker" with "Mercy" and see how suddenly I'm the victim and will get 200 upvotes on every thread, on these forums. Suddenly the devs will dedicate a whole dev update video to defending you. I'm no longer the bad guy if it was Mercy.

I'm sick of being a flex player and losing tons of SR to one tricks, not necessarily Mercy. I'm sick of having the forums and the devs defend this behavior in a competitive mode, when they can just tell the one tricks to go play ANY OTHER MODE IN THE GAME.

I'm going to abide by this, too. If it doesn't apply to Mercy, it shouldn't apply to Widowmaker, and so not to me. I don't care how much SR I lose.

This'll be downvoted. Oh, this will be downvoted, but that only goes to show you that the Mercy mains(Correction: One tricks) run these forums and hive mind-bully the developers into letting them one trick a hero and never swap in a competitive gamemode. I'd wager they were only pressured into nerfing her AT ALL because the investors were seeing how OWL was getting boring with Mercy/Zen in almost every game, and they had to shake things up to keep them happy.

Your comparison is only apt if you can cite the numerous incidents where people would say "Play Widow or I throw"
One tricking isn't the problem its doing it with a hero you suck at. If you only play Tracer, but you're really good then I don't mind. You're carrying your weight. Of course you should learn other heroes in case you run into another Tracer main and they can't play any other hero.

I'll admit I mostly play Mercy, but I'm a really really mean Zarya too.
We need a I main widow but suck at playing her support group!

^ j/k I flex but most of my hours are on Dva and mercy everyone else wants to dps all the time..... I am a pretty kick @ss Phara and I can widow when I am in the zone.
02/12/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Kyaw
Not just Mercy, non meta Heroes like Torbjorn and Symmetra too, even when the devs have explicitly stated not all Heroes are viable in every single situation.

The forums are always dominated by these people, you say anything bad about One Tricking and you get lynched. This is why the forums are said to be a cesspool in other platforms of Overwatch
I'll give you my Attack-Torb when you pry him from my cold dwarf hands.
02/12/2018 04:47 PMPosted by DrPizza
mccree one tricks: nobody cares

windowmaker one tricks: either they're really good or really abd

torb one tricks: they always suck

L O G I C

every one trick is problematic not just widowmaker or hanzo or torb one tricks

genji one trick getting countered by entire enemy team is problematic

mccree one trick getting countered by entire enemy team is problematic
The difference is that even the worst Mercy can do some small amount of good for her team. The worst Widow might as well sit in spawn.

Yet that still shouldn't mean there's discrimination against one, but not the other. The fact that Blizzard are defending one-tricks which actually goes against their whole game premise, it honestly just baffles me to no end.

Why create a game that's supposed to be based entirely on counter-picking in the spawn room, to then defend players that one-trick and ban those that report them.

I can't even fathom how Blizzard can defend the notion that "you should be able to play who you want" to such a degree in where they are actually supporting people throwing the game...oh, but wait! it's not throwing the game if your team actually decides to flex for you and pick tanks and healers because you absolutely refuse, if your team decides to begrudgingly play around your stupid, unhelpful hero choice...then I guess it's totally fine if they play Symmetra every single game, even when it's against a Winston, Pharah and Widowmaker, because you paid for the game and it's apparantly not throwing, even if your character is being countered to all hell, at least you tried!!!11!1!!!!!one!!1!
Here is the problem though.

if blizzard started punishing people for one-tricking a hero, does that mean your teammates should have the authority to FORCE you to swap? What if you just pick a hero they don't like? I've played Hanzo on my alt account and had people absolutely RAGE at the character select screen before the game even started-- but I ignored them. played my hero. and we won and I did my job just fine with 4 gold metals and potg.

It sets a dangerous precedent.

what if I fill and pick a healer.
"No ana, go mercy." I don't want to play Mercy this game. I want to play Ana. If they want a mercy then they can play mercy and help me heal. But instead they decide to report me and now I'm in trouble just because I didn't want to be Mercy for my 10th game in a row.

What is the difference? People getting mad a one-trick in their game vs people getting mad because they dont like a teammate's hero pick-- what is the difference there?

Let me be clear before the hivemind comes to downvote No matter who you are playing, if you are doing poorly then you should always be open to switching.

I dont support one-tricking and I don't one-trick. I "Flex" before I even knew what that meant and just assumed everybody played different heroes. I mean there's 26 characters in the game-- why wouldn't you want to play them all?

But if I shouldn't get in trouble for playing a hero my team doesn't like, then a one-trick shouldn't either. Because objectively, there's no difference.

