Toxicity towards large stacks

General Discussion
I know a lot of people don’t like being placed with large stacks of people when they are solo queuing or duo queuing. I play in a large stack most of the time(4-5 stack) and there has been quite a few people in solo or duo stack that have been instantly toxic towards us just because we were a large stack.

We are usually a very pleasant stack to play with but we encounter a lot toxic people and many of them start right as the game starts. We never start the toxicity, we can have someone pretty much throwing and will still try to be as nice as we can.

We had a girl on our team last night who insta locked torb on attack horizon. As usual we just checked her stats and she had 16 minutes played in all competitive seasons. She asked if she could play torb and we said that it’s fine but it kinda looks like you’re throwing. She ended up switching to tracer but she continued to be toxic and basically played solo, the entire match she over extended and not with the team, she kept switching back and forth with characters and barely got any ults. We tried our hardest not to be toxic. Luckily we one this game but this all started for no apparent reason at all.

Basically my point is just please try your hardest not to be toxic with stacks. It doesn’t help anyone and it makes it much harder to win games.
Like, was she actually being toxic in chat? Because no offense, but your post doesn't make this clear. It just looks like she had poor game sense, which is fine, and not toxic.
02/11/2018 01:43 PMPosted by SputnikGT
Like, was she actually being toxic in chat? Because no offense, but your post doesn't make this clear. It just looks like she had poor game sense, which is fine, and not toxic.
She wasn’t being directly toxic just very passive aggressive and basically not trying. It was pretty clear to us what she was doing. First by picking torb and then some other characters that she had very little time on. She was basically doing as little as she could but enough to were she couldn’t be reported for it.
To be quite frank your story sounds like the perfect reason, why people do not like playing with large stacks.

You pick a hero, you get bad mouthed by 4 to 5 people for your hero choice. You actually do the switch and the large stack is still complaining about your performance.

Being alone with a 5 stack is just overall bad experience. Because when things do not work out, the people in the stack will never see the fault with themselves. It is always the other guy, and that is why I always sigh when I see a 5 stack. Because you guys are of course not toxic to yourselves. Just the rest of us.
Stacking is probably the most toxic thing in OW for many different reasons , Blizzard needs a solo q option period . That way selfish ppl like ur self can sit and wait for other selfish ppl to play against , and let us solo q people enjoy the game to . Stacking at its core promotes selfish behavior . Along with that comes instant toxic behavior from both the stack and solo q players forced to play with them .
It's just incredibly rare to come across a stack of 3+ players who are actually pleasant to play with. I actually had a 5 stack today who were, but they're very much the exception, and it was pretty clear the solo queue player put with the other team's 5 stack was not enjoying themselves at all.

What tends to happen is one of a few things:
- The stack are being all chummy with each other, and basically ignoring you as a solo queued player(s). Even if you fill a role to work with them, they don't use your shields, they don't position themselves well to be healed, they don't follow up your ults etc. or they don't heal you because you're not 'one of them'. You may as well not even be there, because they're together, don't really communicate to you whatever it is they want. In this case, it is often easier to just pick something else you can work alone, and play alone and hope for the best.

- They 'take charge', and do so aggressively, and it doesn't matter how compliant you are, you won't be good enough for them, so you're just going to take the blame for everything that goes wrong. One 3 stack today ranted on at a 76 they'd played with before, going on how they sucked and should switch. We won, the 76 had 50%+ kill participation card.

- They frankly, should be in QP, because they are there only to have fun.

- Someone in the group is a carry/smurf, either way it's not going to be fun either because the carry is just not good enough or the smurf just carries and there's just nothing there for you to do. Obviously even with a win in this case, you gain very little.

- They pick 3-4 DPS and expect the people they're put with to Tank/Heal for them.

Ultimately, premades are there for each other, no one else, you're not a part of their team and simply never will be.
02/11/2018 02:01 PMPosted by yandere
To be quite frank your story sounds like the perfect reason, why people do not like playing with large stacks.

You pick a hero, you get bad mouthed by 4 to 5 people for your hero choice. You actually do the switch and the large stack is still complaining about your performance.

