Rebuying raises SR

Competitive Discussion
Did an experiment. Rebought game because their is no MMR reset.
Lost almost all placement matches on new account. Still came out about 600 SR higher than my main.

It’s easy to have a high MMR to set your first SR assignment because it comes from quickplay:

1.) In quickplay you have the freedom to not waste your time. I don’t have but about two hours every other day to play. Unlike in Comp, where 3/4 of that is wasted on griefers or one trucks who from the moment I enter character select now OWN the next horrible unfun 20 minutes of life.... in Quickplay I just leave. The moment I know I am not having fun because my group is not a workable team I leave QP and get a new game.

2. QP also doesn’t have a crazy arbitrary points assignment system based on “skill”, where based on unknown factors you can have 60% win rate and still lose 200-300 SR.

3.) MMR is sticky. So those 25 levels you had to play before quickplay don’t care about your placement matches, at all. SR is not sticky. It’s fickle not only in the way mentioned in point 2, but there are throwers, people with bad routers who lose connection, and a great number of games where no one wants to play healer or shield because it’s not fun. I don’t consider any of those a real match because it was gimped from the get go but they still suck down SR. That’s not how the game is supposed to be played. Sure in the long run if you play enough matches you can dilute this out.
Am I willing to saddle in and add several extra matches to my weekly play time for EACH thrower, DC, 5 Widow mains? Am I suppose to just take in stride when the thrower who just wasted 20 minutes of my time I’d going to cost me another 30-60 minutes in addition to just undo his selfish BS? Does this work of diluting the losses of crappy role regardless matchmaking now have to consume every free waking moment because Blizzard won’t let us ROLE QUEU or AVOID PLAYER or ACCEPT TEAM before committing to spend the next 20 minutes playing with them?
That's because you usually have to lose your way to bronze, the game doesn't just place you below 1500 unless you have literally jumped off the map every game leading into placements.
at some point in time you also lost your way into bronze.
Maybe ...or maybe I am just indebted to the game about 100 or so hours I am not willing to pay out of my free time on top of the hours and hours of wasted comp matches from trolls and leavers. If you aren’t willing to do put in the time to undo the losses of encountering the trolls then you are going to lose lots of SR. I’m not going to end a 20 minutes wasted session all inspired to play until I get back the SR before that match just to get back to square Zero. And sometimes in the quest to square zero you get another griefer... grats you are at square -2. My point was this doesn’t happen in quickplay. You just ditch the leavers and find a new game and there’s no hole to climb out. MMR is an assessment of play, not a pretend measure of a ladder like SR wants us to think it is.
So without the time sink of going in time debt to trolls you can pop out higher with a new account. Which is absolute bs and shouldn’t be necessary
That's like saying after flipping 3 heads and 7 tails, flipping another 10 times and flipping 7 heads and 3 tails raises the chances of flipping heads vs tails, when in reality if you flipped it 100 times, you'd get a 50% chance of flipping heads/tails, hence why after 100 games on your new account, you'd be back in exactly the low elo you were before.
so here is the deal, i bought this acount for fresh placements, given enough time on your accounts your mmr is going to have been accumulating for a while and is hard to break out of. even if you drastically increase skill it can still be difficult to climb on the ladder. my other account is gold, my main, but when i played on this account im keeping pace with people in diamond and higher, new accounts offer a new chance at comp to have a better experience imo. but you also shouldnt have to buy a new account to climb
SR means skill rating but ironically it has nothing to do with skill because if it did people with multiple accounts would have around the same SR across all accounts.
02/07/2018 11:28 AMPosted by tnucreggin
That's like saying after flipping 3 heads and 7 tails, flipping another 10 times and flipping 7 heads and 3 tails raises the chances of flipping heads vs tails, when in reality if you flipped it 100 times, you'd get a 50% chance of flipping heads/tails, hence why after 100 games on your new account, you'd be back in exactly the low elo you were before.

I’m saying if you play 10 games and get 3 “tails”. Well hey now your in debt to play at least 6 more games to get back to square zero to wipe there stain away.

