In Gold, Widow's win rate is on par with Tracer/McCree

General Discussion
So why the massive toxicity for Widow, and love for the latter two? Stats just don't back up the perceptions or regard.
I'll never understand Widow hate.
I always get excited to have an attack widow on my team. Why?
Because all we need is that ONE pick. "One shot, One kill"
Now it's a 5v6 and I (being the tank) can dive/push my team up onto the point.
Widow picks are an amazing thing, and Widow players deserve the chance to try and get those early picks.

I'm a Plat rank, so when we see a pick we know to PUSH IN NOW!
But i've witnessed at lower ranks people see a pick and they don't push in, it's strange, I don't get it.
Because the Hive mind decided so...
Mostly because a lot of times the Widow does not know when to switch when they are doing bad. I dont mind Widow, but I have been burned so many times when I stick up for them playing widow and they say "yea I will switch if I am doing bad", but dont switch or they wait until there is like a minute left to switch
02/12/2018 01:56 AMPosted by Wraith
Mostly because a lot of times the Widow does not know when to switch when they are doing bad. I dont mind Widow, but I have been burned so many times when I stick up for them playing widow and they say "yea I will switch if I am doing bad", but dont switch or they wait until there is like a minute left to switch
Stats don’t back this up. It’s a myth.
because you can't shoot genji
People that play her and really pop off, and then quickly switch off once she stops working are a true asset to the team. They massively increase the winrates.

However, you might also get the potato-tier Widow that refuses to switch even after they've been killed by Winston for the tenth time. Hell, I had a GM Widow quit a competitive game after Genji deflect killed them repeatedly. These widows obviously have lower winrates.

Overall between these two she might have an average winrate, but the problem is there is no way to determine which one you get.
I hate Widow, when she is on the OTHER team.
As long as there's not a Widow in a team that already features a Hanzo, (Or the other way around) There's no reason for the team to get upset. I genuinely dont think there is anything wrong with having a single sniper.
But having too many of them means that the frontline is at a disadvantage.
As a main widow I can understand people's frustration, especially in low ranks. I have seen people with terrible stats playing widow. Widow does not contribute to the objective physically, as McCree and Tracer does. Even if your Tracer has mediocre aim, she can open you some space if she doesn't die and finish your enemies. A bad McCree may be as a bad widow, but he fires more frequently, thus he's got a better chance to contribute.

02/12/2018 01:48 AMPosted by RichC
I'm a Plat rank, so when we see a pick we know to PUSH IN NOW!
But i've witnessed at lower ranks people see a pick and they don't push in, it's strange, I don't get it.

You are right... As widow, I have been many times the one yelling "GO GO GO", because I got a pick or their Orisa is 1 shot. I have lost many games because of bad DVas and hogs who are afraid to push. However, in these cases usually I'm the one to blame because I didn't do a penta...

Widow is a high risk/high reward hero... No scatter free dmg, no zoning ulties, nothing.... She is a pure "kill or go home". Nobody likes getting risk.
02/12/2018 02:27 AMPosted by WarGoat
As long as there's not a Widow in a team that already features a Hanzo, (Or the other way around) There's no reason for the team to get upset. I genuinely dont think there is anything wrong with having a single sniper.
I get this, I don’t play her if there’s a Hanzo or McCree even, but that’s just general composition things, it works the same for those two.

So again, stats aren’t justifying the hate.
02/12/2018 01:34 AMPosted by Jessicka
So why the massive toxicity for Widow, and love for the latter two? Stats just don't back up the perceptions or regard.

Perception of usefulness I guess. Even in gold McCree and Tracer will be noticed contesting the point, confirming the odd kill, using their ultimates, etc. With Widowmaker at any rank you have to just trust that the player is contributing to the team to a certain extent (unless you are watching the kill feed like a hawk, and even that doesn't tell the whole story). Certain heroes just seem busier than others, and a lot of people instinctively equate business with effort / contribution to the team. At lower levels of play a McCree or Tracer is often as bad as a Widowmaker, yes, but because of the above it is not as automatically obvious (to the team or indeed to the player themselves) that they aren't effectively contributing.
Widow's win rates have been rising overall the last month or so.

My theory: She can ruin Moira's day. (I play Moira.)
02/12/2018 03:22 AMPosted by Slappy
Widow's win rates have been rising overall the last month or so.

My theory: She can ruin Moira's day. (I play Moira.)

Perhaps.... Moira's got a fairly large model and they usually use their fade to duel, so they get punished even by mediocre widows. Also, widow early pick potential gets more value as Mercy reverted. Furthermore, she completely denies unshielded Mercy rez.
It's not always down to the Widow being a bad player, It can also be the fault of the team.

The amount of games where I could've picked that Mercy if they had baited the Rein or Winston, or I could've helped pick off their tank if I were a little more protected, I'm not asking for pocket protection, I just asking for a little cover so I can do my job, not prove you right because I'm a "terrible Widow" and "should switch" purely because of your biased opinion on a Hero.

Widow is godlike, and she needs the help of her team.
Widowmaker vs Moira is quite a thing. Either Moira reaches Widowmaker and kills her or Widowmaker finds Moira and it's the other way around. They certainly are very lethal to each other I find.
02/12/2018 02:48 AMPosted by Jessicka
02/12/2018 02:27 AMPosted by WarGoat
I get this, I don’t play her if there’s a Hanzo or McCree even, but that’s just general composition things, it works the same for those two.

So again, stats aren’t justifying the hate.

Oh, no i'm not saying that the hate is justified.
There's nothing wrong with Widow.
I play a lot of widow but she's someone I could never play in comp. My skill with her is far too inconsistent and with comp making me nervous, it makes my standard widow, worse. I don't generally mind other widows in comp but if I haven't seen anything from them in comp for a couple minutes, it doesn't feel like they're helping. However, I don't know how well they think they're doing, so I honestly feel no need to tell them off. It could actually be a really good game for them and I would have no idea.
02/12/2018 01:34 AMPosted by Jessicka

Widow mains at least deserve to get out of the gate before being harassed
I love seeing widow on the hero select screen, I don't like seeing widow get no value 5 minutes into the game.
Yesterday I had a widow that did great on Ilios Ruins, but didn't do anything on the other two points due to map design and the enemy team changing comps. I understand he was a good widow, but he needed to switch. The widow also contributed to other issues, but that wasn't entirely due to hero choice.
I can also tell you plenty of times a widow carried me, even as a last minute swap I would have thought was a throw move if they weren't in voice chat. It really depends on the circumstances