I'm a Widowmaker one trick from now on.

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
02/13/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Jask
Y'all seem to conveniently forget that one tricks are usually quite good at what they do.

Master, GM, and top500 one tricks, sure. Bur who ever plays with them?

Gold and plat one-tricks? lol no.

Also to OP
02/12/2018 04:38 PMPosted by xavvypls
Also the part about a dev update doesn't exactly favor Mercy mains. Especially the latest one where she's nearly gutted, so I don't know what you were ranting about there.

^This
No one, not devs, players, or mercy mains have ever supported Mercy one-tricks. Only other one-tricks do.
02/12/2018 04:30 PMPosted by TheCheese
The difference is that even the worst Mercy can do some small amount of good for her team. The worst Widow might as well sit in spawn.

It doesn't matter because "lelelele you bought the game therefore you can play what you want and can have fun XD".
That's the problem with the one trick policy everybody who's actually trying has.
Mercy main here. Sadly 100% true. Not sure about a solution mind you. But I feel that people should at least be able to flex within their role or perform one or two off role functions. Like I can play any healer and a few dps. Not much of a tank though.
02/12/2018 04:30 PMPosted by TheCheese
The difference is that even the worst Mercy can do some small amount of good for her team. The worst Widow might as well sit in spawn.
This.
02/12/2018 04:28 PMPosted by XxProReapsxX
02/12/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Champ
Replace every time I say "Widowmaker" with "Mercy" and see how suddenly I'm the victim and will get 200 upvotes on every thread, on these forums.

This is too true.
The only difference is that heal is always welcome and needed, its like comparing peaches with apples
I suck at Widowmaker. My winrate is atrocious. But as long as I actually try and dont jump off the edge, it's not throwing and I'm fully allowed to. I'll never swap when my team wants me to, because I enjoy Widowmaker, and I'll never join comms because I don't want to endure the abuse. Who cares if 5 people who are willing to flex and still lose, and my hero choice is at their expense, because I'm the one person who refuses to swap in a competitive mode?

Sound bad?

Good.

Replace every time I say "Widowmaker" with "Mercy" and see how suddenly I'm the victim and will get 200 upvotes on every thread, on these forums. Suddenly the devs will dedicate a whole dev update video to defending you. I'm no longer the bad guy if it was Mercy.

I'm sick of being a flex player and losing tons of SR to one tricks, not necessarily Mercy. I'm sick of having the forums and the devs defend this behavior in a competitive mode, when they can just tell the one tricks to go play ANY OTHER MODE IN THE GAME.

I'm going to abide by this, too. If it doesn't apply to Mercy, it shouldn't apply to Widowmaker, and so not to me. I don't care how much SR I lose.

This'll be downvoted. Oh, this will be downvoted, but that only goes to show you that the Mercy mains(Correction: One tricks) run these forums and hive mind-bully the developers into letting them one trick a hero and never swap in a competitive gamemode. I'd wager they were only pressured into nerfing her AT ALL because the investors were seeing how OWL was getting boring with Mercy/Zen in almost every game, and they had to shake things up to keep them happy.

its poor team work, right off the bat. not working with those around you.

sorry not sorry.

you do not have the right to force losses for the 5 others you are inevitably going to bring down.

you know better and understand widow is not effective in this situation AND NOW picked widow regardless of that fact, now you're throwing.

even generic heroes like mercy, reinhardt, lucio, ARE NOT always effective across all maps and game modes. not even just widow.

one tricks are an abomination regardless of hero and all deserve the boot. you knew when you signed up for the game it was a team based game, and you would have to make sacrifices and work with strangers over the internet, you all took that core fundamental of overwatch and sent it to the shredder and expected not to have any repercussions.

OVERWATCH LOADSCREEN TIP - "you can press H to change your hero at any time"
02/14/2018 03:49 AMPosted by ƒudge
I suck at Widowmaker. My winrate is atrocious. But as long as I actually try and dont jump off the edge, it's not throwing and I'm fully allowed to. I'll never swap when my team wants me to, because I enjoy Widowmaker, and I'll never join comms because I don't want to endure the abuse. Who cares if 5 people who are willing to flex and still lose, and my hero choice is at their expense, because I'm the one person who refuses to swap in a competitive mode?

Sound bad?

Good.

Replace every time I say "Widowmaker" with "Mercy" and see how suddenly I'm the victim and will get 200 upvotes on every thread, on these forums. Suddenly the devs will dedicate a whole dev update video to defending you. I'm no longer the bad guy if it was Mercy.

I'm sick of being a flex player and losing tons of SR to one tricks, not necessarily Mercy. I'm sick of having the forums and the devs defend this behavior in a competitive mode, when they can just tell the one tricks to go play ANY OTHER MODE IN THE GAME.

I'm going to abide by this, too. If it doesn't apply to Mercy, it shouldn't apply to Widowmaker, and so not to me. I don't care how much SR I lose.

This'll be downvoted. Oh, this will be downvoted, but that only goes to show you that the Mercy mains(Correction: One tricks) run these forums and hive mind-bully the developers into letting them one trick a hero and never swap in a competitive gamemode. I'd wager they were only pressured into nerfing her AT ALL because the investors were seeing how OWL was getting boring with Mercy/Zen in almost every game, and they had to shake things up to keep them happy.

its poor team work, right off the bat. not working with those around you.

sorry not sorry.

you do not have the right to force losses for the 5 others you are inevitably going to bring down.

you know better and understand widow is not effective in this situation AND NOW picked widow regardless of that fact, now you're throwing.