I’m saying if you play ten games and get 7 “tails”, you don’t get allowed back to square zero and free of their stain unless you play the 14 games to was them away.

1 game for each tails to pay back the negative, then 1 more for each tails to give you your shot at progression back.
trust me. its not hard to solo out of bronze. even if your entire team quits the game, you still have a fair chance of winning...
Its true. In My second account I was placed mid diamond, managed to stay there. On this account (my main) Cant get out of plat.
Does 600 SR difference really matter that much? I thought about trying a second account to see where I’d place now if I did it from scratch, but I’m not sure a 600 SR difference would be big enough for me to bother. I can gain or lose that much in a few weeks as it is.
02/07/2018 11:45 AMPosted by AoD
trust me. its not hard to solo out of bronze. even if your entire team quits the game, you still have a fair chance of winning...

Lol this is so false
02/07/2018 11:32 AMPosted by monkaTHINK
even if you drastically increase skill it can still be difficult to climb on the ladder. my other account is gold, my main, but when i played on this account im keeping pace with people in diamond and higher

It's really easy to climb if you "drastically increase in skill". I'd like to see your old account stats, and where you are on this account after a bit longer. You're level 28, you've only been able to play comp for 3 levels.

02/07/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Scorp
SR means skill rating but ironically it has nothing to do with skill because if it did people with multiple accounts would have around the same SR across all accounts.

They do, given that people play the same way at least. Of course people who are support mains that buy a "DPS account" are going to end up with a different rank.

I've seen people place on a new account with a different placed SR to "show people ranking is wrong", and then fell back to their old SR after they played a bit more. No one is saying the first placement of an account is super accurate.
jokes on you, your mmr is based on your multiple accounts, and effected by qp. if you are losing sr regularly during the season in ranked play below 1700. your either playing less then 30 games a season, and/or your putting up terrible stats. its not hard to put up good stats in a lose while still trying to win. particularly below gold level. I usally only play comp on this account with my rl friends who are 1500-2k ish this season they bailed I played 30 games solo, went 15-15 climbed 300sr. if you are decent this game will literally make it impossible to not gain sr below plat. ive climbed to 2500 from high bronze/low silver 4 times now its really not hard at all. if you played 50-100 games I would put money on it your new accounts sr would eventuly tank to close to what it was before, granted you don't get any better.
02/07/2018 11:46 AMPosted by KEYENNAH
Does 600 SR difference really matter that much? I thought about trying a second account to see where I’d place now if I did it from scratch, but I’m not sure a 600 SR difference would be big enough for me to bother. I can gain or lose that much in a few weeks as it is.

600 between plat and diamond does mean alot, it means your opponents are alot more challenging and imo its alot more fun.
i went from 2400 to 3000 after placing this account, the games i get on here are soooo much better than the gold games i had
just keep playing. im pretty sure the account thats 600+ sr will even out in the end. it always does.

Your logic doesn't take increasing skill into account.
It's really easy to climb if you "drastically increase in skill". I'd like to see your old account stats

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Winzander-1278

thats the other account, i do plan on playing more comp this weekend as the weekday means i wouldnt play at my best with work and such.

all i can really say to you is playing by myself in qp i was matched with high plat to masters and then when going into comp my games were constantly with diamonds
i ended up placing around 2940 and then got 60 points for my next win bringing me to 3007
ye. im pretty sure the match making system works alot better then people give it credit for. It'll bring you to your level after playing long enough. it always does.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
02/07/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Twizznaldo

I’m saying if you play 10 games and get 3 “tails”. Well hey now your in debt to play at least 6 more games to get back to square zero to wipe there stain away.

I’m saying if you play ten games and get 7 “tails”, you don’t get allowed back to square zero and free of their stain unless you play the 14 games to was them away.

1 game for each tails to pay back the negative, then 1 more for each tails to give you your shot at progression back.

I suggest you atleast read the wikipedia entry to rudimentary statistics before you make uneducated opinions such as this.