Effect banned

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Actually one tricking is not poor teamwork and that has already been established by Blizzard. Read up.

One-tricking something that works or can work is not poor teamwork.
One-tricking something that isn't working at all is poor teamwork.

If your team is doing fine with a 1-trick, more power to you.
If you're losing because your Symm can't even get into range for 3 minutes, then their unwillingness to change, then I wouldn't blame anyone for reporting poor teamwork....unless it was because your other support refused to heal her, then they'd be the one reported.

It's a difficult thing to quantify, unfortunately, and people aren't meticulously analyzing who they report. 1-tricking merely increases the chances that your teamwork will be poor, for obvious reasons; being unable to adapt to help your team makes that clear.

Gnome--- see and that would be our opinion which everyone has one.. but your opinion doesn't make rules in the game . Blizzard does and they have already spoken on the matter, it is not poor teamwork if they play bad or not the way you want them to. If they are dancing around and not moving/shooting/healing and are at point A when the objective is at Point B now, then yes that would be legit. That is not my opinion btw I am paraphrasing commentary from Josh and Jeff and it also states examples in the report system.

Essence, I do understand- they did change their stance and rules on that since Beta. It is a catch 22, you can't please everyone. However... If you look at it from their side- the current one trick rule is beneficial to them. Several are buying second accounts in order to not touch their main SR and go practice and level on DPS and I know for a fact that a few have second accts who are one tricks.. but on their main account they are flex meta.

They do it for two reasons- to not harm their SR, and to not be bullied on their main by ignorant people and control freaks who cannot comprehend Blizzard's rules on this no matter how many times they said it.
Good. If Overwatch League is to ever achieve the mainstream appeal that the folks at Blizzard and Activision so eagerly desire then they need to begin holding their employees to a code of conduct. That code should start by requiring said employees to abide by the company's terms of service. No one is above the law, so to speak -- especially not the people serving as the face of your new esports league.
I don't think I've ever seen a game cause so many people to lose their minds and just rage out so often (myself included).

Maybe it's time to go play some Witcher or something more calm.
There are lots on angry people defending otp in this thread. I see, I see. I'm pretty sure your experience playing with otp are amazing.
One tricking is not bannable.

If the player was trolling (I.E. putting teleporters on the edge of a cliff or right next to your own spawn room), then I can understand. However, the person just picked Symmetra. Only picked her to play as.

What Effect did was report the player just for picking Symmetra.

That's not reportable. I'm sorry.

So, what Effect did was false report. False reporting can lead to punishments. Chances are Effect has done this many times in the past.

I do agree that one tricking is "meh" at best, but people should be able to play whoever they want. All I ask is that you don't troll, try your best and have fun. Winning is awesome. If we lose it's whatever. You win some and you lose some.

I do recommend that everyone learns to play some of the characters if not all. That way if things aren't going good with your main then you always have characters to fall back on.
02/02/2018 03:47 PMPosted by MEITTI
One-tricking something that isn't working at all is poor teamwork.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOyuIs4UEAASmE5.jpg

Sorry, Blizzard disagrees. Too bad.

"Playing a hero that is not considered optimal by the community"

Is VASTLY different from

"Playing a hero that is having little-to-no effect on the game."

If you play Symm, fine, so long as you're able to help the team. If you play Genji, fine....so long as you're not dying to Winston at the beginning of every fight.

What the community thinks of a hero has NOTHING to do with my criteria; whether you are effective on ANY hero is.

Understand the point of the person you're arguing with before regurgitating your copy-pasted picture, please.
Blizzard has already said that one-tricking, while not good for everyone's experience, is not a reportable offense and those that falsely report players do get actions against them. Sorry not sorry.
I'm not mad he's banned. I'm not happy either. But what he did was not alright. So now, take the punishment like so many others do.
02/02/2018 03:47 PMPosted by MEITTI

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOyuIs4UEAASmE5.jpg

Sorry, Blizzard disagrees. Too bad.

