"D.va was never a StarCraft pro": the retcon we missed

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 15 Next
02/01/2018 10:28 AMPosted by TankHunter

It is no different from the airforce testing people on how well they can track gauges and preferring gamers who are proven to be better at tracking multiple things accurately. Not to mention having better hand-eye coordination.

02/01/2018 10:28 AMPosted by TankHunter
02/01/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Halofreak90
And nobody ever wondered how a StarCraft player is somehow proficient with Joysticks? I mean, come on. I always thought that seemed a little fishy. Guess I was right.

Except she would have received piloting training for the meka even if she was a virtual on pro. Which is a mech combat game that does use joysticks.

The point was the skillset that could be applied overall. Specifically the hand-eye coordination and tactical/strategic assessment skills. Something she would be very familiar with and have. The rest she would pick up in training.

It is no different from the airforce testing people on how well they can track gauges and preferring gamers who are proven to be better at tracking multiple things accurately. Not to mention having better hand-eye coordination.

Presumably, the whole idea came from the movie The Last Starfighter, where a guy's skills at a specially designed simulator disguised as an arcade game gets him drafted as a gunner in an intergalactic war.

Further, there were some news stories circulating a while back about "gamers being sought by the USAF to pilot attack drones". This was a bit of public relations fluff that was spun from the truth; which was that instructors noted that drone trainees with gaming backgrounds took to drone controls faster than those applicants without such experience. Well, no duh.
02/01/2018 09:58 AMPosted by Luciros
So, going with what Jeff said about Hero 27 being a meta-changer and being a character they've teased at before and will be unexpected, the addition of a mecha-suit in Moira's origin video, D. Va's nerf into a crappy not-tank not-dps, Chu's complete retcon of Hana playing StarCraft, and Hana's comment about her father, the next character will be Hana's father as a Talon-allied Tank using the mechsuit from Moira's video.
They did talk about making and exploring another hero “like” D.Va, that is more of a tank, so anything is possible. And that was said mid last year I believe if not sometime in 2016.
02/01/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Dreadnought
02/01/2018 09:58 AMPosted by Luciros
So, going with what Jeff said about Hero 27 being a meta-changer and being a character they've teased at before and will be unexpected, the addition of a mecha-suit in Moira's origin video, D. Va's nerf into a crappy not-tank not-dps, Chu's complete retcon of Hana playing StarCraft, and Hana's comment about her father, the next character will be Hana's father as a Talon-allied Tank using the mechsuit from Moira's video.
They did talk about making and exploring another hero “like” D.Va, that is more of a tank, so anything is possible. And that was said mid last year I believe if not sometime in 2016.
That was Geoff saying he wants to make his own mecha pilot character who does everything D. Va was originally meant to do because he hates D. Va and is who changed her from a Tank into a third-rate DPS.
Also I'm gonna say it: they're making this into some Berenstein universe where we all could have SWORN everything said that D.Va was a pro SC player but now it's all gone. Lol
No but really, Blizz. Get rid of the gremlin memetic garbage and give her a serious animates short (and also a Busan map with the spooky giant omnic lurking in the bg)
Thanks!
02/01/2018 09:17 AMPosted by yGray
Please make it canon that she was a pro at Starcraft Ghost

It would probably be even better if she was a pro at Starcraft Goliath
02/01/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Endlave
Widow didn't kill her husband. Her husband killed her and adopted her identity to Infiltrate Talon?

LMAO
There is no misconception.
Dva was (is) a pro StarCraft player

Either they are changing her lore (retcon) or this is a Mandela Effect.
02/01/2018 11:11 AMPosted by ShivanDragon
There is no misconception.
Dva was (is) a pro StarCraft player

Either they are changing her lore (retcon) or this is a Mandela Effect.

The later is fake.
02/01/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Halofreak90
And nobody ever wondered how a StarCraft player is somehow proficient with Joysticks? I mean, come on. I always thought that seemed a little fishy. Guess I was right.

Where'd you learn to shoot like that?

8bit Hero!