That being said, competitive is the place where people should play to win. You shouldn't have to swap all the time just because someone wants you to, no, but sometimes you have to compromise. I'm a Genji main. 150+ hours all modes. Yet in comp-- I play Mercy. Mercy, Zenyatta, Symmetra, Soldier, Dva-- Genji yes-- but if im getting stomped my first thought is always "what can I do?" and 9/10 it means trying someone else.

if a one-trick can't play anyone else, then they shouldn't be playing competitive. There's 26 heroes in the game. I don't believe that someone finds every single last one of them unfun aside from their main. Especially since they're going to have that one game where someone takes their hero from them. even the "famous" one-tricks can and do play other heroes from time to time. Playing only one character and absolutely no one else just isn't viable in a game like this.
02/13/2018 01:59 PMPosted by JellyandJam
02/13/2018 12:30 PMPosted by BillHicks
Flex is being mediocre in everything.

Do you know how stupid that sounds?

You know how salty and triggered you sound?
02/13/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Tesshin
I'm a widow main too and i really enjoy playing her as well, i'm so sick and tired when i hear ppl talking sh*t about widow and giving her so much hate, and that i will get reported for "throwing" and "being bad" etc when i've done my job and always get kills and help out the team. I help escot the payload now and then and i try y best to kill those who attack our healers but i still get hate and death threats for it.

and people always say " you did nothing widow, thanks" and i'm like "if i didn't do anything how can i have a certain amout of hero dmg & elims?" some people are really stupid.

I'm really happy that ppl in OWL are using widow as well and make her look good as a hero and someone who isn't useless like everyone think she is.

Edit: Why should i get downvoted when i'm totally on ops side O.O

Read more than the first line of the thread. You'll understand.
Haha. Nice one OP. And indeed, the groupthink is one hell of a scary thing sometimes.
FLEXING isn't just picking whatever meta hero you think is right, it's about adjusting your playstyle to your teammates as well. it's much easier to do in quickplay than in comp since nothing is on the line there and many off-meta heroes synergize better with ones that aren't meta either. it requires a deeper knowledge of the game.
02/13/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Traaaaaaacer

Honestly, the worst widow sitting in spawn is at least not charging any ults.
1000iq. If you sit in Spawn..every Fight your team takes is 5vs6.. literally a lose and pure feeding unless the other team has the same issue. Therefore ppl who have game knowledge group up before pushing in.
Now here's the thing, you look at my name. You look at my hours. What's your idea of me in your mind? Please, tell me what it is.

I'm a One-Trick. I'm a highly competitive one-trick, although when I am not in Competitive mode, I try to relax and have fun and often find myself laughing when someone tries to force me into swapping off of Roadhog. Roadhog can function as a Tank or Off-Tank, depending on the situation, team-composition, map, all sorts of things. I am skilled in both regards, although I'm not in Masters, now am I?

Now, let me show you the error in logic that states "one tricks are bad".

02/12/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Champ
I suck at Widowmaker. My winrate is atrocious. But as long as I actually try and dont jump off the edge, it's not throwing and I'm fully allowed to. I'll never swap when my team wants me to, because I enjoy Widowmaker, and I'll never join comms because I don't want to endure the abuse. Who cares if 5 people who are willing to flex and still lose, and my hero choice is at their expense, because I'm the one person who refuses to swap in a competitive mode?

That is... that's just being a douche. I'm sorry, I can't sugarcoat that in any way feasibly and have it still be true.
  • While what you said is technically correct, there are things that you stated that put you at fault and possibly make you liable to be reported.
  • #1. The idea that One-Tricks are reportable, well that's been clarified already. You can't report ANY One-Trick on the grounds that they are a One-Trick. HOWEVER, we are not immune to reports, and we are still liable for being reported if we break one of Blizzard's rules on what is a reportable offense.

Our Rights as Customers
    If any of us swear at you, that's reportable. If any of us make racial slurs, that's reportable, etc,. Being a One-Trick is our choice, we bought the game, Blizzard can tell us to go play a different game-mode, but we bought the game before any such rule as that was put into place, it's not in the Terms of Service or Blizzard would have enforced it by now. Because we bought the game, just like any of you, we are free to do what we want as long as we don't break Blizzard's rules.

#2. Widowmaker requires decent aim, that's her core mechanic. You don't need to rely on your abilities heavily if you have good aim and good positioning (cue the Stylosa voice-clips). However, it is ENTIRELY your choice and your fault if you decide to go into Competitive with little to no practice whatsoever. I know full well how much of this community treats one-tricks like we're about to bring on Wrath of the Lich King, but the simple fact of the matter is that most of us aren't that bad.

#3. As stated in #2, it is always your choice as to how much practice you put into a character, but keep in mind that honor is not held by all, and that even the most honorable have limits.

#4. The popular bit of mythology that says One-Tricks need to leave communication-channels to avoid abuse, is wrong AND just plain stupid. If you are a One-Trick, leaving the communications channel is even WORSE of an idea because usually your team needs you to work with THEM and work with YOU. It's not a one-way street, cooperation is required by both parties. So is respect.