Is VASTLY different from

If you play Symm, fine, so long as you're able to help the team. If you play Genji, fine....so long as you're not dying to Winston at the beginning of every fight.

What the community thinks of a hero has NOTHING to do with my criteria; whether you are effective on ANY hero is.

Understand the point of the person you're arguing with before regurgitating your copy-pasted picture, please.

Whether one-tricking or not, it's poor teamwork. Although I agree with most of your points, who decides that something isn't working? The person who knows best is the person doing the one-tricking as they have the best view of their play. But Overwatch matches have no impartial arbitrator over every match to make these decisions, and just because three of your team say you should switch, that doesn't mean they're right. Opinions are contageous and off-meta heroes are easy targets when things go wrong.
Now, if someone who is not a sym onetrick picked sym on attack, is that a bannable offense? We generally regard to that behavior as "troll" or "poor teamwork", but if the argument for sym onetrick is "people should be able to play whoever they want", then why can't other players pick sym on attack?
Gnome--- see and that would be our opinion which everyone has one.. but your opinion doesn't make rules in the game . Blizzard does and they have already spoken on the matter, it is not poor teamwork if they play bad or not the way you want them to.

That's not what I'm saying. People play below their average all the time, and is not my concern.

I myself am more annoyed by people who try to control how others play than by OTPs, so I'm actually completely on board with that. The difference, is that there are plenty of people who don't demand changes, yet are still at a disadvantage because their teammate can't work with them due to hero limitations.

We can't force people to change (a good thing,) but we're all at the mercy of someone who values their one hero choice over effectively capturing the objective.

This isn't a fight I can win, because ultimately Blizzard has made their stance clear, but I am going to retain the idea that those who do not ever switch are not playing as a team. To be clear, I don't report people for doing it (unless they are actually not trying,) but that's only because Blizzard has stated it's not bannable.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Is VASTLY different from

Whether one-tricking or not, it's poor teamwork. Although I agree with most of your points, who decides that something isn't working? The person who knows best is the person doing the one-tricking as they have the best view of their play. But Overwatch matches have no impartial arbitrator over every match to make these decisions, and just because three of your team say you should switch, that doesn't mean they're right. Opinions are contageous and off-meta heroes are easy targets when things go wrong.

That's definitely true, since it's hard to tell if it's not working, but I'm only referring to cases where it's blatantly obvious. If we're unsure if it's working, I think the benefit of the doubt is a safe bet.

I'm not against people trying to make it work; I'm against the Torbjorn who hasn't gotten a single turret up for 5 minutes and dies first every fight due to barriers + Junkrat making it virtually impossible.
02/02/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Gnome
Gnome--- see and that would be our opinion which everyone has one.. but your opinion doesn't make rules in the game . Blizzard does and they have already spoken on the matter, it is not poor teamwork if they play bad or not the way you want them to.

That's not what I'm saying. People play below their average all the time, and is not my concern.

I myself am more annoyed by people who try to control how others play than by OTPs, so I'm actually completely on board with that. The difference, is that there are plenty of people who don't demand changes, yet are still at a disadvantage because their teammate can't work with them due to hero limitations.

We can't force people to change (a good thing,) but we're all at the mercy of someone who values their one hero choice over effectively capturing the objective.

This isn't a fight I can win, because ultimately Blizzard has made their stance clear, but I am going to retain the idea that those who do not ever switch are not playing as a team. To be clear, I don't report people for doing it (unless they are actually not trying,) but that's only because Blizzard has stated it's not bannable.

I get where you are coming from. I see both sides - I do agree with Blizzard's stance on freedom to choose.. but they do need to make it more balanced or perhaps even tweak the most common heroes that are bashed for one tricking so that some will not feel they are slighted on the team for someone choosing.
02/02/2018 05:06 PMPosted by MisAdventure
I get where you are coming from. I see both sides - I do agree with Blizzard's stance on freedom to choose.. but they do need to make it more balanced or perhaps even tweak the most common heroes that are bashed for one tricking so that some will not feel they are slighted on the team for someone choosing.

