"D.va was never a StarCraft pro": the retcon we missed

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
This still doesnt explain the score not going up in her sit emote >_>

I'll find the truth one day
02/01/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Froilen
now that you are here...

can you explain why in the sombra animation there are omnics in the "los muertos2 gang but in the soldier animation the same gang is kicking some omnic?

do los muertos hate omnics or why is that?

Sure! Los Muertos doesn't organizationally hate omnics (like, it's not in their mission statement), but that doesn't mean a member of Los Muertos (or a bunch of them) couldn't beat one up or dislike them for any number of reasons.
02/01/2018 03:30 AMPosted by Vepien
h-hi sir michael ouo

*Holds Vepien up and screams,* "WITNESS THEM!"

Forgive me. It's early and I haven't had coffee yet.
so totally neutral then... cool.
They gave up on SC long ago, so I'm not surprised they'd deny even something minor like that.
Highly Rated
02/01/2018 03:27 AMPosted by Michael Chu
Ultimately, I totally recognize that with the way we initially teased D.Va and since we didn't specifically say otherwise in her official backstory, the distinction was pretty unclear.

It has less to do with the way she was "teased", and more to do with the way multiple official Blizzard sources quite clearly stated that her first claim to fame was being recognised as the #1 ranked player in the Starcraft esports scene at the age of 16, well after Overwatch had been released.

If that wasn't the case, then nobody at Blizzard should have been putting that particular character background forward in an official capacity.
Maybe they were listening to people complaining how can a starcraft pro with high apm pilot a highly complex mechanical suit where apm is only one of the many skills that they needed to possess. This recton shows that she is not only good at starcraft with high apm but possibly go-cart racing, lightgun shooting, and how-to-fly-a-rocket simulator.

And if that's the case, it will make sense design and lore wise that other pilots will have other meka units that are custom-made to their forte. So maybe the next hero will be another meka pilot but not necessary a tank? Just speculating.
D.Va lore when?

:^)
I'm still just wondering why Torb has a Deadlock skin and McCree doesn't.

Was Torb part of the Deadlock gang once or something? What's up with this?
02/01/2018 03:40 AMPosted by Michael Chu
02/01/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Froilen
now that you are here...

can you explain why in the sombra animation there are omnics in the "los muertos2 gang but in the soldier animation the same gang is kicking some omnic?

do los muertos hate omnics or why is that?

Sure! Los Muertos doesn't organizationally hate omnics (like, it's not in their mission statement), but that doesn't mean a member of Los Muertos (or a bunch of them) couldn't beat one up or dislike them for any number of reasons.

Sure, some of them can hate a specific omnic. But the problem is that in the Sombra origin story takes place a few years after the omnic crisis. People would have more problems with omnic at that time, compared to the present day of the Soldier animated short. It feels disconected.
But the (now removed) StarCraft profile clearly said that exact words:

At the age of 16, D.Va became the #1 ranked player in the world and proceeded to go undefeated for the next three years in all competitions. D.Va is an international star, beloved by her fans at home and abroad, and has toured in exhibitions around the world. Recently, she has taken a step back from competition to focus on her commitment to protect the safety of her homeland.

There's an archived version.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151113142858/http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/players/dva

So... is this a retcon or what? Doesn't feel like a "not properly clarified", it seems it was clear enough ._.

I'm confused lol
By the gods, a blue post
Hi Mr Micheal
Bonus fact: StarCraft is one of D.Va's father's favorite games!
What a strange detail to drop in there...
02/01/2018 03:52 AMPosted by AngeryOnly
So... is this a retcon or what? Doesn't feel like a "not properly clarified", it seems it was clear enough ._.

Based on what he's been saying, I'm pretty sure Michael is completely unfamiliar with everything written by Blizzard regarding D.Va since the "teaser" he was talking about, which is why he's confused over what it is we're actually talking about.

At no point was D.Va ever said to only be a "pro gamer" in general; her status as the #1 Starcraft esports player in the world was cemented in various official Blizzard sources all the way back to 2016, including right after Overwatch came out.

Most of those entries were recently erased, hence the talk of retcons, but they most certainly existed, and have been archived. It's not a major issue, given that being a Starcraft pro doesn't really govern her character, but it's a weird thing to so adamantly pretend never existed, when we can clearly see it did.
Thanks for clearing up her backstory a little. I like it.
02/01/2018 04:05 AMPosted by Rednaxela31
Bonus fact: StarCraft is one of D.Va's father's favorite games!
What a strange detail to drop in there...

Well, I do believe one of D.Vas rare pre-game voice lines is her talking about how she can't beat her father at Starcraft.

And with rare, I mean I heard it twice in 1020ish hours of playtime.
Misconception probably wasn't the right way to describe it, more like something that we haven't clarified properly. I think the best I can do here is give the backstory (har har) on how we got here:

Going back to when we announced D.Va as a hero, we had been experimenting with using different methods of teasing new characters. We thought it'd be fun to use the StarCraft WCS site and slip D.Va in as she had a background as a pro gamer (this all happened before she was officially announced). At the time, I actually worried that it would be taken as canon, but I was hoping elements like the fact her preferred race was listed as "random" and the fact she couldn't have competed in the current series would help defray that. In hindsight, yeah... pretty confusing.

D.Va is absolutely a world champion professional gamer which was what got her recruited into MEKA in the first place. However her best game wasn't StarCraft (which was what I was attempting to clarify). We imagined that she was most known and specialized in a game with a skillset that was closer mapped to the skills that she (and the other MEKA pilots) utilized while piloting their mechs.

That said, D.Va has definitely played more than her fair share of StarCraft (as she references in some of her lines in Overwatch) and a slew of other games. Bonus fact: StarCraft is one of D.Va's father's favorite games! And he was pretty good at it.

Ultimately, I totally recognize that with the way we initially teased D.Va and since we didn't specifically say otherwise in her official backstory, the distinction was pretty unclear.

Does this mean daddy dva confirmed ?
Thanks.)
Hey Michael, if you're still around can you finally clarify whether "Olivia Colomar" is Sombra's real name, or someone else important/connected to Sombra?
Her joystick controls and fire mechanics reminds me of the old arcade game Virtual On, Chu.

Link: https://youtu.be/3Y4Tm-jydVk

It’s funny, the guy saying that we’ve never seen one. Pfft. I played one as a kid growing up. It’s how I remember it.