Is not playing the objective considered throwing?

General Discussion
...Because almost every game I want to report pretty much half my team. Getting extremely annoyed with being made to 1v3 on point when everyone is alive, ESPECIALLY ON DEFENSE. It's only made worse for me since I'm usually playing tank. Why am I made to feel like garbage for trying to play the game as its designed?

Side note: Objectives need to either be removed from QP or heavily incentivized because LITERALLY no wants to plays the game like that. And I'm tired to trying to convince people this isn't COD.
It's expected when you play in Gold division. People are in that division for a reason - they do not fully understand how to play this game.

Not saying this happens only in Gold, this continues pretty much until GM, but in lesser extent.

So if you want better games, your only option is to get higher in ranks. Good news, you can pretty much solo-carry yourself to Diamond by playing D.Va/Roadhog/Zarya - given you're playing good enough. If not, then you may not understand how this game works yourself, which keeps you from progressing away from Gold.
02/10/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Arevenge
It's expected when you play in Gold division. People are in that division for a reason - they do not fully understand how to play this game.

Not saying this happens only in Gold, this continues pretty much until GM, but in lesser extent.

So if you want better games, your only option is to get higher in ranks. Good news, you can pretty much solo-carry yourself to Diamond by playing D.Va/Roadhog/Zarya - given you're playing good enough. If not, then you may not understand how this game works yourself, which keeps you from progressing away from Gold.

Didn't come to Overwatch to solo-carry, if that's the experience I wanted I would have stayed in COD.
02/10/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Chalklate
02/10/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Arevenge

Didn't come to Overwatch to solo-carry, if that's the experience I wanted I would have stay in COD.

I understand. But you should understand that not everyone can play at the same level. You cannot expect OWL-level games from Gold-rank players.
02/10/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Arevenge
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Didn't come to Overwatch to solo-carry, if that's the experience I wanted I would have stay in COD.

I understand. But you should understand that not everyone can play at the same level. You cannot expect OWL-level games from Gold-rank players.

Then at bare minimum 1 of 2 things need to happen: Objective time needs to matter more than everything else OR we need a non-objective game mode menu option for both QP and comp, TDM does exist after all so make it a permanent addition.
02/10/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Arevenge
02/10/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Chalklate

Simply expecting people to play the actual objective isn't "expecting OWL-level games", not at any rank.
6 people doing something stupid are more potent than one person doing the right thing. If you aren't trying to shot call and get people doing what you are doing or they aren't willing to do so it's better to follow the herd. If your teammates are fighting people in stupid places then they must be fighting the enemy team in stupid places and for one team that is the winning strategy.

Then at bare minimum 1 of 2 things need to happen: Objective time needs to matter more than everything else OR we need a non-objective game mode menu option for both QP and comp, TDM does exist after all so make it a permanent addition.

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, but there is nothing wrong with the objective design in this game. When you start understanding how the game works, it makes much more sense.

Again, if after so many hours on D.Va you're still in Gold, this only tells me that you're not using her to full potential. Try watching some videos and learn how D.Va is played - this will help you climb in ranks.
02/10/2018 08:48 PMPosted by MuteLunatic
6 people doing something stupid are more potent than one person doing the right thing. If you aren't trying to shot call and get people doing what you are doing or they aren't willing to do so it's better to follow the herd. If your teammates are fighting people in stupid places then they must be fighting the enemy team in stupid places and for one team that is the winning strategy.

This man is telling the truth. If your team is defending at the enemies' spawn, then don't be stubborn by going to the choke alone, leaving all your team fight at the enemies' spawn. Go fight with them. Especially that you're playing tanks, you can help protect them from making bad plays.
02/10/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Arevenge

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, but there is nothing wrong with the objective design in this game. When you start understanding how the game works, it makes much more sense.

Again, if after so many hours on D.Va you're still in Gold, this only tells me that you're not using her to full potential. Try watching some videos and learn how D.Va is played - this will help you climb in ranks.

Again, team game...all its takes is 1 person not playing they way game is instructing and its out of your hands.

That being said I don't really try to spend too much time in comp because, again, no gating system to improve quality of games. When number of games won by effort exceed games won by dice roll then we can talk about skill.
Depends on who they're playing as.

Widow should never be on the point, Tracer should be coming back to harass if she's gotten a pick or losing a duel.
Most tanks, excluding Winston and D.Va in most situations, should always be pushing the point or objective, and most deathball dps should also be playing the objective.

If you have like a Sym or a Pharah on a mad flank against a damage heavy comp, their counters, and the like, I'd consider it throwing if you ask them to stay with their team more and they just ignore you or BM you for it.
Most dive heavy heroes should be working to clear it and get better positioning once the team fight is won, though.
It''s not throwing, having someone going out to hunt for kills is a useful and common strat, even in high level play.

The problem is when everyone thinks they're special, and you end up with 4 people doing it at once with no actual teamwork where it matters.
Play the objective?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Good luck with that one.

-cheers
"Not playing the objective" is throwing if, say, you're busy decorating the map with sprays, or setting up turrets where no enemy player will ever in a million years see it, or testing out your dance emote on perilous ledges.

"Not playing the objective" because you're getting tunnel visioned, chasing the enemy too deep, trying to spawn camp the enemy, or trying to replicate this really cool play you saw on your favorite streamer's highlights, is not throwing. It often demonstrates a lack of gamesense/skill, but it's not the same thing as losing on purpose.

As frustrating as it is to get teamed up with people who aren't very good at the game, people are allowed to not be good at the game. And at lower ranks, they're gonna not be very good.

Don't report people for playing poorly if you don't have a reason to believe they are intentionally losing or screwing around.
02/10/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Chalklate
...Because almost every game I want to report pretty much half my team. Getting extremely annoyed with being made to 1v3 on point when everyone is alive, ESPECIALLY ON DEFENSE. It's only made worse for me since I'm usually playing tank. Why am I made to feel like garbage for trying to play the game as its designed?

Side note: Objectives need to either be removed from QP or heavily incentivized because LITERALLY no wants to plays the game like that. And I'm tired to trying to convince people this isn't COD.

No it's not considered throwing. And the experience you are looking for is freely available in Competitive Mode. Go there.

Again, team game...all its takes is 1 person not playing they way game is instructing and its out of your hands.

That being said I don't really try to spend too much time in comp because, again, no gating system to improve quality of games. When number of games won by effort exceed games won by dice roll then we can talk about skill.

Yes, but we're talking Gold here, right? In Gold everyone plays like that - not only you team! Their team is in the same situation... so just capitalize on it.
Not playing the objective is in fact listed in the report options as an example of "Poor Teamwork." If someone isn't playing the objective you can report them for that.
Be sure that they indeed are not playing the objective and just not off of it (snipers, flankers, people successfully getting picks at a choke away from the point to prevent pushes from happening).
02/10/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Slyther0829
It''s not throwing, having someone going out to hunt for kills is a useful and common strat, even in high level play.

The problem is when everyone thinks they're special, and you end up with 4 people doing it at once with no actual teamwork where it matters.

Literally every game.