How many actual tank mains are there?

Competitive Discussion
For a long time I would fill even though I wanted to tank. After a while I noticed that people only seemed to be picking tanks because that was needed. So I started instalocking tanks... Rein, Orisa, D.Va or Winston depending on map.

I started doing this part way through S7 and for all of S8. I have been asked 3 times to swap tanks... (give someone else the tank I am on). I have never been asked to DPS or Heal so someone else could tank.

I check my teams time played at the start of every match and I see a lot of people with loads of time on tanks and yet they never ask to play tank if someone fills.

Lots of people freak out over triple DPS. It may not be optimal but its still better than a dps playing a tank they don't want to play. Below Diamond I have seen every crazy comp you can think of work. I have seen a few 5 dps + tank roll the other team. Perfect team comps are not always required.

So the question is how many people really want to play tanks? My experience says there are even less tank mains than healer mains. This is an important issue imo. If Comp is full of people playing tank because meta says they have to then its ruining the experience for a lot of people.
Tons of people main dva Zarya roadhog but main tank mains are rare

Triple DPS below diamond works just fine. Enemy DPS often can’t do damage faster than a zen orb or mercy pocket can heal anyway. But when mccree’s can land 3 headshots in a row and even a Zarya is dead before a healer can even react, that barrier becomes a lot more important.
I love playing tanks. That’s my first choice. I main Zarya/Orisa right now and I’m getting better with the other tanks but it feels more comfortable for me. The downside to tanks is unless you are road/Zarya you do kind of depend on your team so you don’t get jumped for that sweet sweet ult charge
Im still trying to figure out what im good at, I can handle my own on all roles but feel like tanks would suit me more
I'd say I'm a tank main at this point
I find myself playing Roadhog, Zarya, and Orisa a lot. With a fairly frequent but not as regular Reinhardt
Someone auto-locks D. Va almost every game I'm in. I don't see a shortage of tanks so much as I see a shortage of healers. Which wasn't bad when Moira first came out because there were enough Mercy one-tricks, and people love playing Moira. But now that Mercy has been nerfed we're back to the 1-healer meta.
D.va main here.
I'm always happy to play any tank. Wish I was as happy about clicking that competitive play button, though.
I "main" Genji but I find myself playing tanks a lot in a meta where Genji gets hard countered a lot. I am climbing the ranks with ease :)
02/13/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Recolor
Someone auto-locks D. Va almost every game I'm in. I don't see a shortage of tanks so much as I see a shortage of healers. Which wasn't bad when Moira first came out because there were enough Mercy one-tricks, and people love playing Moira. But now that Mercy has been nerfed we're back to the 1-healer meta.

Yeah. I think there are a lot of DVa mains. I have the most hours on her, but I’ve started playing other characters more now because someone does always seem to want to play DVa.
02/13/2018 05:51 AMPosted by LazyWolf
For a long time I would fill even though I wanted to tank. After a while I noticed that people only seemed to be picking tanks because that was needed. So I started instalocking tanks... Rein, Orisa, D.Va or Winston depending on map.

I started doing this part way through S7 and for all of S8. I have been asked 3 times to swap tanks... (give someone else the tank I am on). I have never been asked to DPS or Heal so someone else could tank.

I check my teams time played at the start of every match and I see a lot of people with loads of time on tanks and yet they never ask to play tank if someone fills.

Lots of people freak out over triple DPS. It may not be optimal but its still better than a dps playing a tank they don't want to play. Below Diamond I have seen every crazy comp you can think of work. I have seen a few 5 dps + tank roll the other team. Perfect team comps are not always required.

So the question is how many people really want to play tanks? My experience says there are even less tank mains than healer mains. This is an important issue imo. If Comp is full of people playing tank because meta says they have to then its ruining the experience for a lot of people.

Yes I do feel like "main" tank is the most disregards role for most people. Even when people fill as tanks, they go for Roadhog and Zarya or Roadhog and DVA. No matter how important they are; Rein, Winston and Orisa are amongst the least pick hero from my experience.

I think it is a feeling of being helpless with some of them. Reinhart is a lot about having your shield up. And when you are noob at it, you pretty much die everytime you want to do something else.

I'm the most terrible Reinhart of the West!

I feel frustrated as !@#$ waiting pressing M2 (especially when people do not even use the shield). And everytime I try to be aggressive I pretty much die. I miss pin, ult into shield get impatient, swing and die.... Terrible!
I think I do not like the team to not adapt to the pace I try to have as a main tank. When I play Rein I want to get in! Like the S key just disappear of the keyboard. So if people are not "falling in line " behind you and move forward as a unit everybody dies.
now don't hate me for saying this but its my own personal experience. i play low-mid diamond on xbox mainly and what i see is that most people aren't playing dps
and i myself am a tank main but if we dont have enough dps i can fill. it suprised me at first when at about the start of season 7 it started happening. now i rarely find many dps mains when i play. though on pc its a completely different story.
I'm a semi-tank main. I have resolved myself to just being a tank or support fill since those are usually one of the last two positions to be filled for the 2-2-2 meta.
Roadhog main personally, but I love playing Reinhardt as well, Orisa too. Not much of a Winston fan and My Zarya game is meh. (I know my hours only suggest Roadhog and Reinhardt but I’ve been trying to play a bit more DPS this season.)
I love playing Rein and Orisa. I very rarely have any competition in selecting them. I’m learning to never select Rein by negative reinforcement, though.
I would see my self as flex but flexing Tank first . My main tank is Winston but I can Rein, Orisa and Zarya I dislike the new dva though.
I main dva on my side account cuz she's the most fun for me. I play orisa out of necessity when no one goes main tank (tho honestly I find orisa so mind numbingly boring) rein can be fun woth a good team. But dva is my go too on my side.
I love playing the shield tanks so I'm happy to bust out Orisa, Rein, or Winston. If I'm playing support I'll usually see someone take DVA if there's no other tank, but it seems to be a coin toss on if they're a shielding DVA or a dps DVA.

I'm working to get better with Zarya and Hog since I occasionally play with another Rein main and other friend gets in moods where she swaps from a dps mood to tank and wants to play Orisa.
I prefer tank in whatever game I play. Winston/D.va and Orisa/Rein depending on the situation for me. My winrate with tanks are my highest. I feel as if my game sense with tanks are far ahead of that of my other roles. I just find it personally more satisfying as a tank to: A. Succssfully preform my role
B. Post good stats/secure a W.