Being alone with a 5 stack is just overall bad experience. Because when things do not work out, the people in the stack will never see the fault with themselves. It is always the other guy, and that is why I always sigh when I see a 5 stack. Because you guys are of course not toxic to yourselves. Just the rest of us.
We are not the ones in the wrong here. We are totally for people playing who they want as long as they try their hardest. But when you see someone insta lock torb on attack with 16 minutes played that does not look good to anyone and we still weren’t being toxic. This is exactly what I’m talking about with people being toxic with stacks and you guys are proving my point right now. Stacks are a thing in overwatch and if you’re gonna be toxic every time you get matched with one them don’t play comp.

We see faults in our gameplay and we fix it. We are not ones to hold back on each other, if someone in our stack isn’t doing well we tell them. If anything we get blamed more by solo and duo players more than we blame them. You’re mindset is the exact reason you hate playing with large stacks, I bet you bring toxicity from stacks onto yourself most of the time with how you’re talking now. Starting off a game with sigh is a problem with you not the stack you’re playing with and any game that starts with that is already toxic on your part.
02/11/2018 02:28 PMPosted by Jessicka
It's just incredibly rare to come across a stack of 3+ players who are actually pleasant to play with. I actually had a 5 stack today who were, but they're very much the exception, and it was pretty clear the solo queue player put with the other team's 5 stack was not enjoying themselves at all.

What tends to happen is one of a few things:
- The stack are being all chummy with each other, and basically ignoring you as a solo queued player(s). Even if you fill a role to work with them, they don't use your shields, they don't position themselves well to be healed, they don't follow up your ults etc. or they don't heal you because you're not 'one of them'. You may as well not even be there, because they're together, don't really communicate to you whatever it is they want. In this case, it is often easier to just pick something else you can work alone, and play alone and hope for the best.

- They 'take charge', and do so aggressively, and it doesn't matter how compliant you are, you won't be good enough for them, so you're just going to take the blame for everything that goes wrong. One 3 stack today ranted on at a 76 they'd played with before, going on how they sucked and should switch. We won, the 76 had 50%+ kill participation card.

- They frankly, should be in QP, because they are there only to have fun.

- Someone in the group is a carry/smurf, either way it's not going to be fun either because the carry is just not good enough or the smurf just carries and there's just nothing there for you to do. Obviously even with a win in this case, you gain very little.

- They pick 3-4 DPS and expect the people they're put with to Tank/Heal for them.

Ultimately, premades are there for each other, no one else, you're not a part of their team and simply never will be.
Yes I understand how some stacks can be but not all of the stacks are the same. Being toxic towards a stack at the beginning of the game is no way of starting. If you start being toxic right as the game starts then you deserve the blame because that just sets the mood for the entire match and playing in a toxic environment is very hard to do.

In my stack if you’re nice to us we’ll be nice back and the other way around. I’m sure there are stacks that are toxic all around but not all stacks are like that but if you start every game you get matched with a large stack with toxicity don’t expect them to be nice. Just be pleasant, it might not work with every stack but it’s better than ruining the game for everyone because you set a toxic mood right off the bat.
I’m basically asking people to not be toxic to large stacks right as a game starts and I’m getting downvoted. There’s something wrong with this community.
I think it's less being toxic to you and more about expressing their hate to the matchmaking, seems like most games do not seem to get it right.
join comp if you are a premade, otherwise your just looking to stomp
02/11/2018 04:42 PMPosted by HaveSuome
I’m basically asking people to not be toxic to large stacks right as a game starts and I’m getting downvoted. There’s something wrong with this community.
It is basically impossible to ‘be nice’ to the big group who hold all the cards. That’s the problem.

I mean, you straight up say ‘be nice to us...’ that’s your expectation, that you’re in charge, we’re there to service you, fill the gaps in your group. We’re immediately treated as the outsider so that’s how we act.
It's fine, you can play that char, but we're going to imply that we all think you're throwing if you do. Hint hint we've all got a report button to get you suspended for playing non meta.

