Year of the Dog Event and CTF

General Discussion
Blizzard removed CTF from near permanent availability in the Arcade back in early Summer 2017 on the basis that it would not return "until they could fix the mode to make it a better experience overall. That NEVER happened (to the annoyance of my friends and I who exclusively played CTF whenever we played in the Arcade) and CTF has seen all of TWO days of accessibility since then.

More likely than not, Blizzard decided to spend all their balancing time on Mercy the last 4+ months instead of balancing CTF like they said they were doing, so that they could leave the changes until the YotD event began (likely to give us our "something new" the second time around like Comp Lucioball and +4 heroes in Junk's Revenge).

What do you think they changed/how do you think CTF will be playing out moving forward starting with the beginning of YotD?
Hopefully taking damage just slows capture progress instead of resetting it.
bump now that it is day time and the forums are not dead lol
There's an option when in custom games that disables abilities when you have the flag. I think it'll stop the stupidity of using Sombra's stealth or Zenyatta's ultimate to get cheap points. It's something already in the game, so I don't see why they don't put it in the actual mode.
02/04/2018 10:29 AMPosted by DaSquyd
There's an option when in custom games that disables abilities when you have the flag. I think it'll stop the stupidity of using Sombra's stealth or Zenyatta's ultimate to get cheap points. It's something already in the game, so I don't see why they don't put it in the actual mode.
fair point

Honestly that will ruin the mode. At least 2/3 of the heroes have mobility abilities. How will a flag bearer ever score a point, especially with how big some of the maps are? Just imagine having the flag and being forced to walk base speed while a tracer non-stop blinks up to you and 1-2 clips you while you are completely helpless other than to jump a little.

And with how much crap people setup to defend the flag with, is it really fair to say it's cheap for Sombra to translocate and stealth away after likely having to blow her ult and have her teammates help her get the flag in the first place?

I play CTF as a 3-4 stack in which we rack up Sombra, Dva, Winston ults before we even try to make a real attempt at the flag. We then have Winston jump onto the flag outta nowhere and drop a shield while Dva ults into the flag simultaneously. All the while, Sombra comes out of invis and EMPs to make Dva bomb more likely to be successful. Winston and Dva clean up whatever is left and try to body block on the flag. On successful runs of this, about 6/10 Sombra gets it, 3/10 Winston gets it and ults away, and 1/10 Dva gets it after re-meching and gets out of there. No matter who gets it, the other two always straggle behind to play bodyguards.

I wouldn't really call that CHEAP. The only time it's cheap is if your team is not defending at all and letting Sombra walk onto the flag without any effort
I love CTF. It was incredibly fun although with slight issues such as being able to use movement abilities whilst holding the flag.

Why they almost completely removed it and keeping mystery heroes or lockout elimination is beyond me. We get LoE and MH all too often and it becomes straight up boring as they overstay their welcome.
People still play the CTF mode? I liked the idea but in practice in a game like OW, it really doesn't work considering if you don't go with the meta team comp for it, you'll lose.
02/04/2018 12:46 AMPosted by Satchyss
"until they could fix the mode to make it a better experience overall. That NEVER happened

Maybe they're taking their sweet time as usual. I'm sure it will come. Just like how they fixed mercy.
New game mode: Capture the dog. Tracer goes back in time and buys Christmas lootboxes until she gets Orisa's dog emote. This gamemode costs real money to play and you don't keep any of the rewards unless you get the dog emote... then you unlock an achievement and get a spray of the dog.
I read they made a whole new map just for CTF this time. Isn't that the best thing for the mode? I didn't like it when it was first added because the map clearly wasn't designed for it and you could only win by playing in a cheap, gimmicky way due to that.

If you like the mode, a new map should help.
02/04/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Goldlantern
I read they made a whole new map just for CTF this time. Isn't that the best thing for the mode? I didn't like it when it was first added because the map clearly wasn't designed for it and you could only win by playing in a cheap, gimmicky way due to that.

