OWL played on previous patch

Competitive Discussion
I get why independent leagues play on previous patches because teams practice for months on that patch. As they have no allegiance to the game creators and only want to display a good/fair product to the viewers.

But as the game creator/developer/distrubtor/advertiser it blows my mind they did not implement the patch to their own league but did to 30+ million other players playing competitive.

Now I agree with the changes for Mercy and Junkrat(I feel Junkrat still needs a few more tweaks).

But its legit weird to me that the very own game creators are waiting to implement the patch to their own league. To me that's self guilt... or admittance that something is very wrong with their own game. Over the past week almost 100% of games/teams are 1 junkrat 1 mercy in some form. Double res is still king for healers.. Kind of disappointed, was looking forward to seeing some maybe new match ups/new meta created with the fixes but Blizzard themselves have not put the patch on their own league. Some of these teams/players may not even be as good as advertised with the changes currently implemented
They're over halfway through Stage 1... They can't implement the patch mid-stage it wouldn't be fair.

Look for the current patch when Stage 2 begins
You could play and practice the new Mercy for weeks on the ptr?
You don't change the rules mid-season.

But the nerf HAS to be in their mind and if they lose a teamfight because of OPValk.
They're probably training a lot on the new patch, with scrims and everything.
02/03/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Tootheddirk
They're over halfway through Stage 1... They can't implement the patch mid-stage it wouldn't be fair.

Look for the current patch when Stage 2 begins

This is just not a valid excuse..

This works for independent leagues

but the actual developers of the game pulling this move ? Doesn't sit right with me.

02/03/2018 12:00 PMPosted by LooŦBox
You don't change the rules mid-season.

But the nerf HAS to be in their mind and if they lose a teamfight because of OPValk.
They're probably training a lot on the new patch, with scrims and everything.

with the matches still being decided by better mercys/junkrats how do we know those teams are actually better than the other teams with the current fixes in place? We dont know...
02/03/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Unordinary
with the matches still being decided by better mercys/junkrats how do we know those teams are actually better than the other teams with the current fixes in place? We dont know...

We don't know if they scrim on the old patch or the new one. I hope it's on the new one so we could have a nice season 2 incoming.
02/03/2018 12:04 PMPosted by LooŦBox
02/03/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Unordinary

We don't know if they scrim on the old patch or the new one. I hope it's on the new one so we could have a nice season 2 incoming.

Well good thing they implemented the fixes NOW, so why do we have to wait til season 2 to know if these teams are as good as advertised ?
Not a valid excuse?

Are you aware much of Apex was played on previous patches?

You don't change heroes or rules mid-stage, it would completely invalidate previous matches/standings.

<removed for toxicity>
02/03/2018 11:36 AMPosted by Unordinary
I get why independent leagues play on previous patches because teams practice for months on that patch. As they have no allegiance to the game creators and only want to display a good/fair product to the viewers.

But as the game creator/developer/distrubtor/advertiser it blows my mind they did not implement the patch to their own league but did to 30+ million other players playing competitive.

Now I agree with the changes for Mercy and Junkrat(I feel Junkrat still needs a few more tweaks).

But its legit weird to me that the very own game creators are waiting to implement the patch to their own league. To me that's self guilt... or admittance that something is very wrong with their own game. Over the past week almost 100% of games/teams are 1 junkrat 1 mercy in some form. Double res is still king for healers.. Kind of disappointed, was looking forward to seeing some maybe new match ups/new meta created with the fixes but Blizzard themselves have not put the patch on their own league. Some of these teams/players may not even be as good as advertised with the changes currently implemented

It's the best solution.

If they waited to give the masses a needed patch to wait for OWL, people would freak out.

If they scheduled OWL around patches, and a new bug emerged that delayed the patch, it could be delayed for a whole OWL stage, while it may only take a week to fix, which brings us back to my previous point.
It would be completely unfair to the players to change rules mid season.

You face one team with one set of rules and then another with a different one?

Not cool.
Never expected it to get implemented into league mid-stage. It'd be pretty dumb and unprofesional. Honestly expected that everybody would be stuck in Mercy meta for next 2 weeks so i'm happy it's like that now.
yea but you're missing the point. It's a league. The rules has to be the same for everyone and they cannot just patch stuff mid-season, before all sets of matches have been played.
02/03/2018 11:36 AMPosted by Unordinary
did not implement the patch to their own league but did to 30+ million other players playing competitive

You can't really compare the two, at all.
The OWL is handful of pro teams that amount to less than 0.003% of the player base and it's looking to rank games by stages. You don't shift the rules mid stage being it removes being able to equally compare early to late games.

and normal comp is a range of random players who are just playing for fun on a SR range of 500-5000. 87% of them unable to break into Diamond, 50% can't even get out of Gold. So rule changes etc don't really mater. Some random gold goes up/down 300SR due to mid season changes? So what? Only playing for fun anyways.

If one wants to find fault here it's on blizzard for the WAY too slow patching process to deal with what clearly looked like an issue almost right away. Mercy should of been patched well before the OWL started. Same for Junkrat so that's on Blizzard.
So, OWL shouldn't have to suffer changes mid-season, but for the rest of us it's totally fine to implement changes mid-season.

Makes perfect sense.
02/03/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Smurfette
So, OWL shouldn't have to suffer changes mid-season, but for the rest of us it's totally fine to implement changes mid-season.
Makes perfect sense.

Well I think we shouldn't get most of the changes or new heroes/maps during season. But it could cause break between seasons to be longer and that i wouldn't want that.
Still we usually have 2-3 weeks to test stuff out before it goes live and then at least next week before it's implemented into ranked. Most of people don't do bother anyway so it simply doesn't matter too much for mostly casual community.
Im just glad that the team is no longer forced to play mercy if the enemy team has mercy
These are professional players, there is no way they would be able to learn and change play styles in a game where you're supposed to change play styles/characters on the fly.
If you have to realize they were already playing the League on a previous patch before the Mercy nerf. To keep all fairness into the rest of the League, instead of changing midway in the League they continued with the patch the earlier games were played on. They can't just patch it and expect everyone to learn and adjust to a whole new game style (of maybe no Mercy) in a day or two when the next League games start so instead of the they kept with previous patch.