GG seems toxic...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
02/06/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Mitrovarr
Only say gg if it was actually a good game. If you steamrollered, yeah, it's condescending.

Exactly. Why are people trying to make a new meaning? It's not some unwritten sportsmanship rule. Yes, it's used as such, IN CERTAIN INSTANCES - like tournaments, where people take care to select teams that have a chance against another team.

But in a setting, like QP, saying GG after you absolutely trash someone with zero challenge, where is the good game in that? Nowhere. You just got screwed over by a shoddy algorithm.

My vote goes to toxic. Still I'm no snowflake, so I don't care if people say it or not.
LazyWolf seems toxic.

Yea, pretty arbitrary.
The people who say ez are toxic and should be reported as such.
I trash people on Zen all day long and I say gg after every game cause I feel bad because I don't belong at gold and it's obvious
I usually say "gg" if I had a really good match, win or lose. (i.e. had some great exchanges on control, maybe some good defense/pushes on payloads, etc.)

Saying "ez" is toxic.

"Getting Stomped" depends.....sometimes I'll point out when the losing team should respect their best team member (i.e. a Widowmaker who tried their best to carry their team because they were dead on annihilating our supports, or their healer who had some clutch saves, etc.) and still say "gg" with acknowledgement.
A sensible snowflake who thinks "GG" is toxic... And yet you play a game that involves shooting/hitting other video game characters. Holy !@#$ you guys need to grow a pair.
95% of the time, only people on the winning team says GG. GG is more of a "Our team played good" then anything to do with sportsmanship. I hate someone saying GG before the game is over the most.

I never say GG. I will say "fun game" or "close game" instead
02/06/2018 07:00 PMPosted by LazyWolf
More often then not I see this on match chat when one team gets totally stomped. It seems really condescending.

The other one is ez. Not sure if it is something that can be reported but when I see someone on my team say it I would say its the most tilting thing I have run into.

I WONDER HOW MANY UNWARRANTED REPORTS THIS GUY HAS ISSUED... OMG
It's only toxic if the winning team uses it after stomping the losing team or combine it with some variation of "ez". Outside of that it's the equivalent of a post-game handshake.
Ez and any variations can be slightly infuriating, especially when it was a half hour overtime, but why tf do people hate "gg"?! I don't know about you, but I can't hear sarcasm through text, so there's no reason to assume people mean it that way

It just annoys me when people hear something that's very existence is to be respectful, and they form some internal paranoid conspiracy that it's being used ironically and as a personal attack at them
Only to overly sensitive folks. I was raised to always go shake hands and say good game at the end of the match, and I always say gg all at the end of every Overwatch Match too. If you get offended by it, it's because you're tilted and salty, which is not my fault.
If you grew up playing team sports, then you always shook the other teams hand afterwards. No two ways about it... whether you slaughtered them, they slaughtered you, or it if it was a close game... didn't matter, you shook hands.

It reinforces the "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play" adage that is so, so important.

If I'm playing with someone that is a sore loser and simply cant, for whatever reason, lose without either blaming our team or the opponents team, then I usually end up taking a group poll and that person gets booted.

Toxicity easily bleeds from one team mate over to the next. It can be all well and good at first thinking "wow we have this edgy team mate that says whatever they want" while the rest of the team just sits around and says nothing.... but the longer that goes on.... the more on edge the rest of the team becomes. You don't need that kinda behavior, ever. The sooner you stamp it out, the sooner the experience improves for everyone else.

Be the change you wish to see. Want less toxicity? First fix your toxic behaviors, ALL OF THEM, and then and only then, can you go about trying to fix other peoples' toxic behavior.
02/06/2018 07:20 PMPosted by Thrillho
I type exactly twice in every match. In the beginning I type 'glhf' and in the end I type 'gg'. Nothing malicious is intended with either of these.