Example:
    I have Match Voice Chat, Team Voice Chat, Match Text Chat, and Team Text Chat, all set to auto-join. I will never change that. I am set to push to talk so that I may reduce my odds of accidentally saying something regrettable in any situation where things are going negatively, no matter who I am, I do not have the right to take out my anger/frustration on others, and anyone who thinks that they're above that is a bigot. However, the moment someone is GENUINELY toxic to me, I will report them with a few quotes of what they said/typed, with the added message of "Check the text-chat logs" if they typed anything; then I hit "P" and turn off their text/voice chat, right click their name, and press "Mute" and "Block" knowing that I cannot persuade them further. To at least be able to HEAR your teammate's communication/signals, heavily increases your chances of winning. You NEVER need to leave the communication channels to "avoid abuse", you report the person, mute and block them, and remain in the channel with the non-toxic people. If (s)he is harassing others, give them the same advice.

#4 & 1/2. No other player can ever FORCE you to swap, it is always your choice in the matter and no ordinary person can change that, needs to work for Blizzard and needs to have to confirm it with a superior.

#5. The main purpose of one-tricking is to stay with something you enjoy, and eventually get better with it. If you believe that detrimental Widowmaker/Mercy is so harmful to you, rejoice in the fact that you will likely not encounter them a significant amount of times throughout your gaming experience. Also, keep in mind, the next time you see them they should have improved significantly. Will they still be bad? Maybe. But could they be much better than they were before? Absolutely!

#6. Some One-Tricks are a LOT less team-reliant than others. For example, despite being a One-Trick, I specifically chose Roadhog as I know he is one of (if not) THE most self-sustainable, versatile characters in the whole game, with many uses. I am also aware that he works in many, MANY team compositions. This is not true of all One-Tricks, please do not treat all of us badly if you had a negative experience with another. I do not agree with everything certain One-Tricks may do, but I thoroughly enjoy working with my team and I do not believe that I need to flex to be of good use to my team. I have been thanked many times for my help in games of all modes, the only times I am ever yelled at for playing Roadhog is when I pull off an amazing hook, interrupt an enemy ultimate, constantly kill one person (by coincidence), or when I'm in Deathmatch and am "only playing Roadhog because I have no skill".

Disclaimer
    This is a secondary account, specifically for One-Tricking Roadhog, and I do not plan to change that at any given point in the future that I can foresee. I am speaking mostly from personal experiences and what I have read on the forums, if anyone wishes to correct anything I have said with absolute fact (with evidence), please feel free to do so.

This is my account according to Overbuff, there are many with my name, but this is indeed my page. If any of you wish to check my stats, then this is where you will find them.
    https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/BigPig-11751

As you can see from my statistics, I'm not a very good shot. What else can you expect from someone who has functioned as a Reinhardt/Flex Main, for over 450 levels on their main account? Can I function as a Hitscan? Yeah, but I'm way better with slow projectiles (hence my over 50% hook accuracy, I am a force to be reckoned with as far as projectiles are concerned). I also do my best to help the team.

Thanks for reading, hope any of you that see this have a wonderful day/night. I thank you for your respect, and I will respect you as-well.
    02/13/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Jask
    Y'all seem to conveniently forget that one tricks are usually quite good at what they do. One tricks are hardly the ones who stand there and stubbornly refuse to switch. In all my experience, it's usually the DPS who refuse to switch.

"We could use a tank"
    *Four DPS in unison* "No"

Stop throwing one tricks under the bus. Honestly the argument is old and you're just pointing fingers at the easy targets.

Exactly this. We one-trick to get better at that character BECAUSE WE LOVE PLAYING THAT CHARACTER. I specifically avoided One-Tricking a DPS role, because I know how many of you DPS "Mains" refuse to swap. I specifically avoided One-Tricking a Support role (as I already have an account for that, and because) of the reason that I know there are many Supports who can't do much else. I picked THE most versatile, self-sustaining character in the game to One-Trick (in my eyes), who I still HEAVILY enjoy.
    It'd be really funny if the matchmaking system had a way to determine which players are one tricks and match together as many one tricks of the same hero as possible.
    OP kills it. One Tricking is simply poor teamwork.
    02/13/2018 05:55 PMPosted by trintrin
    It'd be really funny if the matchmaking system had a way to determine which players are one tricks and match together as many one tricks of the same hero as possible.

Well aren't you just a little sadistic *$^@? (I censored that myself).
    The likelihood of you encountering multiple one-tricks of the same hero in a game, is EXTREMELY low. To change the Matchmaker to screw with us, would be nothing but giving others an ego boost while discriminating against fair customers. Most of us do our best, we're given a bad name by those who behave like toxic children, which, by the way, isn't limited to One-Tricks. Look at your own behavior, that's just-wrong.
    One tricks aren't the problem. Many one tricks will help you win.
    What you mean to say is, people who are playing any hero at all and won't switch to help their team are a problem. If you're losing and you're not doing well, you switch, even if you're playing a hero that is considered good.

02/13/2018 06:00 PMPosted by idSurge
    OP kills it. One Tricking is simply poor teamwork.

It isn't poor team work if the onetrick wins games.