It hurts to watch OWL

Competitive Discussion
Whenever i see OWL, i think of how fun it would be to actually play in a competitive environment. And then it hits me that i will never experience a competitive experience because of the toxicity and the poor teamwork (not switching) of others. there is always that one person on your team who just ruins your day. OWL looks so fun but i am sad that experience cannot be recreated in the game because of the amount of toxicity in the game. Even when watching pros stream, i sometimes see throwers in their teams all the way up in top 500. So i really dont have an incentive to rank up if the games are still toxic up there. #MAKEOVERWATCHGREATAGAIN
Comp is definitely a different game from league play. There are teams you can join if you have the time.

I don’t, and it makes me sad.
Play quick play. I'm bronze on comp, but I play around 2300 at the moment on quick play based on the ranks of the players I am matched with. In fact, I'm up from really, really easy games where people were 1000 or less due to me not playing quick play to these games in about 2 weeks of only quick play. By March I should be into the 2800-3200 range and from there I don't know. I am not a diamond player. I've been backfilled into masters games in quick play (mostly masters with a gm and a diamond to fill it out) and I can hold my own for a bit, but I always make mistakes that lead to a team carry or lose situation.

Quick play is WAY better than comp. We should just be able to see our MMR in quick play. Comp would die in seconds as all people care about is that rank number and the badge. If we could see MMR then it's all over.
OWL is what Blizzard would like Comp to be. But that won't happen as they're busy chasing their tails for ranks below Masters and the issues that plague those ranks.

Placate the top tier players that show off the brand (i.e. Top 500 and OWL), which brings in the low ranks, which brings in coin. Low rank players see a different side of the game, and not the super camaraderie that Top 500/OWL exhibits? Who cares! Coin is rolling in!
yep the most fun i have is playing in a group where I have my exclusive role. all the pro teams come from somewhere, right?
02/06/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Moxsapphire
Low rank players see a different side of the game

The ranked experience is pretty garbage across the board. I always firmly told myself that the satisfaction of climbing would be worth the struggle, but increasingly I'm just playing to avoid decay.
...try 6 stacking?

That's the only solution. 6 stacking is actually really fun. Too bad Blizzard doesn't give us the tools to create groups. Like a guild system, or a group finder.
02/06/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Moxsapphire
Low rank players see a different side of the game, and not the super camaraderie that Top 500/OWL exhibits? Who cares! Coin is rolling in!

Excuse me, what camradere? Top 500 is nothing but the same 100-ish angry dudebro streamers and their smurfs.
02/06/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Thisismy193
Quick play is WAY better than comp. We should just be able to see our MMR in quick play.

The problem is then Quick Play would just become Comp. It's the visible ranking number that causes comp's problems.

Plus, I think if you could see hidden MMR, people would realize that comp is basically a sham. I'm very confident that high bronze to low plat is basically the same in terms of hidden MMR.

In any case, I agree with the premise of this topic that I think Overwatch has the potential to be very fun when played in a way that fosters team coordination. However, the current system really just isn't set up for it. Even if you go to all the work of assembling a full team, the current SR system heavily rewards selfish play (at least until the higher ranks), which will hurt your ability to rank up if you play the game "properly".
02/06/2018 07:33 AMPosted by Babanovac
...try 6 stacking?

That's the only solution. 6 stacking is actually really fun. Too bad Blizzard doesn't give us the tools to create groups. Like a guild system, or a group finder.
Guilds/groups in OW would be absolutely amazing imo
02/06/2018 07:55 AMPosted by CatCountry
Excuse me, what camradere? Top 500 is nothing but the same 100-ish angry dudebro streamers and their smurfs.

Depends who you watch. The streams I watch, I see no 'dudebro streamers' and a lot of camaraderie. Even between teams.