It's not that far off given her responses to others that she knows how to use joysticks. Hell I'm a lore hound and they really need a red shirt guy for Overwatch lore because retconning this is the stupidest thing. The lore we do have is she was recruited because of the fact that she was a Pro Player in the first place. Thank god the wiki didn't get updated:

Hana Song was once a pro-gamer. She became a professional StarCraft player, who participated in the WCS Korea Code S League. At the age of 16, Song became the #1 ranked player in the world and proceeded to go undefeated for the next three years in all competitions. She became an international star, beloved by her fans at home and abroad, and toured in exhibitions around the world, representing South Korea. A fierce competitor, Song played to win at any cost, and gained a well-earned reputation for showing no mercy to her opponents.

At home, however, not all was well, as MEKA struggled to maintain its defense against the omnic that repeatedly attacked the nation. As the omnic continued to adapt, it eventually disrupted MEKA's drone-control networks, forcing the military to place pilots in the mechs. Scrambling to find suitable candidates, the government turned to the country's professional gamers, who possessed the necessary reflexes and instincts to operate the mechs' advanced weapons systems. Top stars were drafted, including Song, who was now 19. She saw the new mission as a game, and an evolution of her own career. Without fear or hesitation, she abandoned the limelight of her pro-gamer career, and got an armored mech operator's licence. As a member of MEKA, she could put her reflexes to the ultimate test on a real battlefield, instead of a digital one. Her skills and intense competitive spirit made her an extremely effective pilot.[4]

Song now fearlessly charges into battle alongside the rest of her MEKA unit, ready to spring to her nation's defense at a moment's notice. Recently, she has begun to stream combat operations to her adoring fans, and her growing following has turned her into a global icon. Sponsorship deals and her fanbase provided her with the means to customize her mech.

At some point she also played one of the leading roles in the movie Hero of My Storm.
Don't apologize, Michael. If you do they will see it as weakness and it will not be enough and they will NEVER let you live it down and you will never be able to rectify the situation in their eyes.

I understand what your intended idea was, it was just flavoring to the hero, something to be fun. But they took it WAY too serious and relegated it to the 11th commandment.
New game launched by Blizzard?

If she was an incredibly good gamer, and it wasn't Starcraft she was known for, was it perhaps another new IP Blizzard is hoping to launch?

It sure as hell wasn't Call of Duty or League of Legends.
02/01/2018 11:33 AMPosted by LvL9Drow
Don't apologize, Michael. If you do they will see it as weakness and it will not be enough and they will NEVER let you live it down and you will never be able to rectify the situation in their eyes.

I understand what your intended idea was, it was just flavoring to the hero, something to be fun. But they took it WAY too serious and relegated it to the 11th commandment.
He's not going to sleep with you, and he's not infalliable. Also remember that this info has been official and her backstory since before the game launched, taking nearly two years to suddenly change it and "clarify" "Oh it was just some silliness, it's not true at all!" smacks of major and very recent changes that they're desperate to push out while giving the players a half-cocked apology/explanation.
02/01/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Luciros

He's not going to sleep with you, and he's not infalliable. Also remember that this info has been official and her backstory since before the game launched, taking nearly two years to suddenly change it and "clarify" "Oh it was just some silliness, it's not true at all!" smacks of major and very recent changes that they're desperate to push out while giving the players a half-cocked apology/explanation.

How snide, and irreverent. I'm a heterosexual male, so I don't know why you would say "He's not going to sleep with me." Unless your a f*** d***. You're poor social skills aside, you aren't infallible either, no one is. How pointing this out has any relevance in our known universe is beyond me. The truth is they tried something to be fun, it was misinterpreted and now they're being crucified by the mob who has misplaced priority of what they deem is important in life.
This does not alter D.Va's backstory, all three sentences of it, in any meaningful way. Mountains and molehills.
02/01/2018 03:40 AMPosted by Michael Chu
02/01/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Froilen
now that you are here...

can you explain why in the sombra animation there are omnics in the "los muertos2 gang but in the soldier animation the same gang is kicking some omnic?

do los muertos hate omnics or why is that?

Sure! Los Muertos doesn't organizationally hate omnics (like, it's not in their mission statement), but that doesn't mean a member of Los Muertos (or a bunch of them) couldn't beat one up or dislike them for any number of reasons.

So basically they just like to throw a punch, no matter if that's a person or an omnic. How lovely.

