"D.va was never a StarCraft pro": the retcon we missed

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
Highly Rated
https://twitter.com/westofhouse/status/958493918756155392

"It's a common misconception, but D.Va wasn't a StarCraft pro before joining MEKA."(c) Michael Chu, lead writer

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this tweet. D.va was presented as a StarCraft champion - she had her own fake player profile on the official site (now removed). But after checking out her bio on playoverwatch.com I noticed that all mentions of StarCraft were indeed retconned. This is really odd, as D.va was described as StarCraft pro by the lead concept artist himself (Blizzcon 2015).

https://youtu.be/OypMqQIbeGE?t=1284

She was later advertised as a fictional StarCraft pro in Heroes of the Storm.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20325209/

She has multiple interactions with heroes from the StarCraft Universe in HotS and has a (removed? never heard it in game) quote about playing StarCraft with her dad.

https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/overwatch_gamepedia/1/15/D.va_-_Couldnt_beat_dad_in_starcraft.ogg

With so much evidence, this is really unsurprising that this "common misconception" rooted deeply in the fandom. I am actually not against minor retcons in a setting so young and undeveloped as Overwatch. But this change is so oddly specific, that I just don't see any reason for such a retcon. It doesn't conflict with any paradigm, like the canceled visual novel did. It doesn't give more depth to heroes' motivations, like new details of Morrison/Reyes relationship recently given by Jeff Kaplan. It is also a piece of common knowledge about a hero (D.va is known even outside the Overwatch fandom as a "korean StarCraft girl pro"), so they couldn't just retcon it with a straight face and think that nobody would notice.

So, what happened?
Highly Rated
Further proof that "Dva" and "Hana Song" are two separate people
Highly Rated
From the panel, it seemed that Starcraft was more of an example of what kind of games that she was a "pro gamer" for, not specifically that she was a Starcraft pro. Kaplan even said jokingly that it was "starcraft 6", but not an actual game.

My guess is that they are changing the little lore she has and are trying to disassociate D.va with Starcraft probably because:

1) New lore is on the way for D.va, a character that has the least amount of lore/story development in the game.
2) D.va being associated with Starcraft is too meta, especially with the addition of the Blizzard World map.
Highly Rated
What even the point of retconning? It's not like lore is growing and it actually needs it.
I'm assuming that a D.Va comic or animated short are in the works and that's what happened (or rather is currently happening) and they opted to not go with this background for her.

That said she's still a former pro gamer which is good given that I liked that background for her.
Highly Rated
There were masses of official information stating that she was in fact a pro Starcraft player, and people have even saved the various pages where this appeared.

There's no "misconception" about that whatsoever; there is a pretty audacious (and by now, entirely expected) degree of BS from Blizzard regarding this, however.

For example, from Blizzard themselves in 2016:

Although D.Va is known most recently for her activities within the Overwatch organization, her journey began in the StarCraft esports scene, where she became the #1 ranked player in the world at the age of 16.

That's pretty straightforward.
01/31/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Fatfatty
2) D.va being associated with Starcraft is too meta, especially with the addition of the Blizzard World map.
But that makes no sense. Plenty of people are huge Disney fans, and Disneyland exists. Dva's lore involving Starcraft should further justify Blizzardland's existence, instead of something the devs try to avoid associating her with.
Kind of an odd retcon, hopefully that means she is getting lore soon
The lies, the betrayal :'(.

Well outside of that; maybe they are close to realise something about D.va's lore. That would mean that they have something more polished and that's why the retcon.
wierd
We need Michael Chu here with explanations :/
Maybe they decided to change D.va's lore for a bit?
I- i dont really think its a retcon? I mean, she was advertised as both an Starcraft player AND a meka pilot, but it was never explained what happened first. It's pretty obvious they're separating the person (Hana) to the pro gamer/actress (D.va).
Like how his first answer wasn't "D.Va was never in Overwatch".
It's pretty obvious they're separating the person (Hana) to the pro gamer/actress (D.va).

"...D.Va wasn't a StarCraft pro..."
D.va cinematic incoming?
I clearly remember reading that she was a Starcraft pro on their official medias and infos. Even mentioned it at previous year Blizzcon, what the f*** ?
Here it comes, the great OW retconning.

Widowmaker never killed her husband, it was just a misconception

Hanzo almost killing his brother, Genji? Nah.
02/01/2018 12:17 AMPosted by Yuuji
Here it comes, the great OW retconning.

Widowmaker never killed her husband, it was just a misconception

Hanzo almost killing his brother, Genji? Nah.

Tracer was never a lesbian, he actually was a dude all that time