Syms niche is getting increasingly smaller with every patch

General Discussion
Highly Rated
It's true, her niche was already super small but every single patch make sure it even smaller

New hero changes and new maps screw over sym and here's how

Sym thrives on choke points, yet almost all the new maps don't have a very strong choke or they enable hero comps that overshadow sym

The addition of Oasis brought another map into the rotation that sym was very bad in, so her niche got smaller, horizon lunar colony enables torb, so you always would rather have a torb over a sym and there are no chokeberries pints in it and no good placements for her ults and the point is very visible on the outside exposing her turrets

This made her niche even smaller, blizzard world has very weak choke points, it makes her niche even smaller

Then the hero changes, all of syms counters have received a buff within the last year, crushing her, and now of course the doomfist and sombra buffs will kill her even more

Her counters have all gotten better and the maps have all made her worse

She needs more then a small buff
True, she definitely needs more than “a minor buff.”
I dunno, lately I've been seeing a -host- of angry as hell, vengeful attack symmetras that are laying waste to people unprepared to deal with her. Once Sombra gets her new toys, I think Sombra and Sym are going to be the unexpected power couple, similar to pharmercy.

Hacked enemies can't flee the wrath of the goddess.
Did Sym even have a chance to be good on Oasis? She's never really been a good pick on control maps to begin with so I wouldn't expect her to be good on any control map
Oh yes.. lets give the crazy damage no skill needing auto locking and tracking character MORE ways to screw over other players.. while we are at it ... ad a multi grenade launcher to junkrat.
02/09/2018 03:30 PMPosted by AtrumRosa
I think Sombra and Sym are going to be the unexpected power couple, similar to pharmercy.

I would be so happy, especially because their voice actresses tend to make hilarious videos together.

That said, I agree Symmetra needs more than just a minor buff.
02/09/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Wazam
Oh yes.. lets give the crazy damage no skill needing auto locking and tracking character MORE ways to screw over other players.. while we are at it ... ad a multi grenade launcher to junkrat.
What to mean more ways

She doesn't have any ways to screw over anyone

And also skill isn't the only important thing to overwatch.

Accept this or stop playing
02/09/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Wazam

Git gud.

I can kill her as Ana.
I always thought Lunar colony was a brilliant map for her actually.
02/09/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Jake
I always thought Lunar colony was a brilliant map for her actually.
On the surface it seems so but really it has no good choke points an no where to put her ults

It's her worst 2 cp map shd isn't good enough on that map to be picked over torb
02/09/2018 03:20 PMPosted by DrFate
It's true, her niche was already super small but every single patch make sure it even smaller

Sym thrives on choke points, yet almost all the new maps don't have a very strong choke or they enable hero comps that overshadow sym

The addition of Oasis brought another map into the rotation that sym was very bad in, so her niche got smaller, horizon lunar colony enables torb, so you always would rather have a torb over a sym and there are no chokeberries pints in it and no good placements for her ults and the point is very visible on the outside exposing her turrets

This made her niche even smaller, blizzard world has very weak choke points, it makes her niche even smaller

Then the hero changes, all of syms counters have received a buff within the last year, crushing her, and now of course the doomfist and sombra buffs will kill her even more

What would you think of a rework? I know she had one in the past but I outlined a couple ideas to give her more of a supportive kit:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761697095
02/09/2018 04:30 PMPosted by irwez
02/09/2018 03:20 PMPosted by DrFate

What would you think of a rework? I know she had one in the past but I outlined a couple ideas to give her more of a supportive kit:

I like the idea of a supportive sym but I think that change should her way too much
02/09/2018 03:30 PMPosted by AtrumRosa
Hacked enemies can't flee the wrath of the goddess.

Jeff at OWTeam HQ:"I want that made into a plaque pronto!"
Sym is awsome at horizon!
Sym is NOT like Torbjörn so "choosing between them" for me is like choosing between roadhog and soldier. Sure, you could say some of their abilities have similar traits. But they are still very different from eachother.
Also; there are many ways to play sym. Even many ways you can use her turrets! So, my comment to ppl thinking there are sym hostile non control point maps; "such lack of imagination".
/sym main who find both horizon and blizz world to be awsome sym maps
Without a pretty big rework, I'm okay with this. Her playstyle is horrible, both playing as her and playing against her. If she were simply buffed, she'd become a fun vacuum.
02/09/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Brand
Without a pretty big rework, I'm okay with this. Her playstyle is horrible, both playing as her and playing against her. If she were simply buffed, she'd become a fun vacuum.
You know who else is unfun

Genji tracer road

Enough said
i find it funny how ppl said symm is gonna be great on horizon.

"so many small corners and places to place tp" lmao

it seems that the maps are fav widowmaker more and more.
She always going to be a niche/situational pick but right now she really isn't working in those situations any more, she could use some small buffs but they have to careful with how they balance her.
I feel like sym was just not a well thought out design as a character. She needs a large overhaul so large I feel she would not deserve the name Sym with all the changes needed to make her viable.
02/09/2018 04:32 PMPosted by DrFate
02/09/2018 04:30 PMPosted by irwez

I like the idea of a supportive sym but I think that change should her way too much

It would radically change her but think of how 2CP would change... a true 2-2-2 support on attack with symetra would be possible. Think point 2 where there is a huge spawn advantage... the tele can be used as a viable strat since people WANT a sym because she actually "heals" and supports instead of being a DPS. Now the spawn advantage is reduced greatly due to a tele. Anything to make her more supportive would reintroduce her into the meta and not be an immediate sigh from the team.