I love playing with people like you! I really enjoy the positive attitude.
02/07/2018 10:07 AMPosted by HiddenPants
02/06/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Mitrovarr
Only say gg if it was actually a good game. If you steamrollered, yeah, it's condescending.

Exactly. Why are people trying to make a new meaning? It's not some unwritten sportsmanship rule. Yes, it's used as such, IN CERTAIN INSTANCES - like tournaments, where people take care to select teams that have a chance against another team.

But in a setting, like QP, saying GG after you absolutely trash someone with zero challenge, where is the good game in that? Nowhere. You just got screwed over by a shoddy algorithm.

My vote goes to toxic. Still I'm no snowflake, so I don't care if people say it or not.

Of course it's toxic. People who claim to say it regardless of the outcome are simply lying.
I have met TONS of people that only type gg after they steamrolled the enemy team(or won overall). And when you ask them why they do that, you just get the responses:
"omg so sensitive"
"lul ur just mad bro"
Yeah, it's totally not legit anymore asking normal questions, but when someone's trying rub a win under my nose it's something completely normal.

This community is the most toxic beside LoL and Dota 2.
Sadly the phrase GG has been reshaped into GGEZ. It doesn't mean the same thing it meant years ago. More often then not the winners would offer this but when asked why they respond with a truely toxic reply. Meaning they never actually meant GG for what it stands for merely leaving the EZ out.

I prefer to apogize after a stomp or to get an apology. After all it takes 6 oter players to suffer in that game despite any effort they put into winning the match only to get soething they may not welvomed themselves.

Nowadays players shove GG into a loser's face without ever actually thinking of how bad of a time they had while being spawned camped or never really touching the point at all.

So if it never really was a match to begin with why are we saying GG?

Best to allow the losers to offer it first and see if they enjoyed the game or we risk actually truggering them when people don't see it as a good game but a bad one in their minds.

Fyi GG isn't meant to be shoved into a players face. If you really have good intentions best let it be and not say anything offensive or potentially offensive at all.
I mean I say GG after every game, it is just good sportmanship, I dont get why people get so butthurt about it
02/07/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Ornery
If you grew up playing team sports, then you always shook the other teams hand afterwards. No two ways about it... whether you slaughtered them, they slaughtered you, or it if it was a close game... didn't matter, you shook hands.

It reinforces the "it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play" adage that is so, so important.

If I'm playing with someone that is a sore loser and simply cant, for whatever reason, lose without either blaming our team or the opponents team, then I usually end up taking a group poll and that person gets booted.

Toxicity easily bleeds from one team mate over to the next. It can be all well and good at first thinking "wow we have this edgy team mate that says whatever they want" while the rest of the team just sits around and says nothing.... but the longer that goes on.... the more on edge the rest of the team becomes. You don't need that kinda behavior, ever. The sooner you stamp it out, the sooner the experience improves for everyone else.

Be the change you wish to see. Want less toxicity? First fix your toxic behaviors, ALL OF THEM, and then and only then, can you go about trying to fix other peoples' toxic behavior.

And if you grew up playing online games, like this one, you always said gg if it was a good game and bg if it was a bad game. Because you don't need chivalry rules in something so casual as a random online game, and it's much more honest and telling to share if you think the game was ACTUALLY good or bad, instead of a meaningless gesture.
It's a gesture of respect. Even if you get stomped, it doesn't necessarily mean you played badly. It could have been you got like 6 healer mains or something. Or they just clicked better as a team. I GG after 99% of games because they tried and didn't act like cocks.
02/07/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Garresh
It's a gesture of respect. Even if you get stomped, it doesn't necessarily mean you played badly. It could have been you got like 6 healer mains or something. Or they just clicked better as a team. I GG after 99% of games because they tried and didn't act like cocks.

That's the thing. It takes one leaver one griefer or otherwise "Its QP scrub" player to ruin it for five others.
How old are you?
gg has been around for decades and is usually well-meant. Any player can turn it toxic, but I'm sure almost all gamers as old as myself or older are using as good sportsmanship.