Symmetra 'buff' while doing very little

General Discussion
What if her turrets were bigger and had a little more health, but you could stand on them?

You could build little staircases on walls for vertically restricted allies to climb up and increase her viability to enable and 'support' other heroes.

Making them faster to place would also make this a very skillful thing to do between fights.
I don't like the big turrets idea but I agree the delay while placing should go.
Staircase sounds interesting. I was thinking something like a bridge would be nice.
I like the idea of having that shield she shoots act as a teleporter, so if you get hit by it you end up swapping places with Symmetra.
02/11/2018 02:58 PMPosted by par1ty
I like the idea of having that shield she shoots act as a teleporter, so if you get hit by it you end up swapping places with Symmetra.

that sounds like it would just be free kills for both teams lmao, also means Sym can't use it care-free.
And waste your time building a little staircase? No, what Symm needs is more consistent turrets so she won’t have to wait 1/4 of a match in order to gain all of them back (I’m taking about attack here). What you’re suggesting is too slow for a fast paced game like Overwatch.
02/11/2018 03:00 PMPosted by OnlySymmetra
And waste your time building a little staircase? No, what Symm needs is more consistent turrets so she won’t have to wait 1/4 of a match in order to gain all of them back (I’m taking about attack here). What you’re suggesting is too slow for a fast paced game like Overwatch.

Yeah why not add these changes too, thats why I said make the placing faster

Sym is useless at the moment because she is easy to clear out and counter, she needs another way to help the heroes on her team that cover her weaknesses.
02/11/2018 03:05 PMPosted by Toxicinator
02/11/2018 03:00 PMPosted by OnlySymmetra

Yeah why not add these changes too, thats why I said make the placing faster

Sym is useless at the moment because she is easy to clear out and counter, she needs another way to help the heroes on her team that cover her weaknesses.
Symm herself is not weak, it’s her turrets. But because 50% of her kit are her turrets, she’s at the place she is right now.
02/11/2018 03:11 PMPosted by OnlySymmetra
Symm herself is not weak, it’s her turrets. But because 50% of her kit are her turrets, she’s at the place she is right now.

That is why I suggested buffing them and making them more useful.
It would be an exercise in futility.
The thing is, it takes a little more then 1 second to place a turret.

So you would be taking 4 - 5 seconds to create a stairway, that stairway which can be destroyed in a second.

After all "a little" more health is pointless as most heroes do 100+ damage in a second and the turrets currently only have 1 hp.

So you would need drastically more health for her turrets.
Even then it just isn't worth it.
02/11/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Shadow

The thing is, it takes a little more then 1 second to place a turret.

So you would be taking 4 - 5 seconds to create a stairway, that stairway which can be destroyed in a second.

This is why I said make placing them faster

You wouldn't be making staircases mid-fight all the time, maybe to get a defense going in a strange spot like the professionals did with Mei+Orisa on Temple of Anubis. You could do that in more interesting spots on the fly.

also enable more Shield gen/TP spots.
That would be really awkward. If Symmetra is to get a new ability, she could change weapons (really her weapon would be the same but it would "change modes") and then her primary fire and alternate fire would be used for building things instead of attacking.
She is an architect, so I imagine she should be able to build more than turrets and teleports.
02/11/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Kwannon
That would be really awkward. If Symmetra is to get a new ability, she could change weapons (really her weapon would be the same but it would "change modes") and then her primary fire and alternate fire would be used for building things instead of attacking.

This is a very good idea, jeph pls
this is not a little buff

but i want it
It’s interesting but it also forces you to possibly place the sentries in places where they couldn’t perform their function as turrets. Seems like it would be better to give her a “hard light staircase” ability all on its own.
One of the biggest issues with Sym ever being viable is the fact that 1 Moira orb can take out all your turrets without anyone ever having sight of them.

The amount of setup and cooldown time and value of symetra being wiped out so easily by a hero that is going to already have a very high pick rate was a huge nerf to a hero that was already not viable.
I play a lot of Symmetra and I think there could be a lot of small quality of life changes they could implement into her kit to make her more helpful to her team and to the people using her.
1. Extend the range she can place her turrets a bit, not a crazy amount but just so you don't look like a crazy person trying to jump and get them in some hard to get spots.
2. On the topic of turrets, give them a bit of health, her telly and shield gen both have health why can't her turrets? I'm not saying a whole lot of health maybe just 75 with 50 being shields and 25 being health. That's no more than an armor pack gives people and most characters will still be able to one shot them.
3. Make her turrets and her Teleporter/Sheild gen, visible on the map, it's so annoying trying to describe mid-fight the awkward spot you put your ultimate down in. Plus then people might be more inclined to protect it. And on the note of having her turrets more visible it would give flankers a safe exit route back to your team.
4. And finally the easiest little change they could make is to add a percentage bar to her gun to show you when it's fully charged.

I don't know just some small quality of life changes that might make her more helpful to her team and the player brave enough to endure the ridicule.
02/11/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Ahab
One of the biggest issues with Sym ever being viable is the fact that 1 Moira orb can take out all your turrets without anyone ever having sight of them.

The amount of setup and cooldown time and value of symetra being wiped out so easily by a hero that is going to already have a very high pick rate was a huge nerf to a hero that was already not viable.

This doesn't happen anymore. Or atleast it shouldn't...