D.Va's balance perspective from a D.Va main

General Discussion
I have over 140 hours on D.Va across modes, probably 20-30 hours on other accounts as well. You can see a good chunk of these hours on my profile here.

I've played her since June 2016, when I bought the game, in every competitive season except 3 (lived in a dorm without internet access for a while).

I'm going to get straight to the point — I think she's too strong overall and needs some tuning down. This is all opinionated and subjective, so if I speak as if something is fact, keep in mind it's based on anecdotal experience and how I personally feel about the game.

My problems with D.Va:
-She deals too much burst damage with a free control flight ability on a low cooldown. It's not fun to be a 200 HP hero who dies instantly because a D.Va randomly flew into them in a corridor as she's able to immediately turn around and escape with the rest of her boost, then have it again in 5 seconds while missiles come back in 8 seconds. In most situations, there is little or no counterplay to a D.Va flying onto you and getting a free pick as a squishy target.

Proposed Solutions:
-Reduce the damage of D.Va's guns during flight. This keeps their power when she's grounded and facing a mobility penalty while using them, but it also keeps them from feeling too oppressive when she's using her boosters.

-Increase micro missile cooldown to feel like less of a 'spam' ability. This would help keep D.Va's pick potential in check, punish her for misusing the cooldown, and lower the amount of times she can assassinate someone from 200 to 0 per game.

D.Va also feels like she has too much survivability at times. It's not as much an issue as the brief period where she had 400 armor, 200 HP, but it still feels like too much for a hero with so much burst damage and mobility. She can feel oppressive to fight or kill without very heavy focus fire. Defense matrix still feels like it lasts a -bit- too long when she's trying to keep herself alive or outplay other heroes in 1v1s.

Proposed Solutions:
-Lower defense matrix duration just a bit. Nothing major, just a slight change, like .2 or .3 seconds or something.

-Remove 100 HP so that she's 300 HP, 200 armor. She still has great survivability, but it's not as ridiculous. She's an off-tank with so much burst damage and mobility, so having the most beefy health pool in the game is a bit odd.

Revisiting the concept of a 500 HP total D.Va now that she's a lot more mobile and has more damage than her early days would work better now than it did back then, in my opinion. She's essentially a team's 3rd DPS while having strong mobility and protection capabilities, so some sort of tuning down feels fair. I think she has a bit too much at once, and she feels specialized in more areas than any other hero in the game.

I feel like implementing at least one of these changes would keep D.Va as a strong, versatile hero while making her feel less oppressive. She would still most likely be played a lot in the pro scene and on ladder, while being less obnoxious to play against and giving Roadhog + Zarya more chances to shine in the off-tank slot.

Thoughts?
I could've sworn nothing changed from the last time D.va was reworked and people complained she was too weak... What happened in that span of time to change this besides a meta that made sense to include her?
I wouldn't use the "not fun" argument.. it comes across as childish (not just yours..all the "not fun" arguments).. on any given day, I could say that about essentially every hero, depending on how my games are going.

You have some interesting points and I wouldn't mind having a look see at them in like a ptr version...

I wouldn't be taking the whole pro-level D. Va is in every game yada yada..the flaw in that is most people who take that approach (no matter the hero) look at the hero in question in a vacuum, not taking into account hero synergy and other team comp details, for example.

glhf!
02/12/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Zence
I could've sworn nothing changed from the last time D.va was reworked and people complained she was too weak... What happened in that span of time to change this besides a meta that made sense to include her?

Her usage and winrate didn't change much since then. A lot of what she can do feels cheap for most heroes in the game, and she makes playing DPS, support, or certain tanks feel more difficult because of how much control she has in a match, as well as her damage potential and survivability.

She's still in almost every OWL game and makes it difficult to justify running Roadhog or Zarya in the same slot. This trickles down to the ladder and even quick play. She's extremely versatile and can feel oppressive, in my opinion.

Also, please don't generalize and group me in with a group of people I was never a part of. I don't really know what you're going on about, in all honesty. I myself didn't witness a major change in perspective from the community of how good she is after her rework. I saw her just as often in my games, and people still thought she was a strong hero (in my experiences, of course, which are just as valid as someone else's).