I can agree with this. I'm still a fan of niche heroes, but they need to be effective at their niche...unlike Torb/Symm, who require very specific circumstances.
Good, he deserved the ban/suspension after that.
All of you are braindead. Sure, one tricking isn't bannable, but refusing to switch off Symmetra because you don't want to ruin your stats and you are performing extremely badly is extremely selfish. Effect didn't report him because he doesn't like the hero; he reported him because it was a KOTH map and Symmetra is not a good hero on KOTH. Surprisingly, the Symmetra didn't do well. Also, Effect did deserve to get banned according to Blizzard's rules. I'm not claiming that Effect was false banned, I'm saying 1 tricking is selfish and shouldn't be allowed.
02/02/2018 06:13 PMPosted by bczink
All of you are braindead. Sure, one tricking isn't bannable, but refusing to switch off Symmetra because you don't want to ruin your stats and you are performing extremely badly is extremely selfish. Effect didn't report him because he doesn't like the hero; he reported him because it was a KOTH map and Symmetra is not a good hero on KOTH. Surprisingly, the Symmetra didn't do well. Also, Effect did deserve to get banned according to Blizzard's rules. I'm not claiming that Effect was false banned, I'm saying 1 tricking is selfish and shouldn't be allowed.

To get better at a hero, you have to challenge yourself.

What better challenge than to not take the easy way out of a counter? How about 2 counters? 6? Can you keep a 1/1 KDR? Can you win?

It's about progress, training, and perseverance with the obvious underdog pick because if you can outplay your counters, the the only thing that can stop you is your team, not what map you're playing on.

And even if you're being crushed by 6 counters, your teammates could easily take the counterpick for you. Reaper for Symmetra against Winston, for example. The Winston gets furious and the enemy team comp falls apart with them trying to counter you and you alone.
02/02/2018 03:21 PMPosted by ZYŦHIX
02/02/2018 03:12 PMPosted by mRtImTaCo
... He ended up with that Sym One Trick several games in a row.

And?

Blizzard says one-tricking isn’t bannable.
He reported a guy for one-tricking.
He reported before the match even started.
Blizzard say that in itself is bannable.
xQc got banned for the same reason.
Consistently.
Working as intended.

02/02/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Essence
02/02/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Jsleezy
Good. People need to chill with taking the game so seriously. The one tricks are still playing to win. People need to stop clenching their buttcheeks about losing SR when they should be having fun, comp or not

Umm did no-one tell you hes a professional overwatch player? It's quite literally his job to play this game.

Really? He's a professional? Couldn't tell, must be those tantrums he throws.
Only time to report a OTP is when they're throwing by not switching when they're constantly being countered or doing absolutely nothing for the team.
02/02/2018 03:16 PMPosted by jasonwocky
02/02/2018 03:12 PMPosted by mRtImTaCo
... He ended up with that Sym One Trick several games in a row.

I don't understand how gets a 2 day ban then. If I play with you, and you exhibit poor teamwork, and then I get queued up with you again and that finally triggers me to report you....it's obvious I'm reporting you for the poor teamwork the first time, isn't it? I mean, that's why I'm mad at you...right? What you did before?

Just because seeing you again is what pushes me over the edge doesn't make my report about your previous game any less valid.

Anyway, I guess the best lesson is never to report anyone on stream. Just do it off camera.

i dont like effect any more than any other pro, but i kinda feel the same way. i think they should have a report labeled "one tricking" so the report can be logged as a non-bannable offense report. this way people can report validly that they feel this is messing with their gameplay, but the person receiving the report doesnt have to worry about negative consequences so much because its a non-bannable offense. if a person gets a ridiculous number of the reports then their gameplay should be review as they may be trolling.