Game mechanics math problem (armor)

General Discussion
In the recent doomfist update from Mr goodman he says we're got from 6 bullets doing 11 dmg to 11 bullets doing 6 dmg...which is fine...but I've already seen 1 video saying that yes that's the same damage overall except that against armor you will be doing less dmg overall because the armor affects each bullet

Now I'm no math expert but:

(11 x Y%) x 6 = (6 x Y%) x 11 where Y is the how much armor reduces dmg (I don't know actual number)....it's just distributive property no? Or am I not understanding how a game mechanic works
You're forgetting the time it takes to shoot more bulltets.

By that point my target may have healed (slightly) more.
02/08/2018 08:12 AMPosted by linkdude240
You're forgetting the time it takes to shoot more bulltets.

By that point my target may have healed (slightly) more.

Well all we have is the info Geoff gave us...doesn't say anything about them firing faster or slower so I'm assuming it's the same exact rate...and each individual shot does the same exact amount of damage
02/08/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Baja
(11 x Y%) x 6 = (6 x Y%) x 11 where Y is the how much armor reduces dmg (I don't know actual number)....it's just distributive property no? Or am I not understanding how a game mechanic works

Armor reduces anything that does 10 or more damage by 5, while anything 10 or less does half damage.

So at 11 damage per 6 pellets, the damage becomes 36 on an armored target.
(11-5) * 6 = 6 * 6 = 36

Meanwhile, with 11 pellets at 6 damage, the damage is 33 on an armored target.
(6 * .5) * 11 = 3 * 11 = 33

It's essentially a minor nerf because armor isn't a flat % reduction across the board. That's why just trying to go straight up distributive property doesn't work. The value of Y isn't a constant for every scenario.
Armor does not reduce damage in a constant way. If you do more than 10 damage it is reduce by 5, if you do less than 10 damage it is halved instead.

So its:
(11-5)*6= 36
vs
(6-3)*11 = 33.

Edit:
Although, the key question here is on average how many of the 6 pellets is Doomfist landing on enemies. If DF starts landing relatively more pellets his damage output might actually increase.
Yes but if your target is at range and you're only connecting one or two you'll be doing less damage overall, and you could be required to shoot more, theiretically.
Doomfist's damage is now halved against armour, so 33 per shot assuming they all hit and none of them crit. Previously the damage amount in the same scenario would have been 36 so it's not a huge nerf in that regard. Armour reduces 5 damage from every single instance of damage done unless the single instance is 10 or less, in which case the damage is halved.

Edit: too slow both in the game and outside of it apparently
02/08/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Sheevah
02/08/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Baja

Armor reduces anything that does 10 or more damage by 5, while anything 10 or less does half damage.

(11-5) * 6 = 6 * 6 = 36

It's essentially a minor nerf because armor isn't a flat % reduction across the board. That's why just trying to go straight up distributive property doesn't work. The value of Y isn't a constant for every scenario.

This is what I didn't know....ty
old df dmg per hit to armor=36
new df dmg per hit to armor=33
02/08/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Baja
02/08/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Sheevah

(11-5) * 6 = 6 * 6 = 36

This is what I didn't know....ty

This also means that his headshot damage against armored targets will be nerfed quite a bit. I'm fairly certain headshots are taken into account before armor which for an all headshot hit gives us:

(2×11-5)×6 = 102 damage on live.

And it gives us (2×6-5)×11=77 damage with the changes.