Yep. Accepting the fact that certain heroes cannot be played effectively on all maps, sides and comps can bring you a lot closer to a win. Imagine if the majority actually accepted this and started adjusting hero picks to the situation. It would reduce a lot of bad demoralizing games.

Its a dream that wont ever come true as long as smurfing exists. Unrestricted freedum leads to chaos
I see that people's behavior towards Mercy players haven't changed at all. At least one consistent thing is running here... :D
Except that a Mercy on any skill level is often more useful than a high skill Widowmaker
*shrug* Okay.

Presumably, if you stick to your words and are not throwing, you're actually trying to win, you're improving. There's practically no way not to, especially on a character who can act more independently than other characters (compare this to, say, Zenyatta, whose effectiveness dwindles if his team is more heavily loaded with high HP, low mobility heroes, especially if he's solo healing).

Besides, a good Widow is scary.

Sound bad?

Good.

Thats the thing though, a lot of Mercy players get bullied in comp no matter their skill or how well they do. I switch if the team wants me to, and if i see value in their suggestion. I however wont swap off because ''Mercy is useless now, what are you doing playing her'', i wont swap off because my McCree cant kill a Phara (not phara mercy) without deadeye even though im pocketing him when he fights her so he decides its my fault we are losing ''because i lost my press q win the game hero'' and im a trash Mercy.

I had a soldier main in my game yesterday. His winrate on soldier? 24%. No one called for him to swap at any point in the game, no one flamed him or told him he was bad (he was bad and we lost the game, not through his fault alone ofc). That same soldier called out our hanzo to swap cause he has a 30% winrate on hanzo. My winrate on Mercy is above 50% at all times. But it doesnt matter, hes playing a proper hero that no one objects to.
Ive had the same thing happen with McCrees, Anas, Moiras, Lucios, Zaryas, most tanks to be honest. If tanks are called to swap its usually among the lines of ''we need a shield tank on defence'' or ''we need a winston (or dva)''. No matter how bad they are doing or how much they are dying.

I had a Widow that was doing well, but 3 of our teammates kept running in and getting picked off, guess what happened at the end of the round? ''Widow swap youre useless''. And i know she was doing fine, cause ye, im a Mercy main, I keep track of the kill feed, if my beam is on you i know if you are hitting your shots, and as a support i know where you are on the map cause i see you through terrain. So yeah i know that if our Widow is being chased around by 3 people on their team and we cant either kill them or kill the rest of their team, the Widow is not the problem here.
This is a dumb thread. You're mixing up two different issues:
1. "One-trick" players are bad because you're less likely to form a decent team comp when some players on the team are only willing to play 1 hero.
2. Niche/off-meta heroes refusing to swap is bad because they have legitimate counters. If you continue to play into those counters you are severely hamstringing your team.

Being a Mercy-only player is significantly less bad than being a Widow-only player because Widow suffers from also being off-meta and having many heroes/maps which counter her. Widow has both of these problems facing her while Mercy only has #1.

I am a Widow main and I think I play her better than any other hero, but I don't play her every game because there are obvious situations in which she is much less effective. I wish I could play her every game, but the devs like some heroes having hard counters and others having no weakness whatsoever.
It's cute how the OP has so many upvotes yet most of the thread is open disagreement.

Methinks someone called in their reddit buddies.
02/14/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Mokinokaro
It's cute how the OP has so many upvotes yet most of the thread is open disagreement.

Methinks someone called in their reddit buddies.

Or people who are fed up with having that one person in the team that refuses to adapt.
This'll be downvoted. Oh, this will be downvoted

Hmm, 141 likes.
Hivemind refused to cooperate? :V

Sound bad?

Good.

Thank you for this.
02/14/2018 06:48 AMPosted by CASHBALLER
This is a dumb thread. You're mixing up two different issues:
1. "One-trick" players are bad because you're less likely to form a decent team comp when some players on the team are only willing to play 1 hero.
2. Niche/off-meta heroes refusing to swap is bad because they have legitimate counters. If you continue to play into those counters you are severely hamstringing your team.

Being a Mercy-only player is significantly less bad than being a Widow-only player because Widow suffers from also being off-meta and having many heroes/maps which counter her. Widow has both of these problems facing her while Mercy only has #1.

I am a Widow main and I think I play her better than any other hero, but I don't play her every game because there are obvious situations in which she is much less effective. I wish I could play her every game, but the devs like some heroes having hard counters and others having no weakness whatsoever.

And there are situations where mercy isn’t the best pick, but they won’t switch. Yes they are very different heroes, but his point makes sense in that he is allowed to play only widow maker if he so chooses. I feel like he used mercy simply as an example and not as the only one trick he’s sick of.
this is super incendiary.. and you purposely used Mercy to incite trouble.

moving on, a better and more productive thread would address adding role queues. I was against it myself, but now it seems logically a good fix.

you're just as apt as the enemy team to get an unproductive OT or thrower. You just notice it more because they're on your team.
The preemptive victim complex declaration in the OP seems quite funny now after it got upvoted to the heavens.
No one likes One Tricks whatsoever. People in the forums will make it seem like they do, but in game, that opinion is not shared. They completely ruin the experience, when they dont switch even though theyre under performing.