Where did you see this?
I don’t know, I thought CTF was pretty horrible. I know it’s super popular but I struggle to see why. Usually the first team that captures the flag wins, and they’ll just turtle for the rest of the match. Tracer can pretty much get to the flag in three blinks, and then it’s GG.

Maybe in year of the dog, they’ll bring it back with changes.
02/04/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Eclipse
I don’t know, I thought CTF was pretty horrible. I know it’s super popular but I struggle to see why. Usually the first team that captures the flag wins, and they’ll just turtle for the rest of the match. Tracer can pretty much get to the flag in three blinks, and then it’s GG.

Maybe in year of the dog, they’ll bring it back with changes.

Honestly, it was the only game mode my friends and I enjoyed getting our 9 wins off of (after we lost the ability to use this great cheesy comp we had in 3v3 before lockout). No RNG, no silly rules, etc. Ever since, getting our 9 wins each week has been brutal and we often think of it and call it a chore to do.

CTF is a great mode if you are playing with 3-4 people in a group. As solo players I can imagine it is god awful and feels like a flawed mode. With only 6 people per team, if you cannot communicate and make your team understand that 2 people MUST AT ALL TIMES stay at the flag while 3 go for it and 1 plays midfield, you will lose every time if the enemy team has even a slight clue as to how to play.

YES, we would often advocate for increased defences after scoring a point, but our Sombra is one of those people who can't just wait it out so he would keep harassing. Honestly that was enough to make our increased defenses irrelevant a lot of the time.

We have come across maybe 1 tracer who gave us problems, but otherwise she is pretty irrelevant in CTF. With only 150 hp, Tracer cannot do much to clear the flag area (to get the flag) with how hyper defense is a thing in this mode. Sym turrets and/or Torb+Turret is enough to make it next to impossible for a Tracer unless her whole team is helping her. BUT whenever we know the enemy team is being foolish and ALL coming, we just have our Sombra go MIA and take their flag to counteract the point we just gave up LOL

^This. We need an actual CTF map.
02/04/2018 11:35 AMPosted by TrollGenji

^This. We need an actual CTF map.

Just off the top of your head, no pressure just first thoughts...what would such a map look like? Like what would make a map good for CTF?
Blizzard removed CTF from near permanent availability in the Arcade back in early Summer 2017 on the basis that it would not return "until they could fix the mode to make it a better experience overall. That NEVER happened (to the annoyance of my friends and I who exclusively played CTF whenever we played in the Arcade) and CTF has seen all of TWO days of accessibility since then.

More likely than not, Blizzard decided to spend all their balancing time on Mercy the last 4+ months instead of balancing CTF like they said they were doing, so that they could leave the changes until the YotD event began (likely to give us our "something new" the second time around like Comp Lucioball and +4 heroes in Junk's Revenge).

What do you think they changed/how do you think CTF will be playing out moving forward starting with the beginning of YotD?

I still don't understand why Arcade doesn't offer every single mode all the time.

Would love to have the reason explained by a blue.
02/04/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Banicks

I still don't understand why Arcade doesn't offer every single mode all the time.

Would love to have the reason explained by a blue.

"Long queue times BLAH BLAH." Same reason why we don't get a lot of things. IMHO I would rather wait an extra 1-2 minutes if it meant getting more mode choices, better play experiences game to game, etc list of ideas/suggestions in the forums that are never to be considered because of "increasing queue times". -_-
Well i think only certain abillites should be blocked. Like Translocakting after cap, Or zen ulting. But like winstons jump and lucios amp it up as well as tracers blink should still be allowed.
02/04/2018 01:24 PMPosted by KuroTheGory
Well i think only certain abillites should be blocked. Like Translocakting after cap, Or zen ulting. But like winstons jump and lucios amp it up as well as tracers blink should still be allowed.

And how would Blizzard justify why some heroes keep their mobility abilities while other don't? It would come off as completely random and inconsistent.