Very few people like the DVa backstory. It was a bit to on the nose.

Very few people have an issue with retconning DVa to make her more of a character and personable.

What people have issue with is him saying "Oh that was just a silly mistake cause I wasnt clear."

Thats treating us, the audience, like were idiots. We're not. Frustratingly, the Devs biggest failure is their ability to admit that some things werent that greatly designed and could be done better. Not that they dont admit times when they couldve done better, but rather they tend to resort to this kinda wishy-washy talk that comes off pretty terribly. Its why I dont feel the PR from teh Devs is particularly great.

What he shouldve done from the get go is say "Yeah, that was the original story we kind of just tacked on, but it didnt leave us with much creative room to do interesting things with DVa. So were changing it a bit so we can make her more of a character."

People would respect that immensely, because its being forward to your audience and not treating them like idiots. Instead we got this wierd hamfisted response about "It wasnt intentional and kinda things but she is a pro gamer, but not really SC." When they trot out nonsense like that and expect us to just ride along with it, its insulting a bit.

Should he apologize? For retconning no. For treating us like were dumb, maybe. Would be a nice gesture to say "Yeah...that was a snafu. We just need to retcon DVa to be a character."
I think what Michael Chu was ACTUALLY trying to say in his tweet was "D.Va isn't a PROFESSIONAL Starcraft Player" as in "D.Va is not dedicated to Starcraft like a job or occupation".

Because remember what "Pro" is short for: "Professional".

And we all know what the definition of a Professional is, yes? Someone engaged in some sort of occupation?

It's like those Overwatch Pros/Professionals who are trying to dedicate their lives and pay most of their attention to this game; and even possibly get paid for working and discussing with the developers about the balance and gameplay?

Like, Chu isn't saying that D.Va never played Starcraft or whatever. He's just trying to differentiate between a pro gamer who excels at a lot of games, which D.Va is (she mentions that she learned to shoot from 16-Bit Hero and there's the scoreboard in the arcade in BlizzardWorld), and a pro gamer who is specialized specifically/exclusively in Starcraft
02/01/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Brycerras

Very few people like the DVa backstory. It was a bit to on the nose.

Very few people have an issue with retconning DVa to make her more of a character and personable.

What people have issue with is him saying "Oh that was just a silly mistake cause I wasnt clear."

Thats treating us, the audience, like were idiots. We're not. Frustratingly, the Devs biggest failure is their ability to admit that some things werent that greatly designed and could be done better. Not that they dont admit times when they couldve done better, but rather they tend to resort to this kinda wishy-washy talk that comes off pretty terribly. Its why I dont feel the PR from teh Devs is particularly great.

What he shouldve done from the get go is say "Yeah, that was the original story we kind of just tacked on, but it didnt leave us with much creative room to do interesting things with DVa. So were changing it a bit so we can make her more of a character."

People would respect that immensely, because its being forward to your audience and not treating them like idiots. Instead we got this wierd hamfisted response about "It wasnt intentional and kinda things but she is a pro gamer, but not really SC." When they trot out nonsense like that and expect us to just ride along with it, its insulting a bit.

Should he apologize? For retconning no. For treating us like were dumb, maybe. Would be a nice gesture to say "Yeah...that was a snafu. We just need to retcon DVa to be a character."

Or maybe you're just taking this all too seriously.
02/01/2018 03:27 AMPosted by Michael Chu
D.Va is absolutely a world champion professional gamer which was what got her recruited into MEKA in the first place. However her best game wasn't StarCraft (which was what I was attempting to clarify). We imagined that she was most known and specialized in a game with a skillset that was closer mapped to the skills that she (and the other MEKA pilots) utilized while piloting their mechs.

That said, D.Va has definitely played more than her fair share of StarCraft (as she references in some of her lines in Overwatch) and a slew of other games. Bonus fact: StarCraft is one of D.Va's father's favorite games! And he was pretty good at it.

Nah, this is dumb as heck.

It would be super easy to say that StarCraft 7 (or whatever) was an RTS/FPS hybrid like the game Battlezone where you controlled a first person character that drove hovertanks but still had to manage your base, acquire resources, and build and command units.

This would actually be a perfect backstory for her skill set of fighting AND managing the movements of other members of her units.