The reasoning in my post for why she feels oppressive and what can be done to address are stand-alone points that have nothing to do with the perspective of the community or the state of the game during her rework. I feel disrespected because I don't feel like my post was read and that I'm just being lumped in with a part of the community I never claimed to be part of just because someone might not like the idea of D.Va being nerfed or stand-alone points to be contradictory with a vocal minority of the community that's completely separate from my post.
Dvas fine, dude....
250+ hours here (between accounts), and no she's fine. Really tired of these people saying to nerf everything.

Where were these complaints between August and November, all of a sudden we're seeing these lame complaints.
02/12/2018 11:12 PMPosted by Amo
I wouldn't use the "not fun" argument.. it comes across as childish (not just yours..all the "not fun" arguments).. on any given day, I could say that about essentially every hero, depending on how my games are going.

You have some interesting points and I wouldn't mind having a look see at them in like a ptr version...

I wouldn't be taking the whole pro-level D. Va is in every game yada yada..the flaw in that is most people who take that approach (no matter the hero) look at the hero in question in a vacuum, not taking into account hero synergy and other team comp details, for example.

glhf!

Those are very fair points. I should revise the "not fun" parts of my case, though it's hard to find objective data or think of what can be used for objective data on things like D.Va's assassination potential. I could reword it a lot better as well.

I feel like D.Va being so prevalent in the pro scene, in the big picture, is due to her many strengths synergizing in many comps and working well against just about every hero in the game. She works well with death ball, dive, 3x/4x tank, and anti-dive or bunker comps (though Roadhog is generally preferred in the last one, D.Va is still good in it).

There's also counters like Zarya being a more niche pick in pro play to take into account, since with pro coordination, she gets less charge and less value out of her kit. Though Houston Outlaws vs. London Spitfire was a sight to behold, watching Coolmatt dominate as Zarya while keeping the enemy D.Va in check in game 5 was an example of how to counter D.Va.

D.Va also felt difficult to play in season 2, with the Zarya+Mei+Zenyatta comps I'd run into. I was a one-trick at the time, so swapping wasn't on my mind since I was horrible at other tanks, and found more success being stubborn (things have changed).

Looking at Zarya or Mei could be the solution, but I have so little knowledge on those heroes that I might be overstepping if I spoke on them too much. If either hero was adjusted too much, or adjusted for the sake of being in the pro scene, they could end up too powerful for everyone else. So I'm not sure if me speaking on those topics would be a good idea. But I wouldn't mind more counterplay for D.Va in the game. They're also looking at Sombra currently.

I think one of the problems is that D.Va's counters aren't used much. Zarya herself faces D.Va as competition on the off-tank slot. I'm not sure exactly how to approach this, looking at the big picture and not just trying to think of D.Va in a vacuum.

I hear Zarya falls off in Master+, and her stats right now on Overbuff aren't too stellar for any rank. She has very strong aspects of her kit, but feels a bit underwhelming in general (both objectively and subjectively). Even in lower ranks, she suffers just as much stats-wise. So what I said about them potentially overtuning her is less of a worry after looking at her data. I dislike playing against Zarya (subjective), but I feel that buffs to her to make her compete with D.Va in the off-tank slot or make her a more respectable D.Va counter would be healthy for the game.

D.Va just has so much that she takes the off-tank slot by default. That's part of what makes her so good. Survivability, mobility, consistency, and burst damage.

I feel like she has too much compared to Roadhog and Zarya (especially Zarya) for that slot, but that's personal perspective.

Difficult topic, but I feel like giving D.Va more competition in the off-tank slot and helping her counters if they're in difficult spots could be the way to go.
Rough crowd.

People really like D.Va, and only one person was willing to give reasonable, respectable feedback.

Was hoping people other than D.Va mains would vote on this post or reply.

I came in with no expectations and was still disappointed.

D.Va mains are almost as stubborn as Mercy one-tricks.
02/12/2018 11:55 PMPosted by MasonEliwood
Rough crowd.

People really like D.Va, and only one person was willing to give reasonable, respectable feedback.

Was hoping people other than D.Va mains would vote on this post or reply.

I came in with no expectations and was still disappointed.

D.Va mains are almost as stubborn as Mercy one-tricks.

It probably isn't only D.va mains though. Currently i think she's fine enough I'd say one reason she feels a bit more powerful then normal is because Zarya hasn't been a popular pick recently aside from 6 stacks that run the 4 tanks+2support lineups.

Is it annoying to die to her? Sure she's a tank who thrives on bullying other characters since they can't do enough damage to kill her before she kills them but there's all sorts of annoying ways to die in the game and at least for me she doesn't feel particularly broken at the moment.