Sound barrier needs buffs

General Discussion
02/12/2018 09:51 AMPosted by VRaptor
02/12/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Crusher48
Compared to transcendence, sound barrier is fairly weak. Yes, it can provide protection against burst damage, but good luck actually landing the cast when you need it, because there's a very good chance you get taken out as you cast it and lose the ultimate.

I agree with this. For as long as it takes to charge, it doesn't really do much. Especially is Sombra has her ult ready.

I say shorten the charge time and make the shield deplete at about half it's current speed.
His ult might be the way it is as a balance factor to his kit. Think about it: high mobility, small hitbox, self healing, aoe healing, aoe mobility increase, and the ability to displace/environmental kill the enemy. A pretty versatile kit.

Still, wouldn't object to some adjustments to the casting or decay rates.
I think your first idea is excellent. Higher risk for higher reward makes him more interesting to play
02/12/2018 10:04 AMPosted by righthere
His ult might be the way it is as a balance factor to his kit. Think about it: high mobility, small hitbox, self healing, aoe healing, aoe mobility increase, and the ability to displace/environmental kill the enemy. A pretty versatile kit.

Still, wouldn't object to some adjustments to the casting or decay rates.

Those are some good points. I hadn't considered his ult could be balanced around his utility.
Although I like the higher air time to "Drop the Beat" powers it up... I think optionally it could do enemy knockback as well.
02/12/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Ashram
Transcendance doesn’t protect you from riptire or pulse bomb. Sound barrier does!

Sound Barrier is incredibly difficult to time against a RIP tire. If you're a moment too soon, the Junkrat can often just wait out some of the shield mitigation and then kill you anyway. And if you're any bit too late, well..

Pulse bomb is hardly worth the effort. The fuse is so quick that it'll likely just kill you during the cast time of sound barrier unless you and tracer pressed Q almost simultaneously(or you situationally drop beat on an upward slope). Even then, it's not a fair trade. Sound barrier is better spent on other situations. Dropping beat when the tracer might've botched the throw would be a waste, and the amount of reaction time it'd take to be certain she stuck somebody or not wouldn't give you much of a chance to save them.

While Sound Barriers may theoretically be a more suited support ult between the two in this case, it's still really not all that reliable against tire and pulse bomb because of its cast time. Transcendence is still the superior choice against a majority of offensive ultimates.
Sound Barrier is a good defensive ult against burst damage. Unlike trance which only keeps you alive through most sustained damage.

I think his ult is fine, a shorter cast time would be nice though
what do you guys think about giving him a second ultimate or changing his ultimate to the one in HOTS? in case nobody knows what it does, when you have speed up and cast ult it slows enemies in crossfade's and when you have heals up and cast ult it deals a bit of damage to enemies in crossfade's radius.

i think it could be interesting giving a support a more aggresive ult, especially Lucio since he is the "battle medic".
I agree that sound barrier is weaker than it should be. It's extremely easy to kill Lucio before he casts it, and the shields deplete too fast to be very useful.

Just change the ult to deplete over 8 seconds instead of 6 and I'd be fine with it. That or have it offer increased healing as well.
02/12/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Nobridgibup
02/12/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Ashram
Transcendance doesn’t protect you from riptire or pulse bomb. Sound barrier does!

My reaction
Junkrat:
Wait 4 seconds
Same with Tracer, heck generally you can kill the ulting Lucio with the Tire. And You'll rarely see a Lucio ult stop a pulsebomb and its not a fair trade even so.

If your team can't kill the riptire in the four seconds you're waiting, they deserve their fate.
the only buff soundbarrier really needs is letting it cast through barriers.
02/12/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Crusher48
Compared to transcendence, sound barrier is fairly weak. Yes, it can provide protection against burst damage, but good luck actually landing the cast when you need it, because there's a very good chance you get taken out as you cast it and lose the ultimate. Here are some ideas to improve the ultimate so that it can be used more effectively.

1: Sound barrier strength increases based on the time spent airborne after the ultimate is pressed, with double strength when dropping from 15 meters or higher. This means that lucio can make a higher risk but higher reward play by dropping the beat from the high ground.

2: Lucio gains immunity to damage (but not to CC) before the sound barrier lands. This way, sound barrier is more likely to successfully cast when needed.

Comparing ultimates doesn’t make sense. Coalescence is weak because Moira’s midfight is extremely strong. This is similar for Lucio. With high damage. Speed boost, AoE heals, easy cc and high mobility, Lucio offers more without his ultimate than Zenyatta, so it makes sense for his ultimate to be weaker. However, there are scenarios where Sound Barrier is more effective than Transendence, namely during Graviton Pulse Bomb, Meteor Strike or RIP-Tire combos, as Transendence can’t heal through burst damage.
The major issue with the ultimate was made apparent after the ultimate changes a few months ago. The whole point of his ultimate was to stop pulse bomb, or to help low teammates. Genji can still kill one or two with sound barrier activated, that goes for soldier as well. At Nano to that and it's basically non existent.

You can argue beat protects you from riptire, but let's be honest, it doesn't. It has a 10 second lasting time, sound barrier has a 6 second lasting time (and tire needs to only wait about 2-3 because it goes down) and it has about a 0.75-1.5 second cast time on average.

It really is as simple as increasing the duration it lasts.
Lucio beat dropping from the top of the control room on Lijang Tower more often? Yes please