You think you weren't toxic? You were in the wrong from the start frankly as she had no obligation to ask for your permission to play her character. The fact that she did was her being nice. You met that with toxicity & frankly you're lucky she actually switched and didn't just mute all chats. You want to control the 6th on your team? Then make a 6 stack and don't force a solo queue to deal with your teams set playstyle.

We are usually a very pleasant stack to play with

We tried our hardest not to be toxic.

[/quote]

I smell contradictions, if you are so nice as you are saying, you should not even need to try hard not to be toxic.
Eh I dislike stacks, had a 4 stack yesterday and we were placed against a 6 stack.. one of them was boosting I'm sorry but I refuse to accept that a mercy one trick can magically turn to a master+ tracer material player.. I reported the account and told him that they're boosting the answer was "you'll stay in plat noobie" jokes on him! I dropped to gold lol
We won the game only because that tracers stack were really bad.

It's sad when you see people stack boosting like that.
Play as a 6 stack if the problem is finding one person you guys have got to be able to scrounge one person up between the 5 of you. And if the problem is that you are trying to avoid 6 stack queue because it's pretty consistently harder (no clue if it's like that on console but it is a thing on PC iirc) just man up and play as a 6 stack.

Honestly being the solo person is pretty awful when you are with a 5 stack it's like you are on a sinking ship trying to get a lifeboat and there are 5 people who know each other and you are just a total stranger and you know for sure you are going to get screwed over first if something goes wrong.

Even playing with a 4 stack as a solo'er kind of sucks they should really limit queues to like duo queue or maybe triple queue though 3 stacks are still kind of pushing it.
02/11/2018 02:36 PMPosted by HaveSuome
We are not the ones in the wrong here.

Yes, you are and you should better understand why, because you seem to be completely unaware how in-group vs out-group mentality works.

1. In your original post you only talk about we vs her. How was the consensus among the "we" group created? It that was without her. You simply confronted her with your per-established consensus.

2. You basically described "being toxic" as anything, you and your pals do not like. That is not only wrong, but in itself toxic behavior.

3. Tracer is a flanker, goes behind enemy lines and actually works solo a good part of the time. She and genji are pretty much the best heroes you can play with a 5 stack. Because both need little co-ordination with the rest of the team to effectively fill the role. She essentially adapted perfectly to you guys. Did she play bad? I have no idea and it doesn't matter.

Your whole post did ooze with how ungrateful you are with your 6th player. That you just meet a ton of people and they somehow are ALL toxic towards your 5 stack.

The problem is that this experience (for both sides) is pretty consistent, because of how the in-group vs out-group thing works and you do not seem to be aware that this usually goes wrong. What you describe is not people being toxic, you describe the problems that come with having an in-group vs an out-group.

That is in general a complicated problem to address and usually nothing you can solve in 10 min high octane action.
02/11/2018 01:37 PMPosted by HaveSuome
We tried our hardest not to be toxic.

You make it sound like it's a challenge to be a decent human being.

Just because the player in question wasn't performing up to your standards doesn't mean they were throwing. Tracer is a flanker. She's actually good at separating from the team. If she was going in to try and get a pick, good for her. What were the rest of you doing? Surely none of you were at fault, not offering suggestions, talking down about her abilities from the moment the game started.

Give me a break.
02/11/2018 01:37 PMPosted by HaveSuome
Basically my point is just please try your hardest not to be toxic with stacks. It doesn’t help anyone and it makes it much harder to win games.

I can't speak for everyone that solo Q's but I always try and work with stacks when I get queued up with them, especially because I choose to solo Q in my games. However, I do get the occasional 4 or 5-stacks that do not communicate at all. No mic? No problem, but when I'm practically spamming my ult status and get nothing from the stack, then it's pretty much up in flames from the get-go.

And then the 4 or 5-stack, that refused to group up with me or would not communicate whatsoever (mic or com wheel callouts), finally decides to hop on mic just to flame and blame me for the loss. OR they choose to spam the "Thanks!" on the com wheel. No, I'm not toxic about it, but not all stacks work well with solo Q'ers.

In short: I gotta work with what I got, but not everyone wants to and will crap on you regardless of your efforts. Not all stacks are this way, but I seem to get these type of stacks more often than naught.