WE need a trans hero

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 18 Next
No, it's not something we need. Sexuality has nothing to do with story or gameplay. The only reason people know Tracer is gay is because we got a glimpse of her normal life. You don't see anything mentioning tracer's sexuality in her bio, because it's not important.

It's so not important, Michael Chu could post here that X hero is actually gay and it would make no impact to any character. Except maybe the robots but whatever.

Sexuality does NOT define a good character. What defines a good character is a likable personality, indentifiable motivations, and easily understood morals.

A good character also doesn't need any introduction.
I don't mind a character being trans. But how would the writing team give context clues to a character being trans without them exactly saying that they are? Again, tracer works because we can see her relationship and that's enough evidence. Maybe the writing team CAN. But why would they go out of their way to do that? Again there are better things to be focusing on because sexuality has no impact on story what so ever.

TL:DR, Making a trans character would be pointless and unimportant, which makes it a waste of time announcing a character's sexuality.
Route 66 proves we need a trains hero, otherwise they're just going to keep crashing when people blow up the tracks.

02/07/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Natuday
I think the perfect candidate for this is McCree.

Yes, future cowboy McCree is the hero the trains need, if not the one they deserve.
To be honest i hate when this type of post shows up.
Don't get me wrong - but- forcing some idelogy into game just beacause there is a lot of trans people makes no sense.

Someone wanted to use McCree- but would it fit his character? No!
He is shown to be a cowboy, a
manly man
, he does not resemble any of "transgender" qualities.

New trans character? Maybe- i'm not saying no- but if the 'transgender' part of the character makes sense, and goes well with the story- sure.

But don't force something that has already diverse characters, let the character creators come up with ideas- and stop for god's sake making posts like:
-WE NEED TRANS CHARACTER
-WE NEED [Insert country here] CHARACTER
-WE NEED MORE OF THE LGBT COMMUNITY CHARACTERS

Also stop forcing some sexualities onto characters that are steated to be straight.
Like how would you feel if you were homosexual and were forced to be with a man/woman (depending on what gender you are.)

Just.Stop.Please.ThankYou.
02/08/2018 06:54 AMPosted by MagyTheMage
Isnt mccree considered to be gay already?

Mchanzo Anyone? XD

People calm down it was a joke
And I request a helicopter, of the attack variation.
Are you assuming the characters genders? That is a bit too transphobic for me (throws hands in exhaustion)
02/07/2018 11:04 PMPosted by Xaron
But it isn't needed. I like diversity as much as the next person, but forcing a change like that on the story for the sake of the story is a bit much. I'm all for a trans hero, but don't change the story of one already in the game.

Pretty much all of this
But it isn't needed. I like diversity as much as the next person, but forcing a change like that on the story for the sake of the story is a bit much. I'm all for a trans hero, but don't change the story of one already in the game.

I need a trans person so I can relate to them. Despite not being trans at all.
Plus if we are being really PC about this we have one lesbian, that means we need about half the male roster of characters to be gay to get the proportions the right compared to the general population.

So about by the time we have 200 heroes it should average out, with like 1 - 2 trans heroes and the LGBT proportions right.
Does Zenyatta count? "Move in everybody, I have Trans ready"
Take this coming from LGBT

It would be nice to have the representation but we do need anything. The tone that your thread gave is that this game cannot go on without one. And turning an already established hero into that is silly.

I like the story behind Overwatch and their desire to be as inclusive as possible. The only issue is, they have to do it organically. Saying "we need ____" is like saying, "just put it in the game, as soon as you can" which means it'll feel forced, the hero won't be as complex and thoroughly created, and just...poor.

If there's ever to be LGBT representation (which I am for), I want it to be as organic as every other hero in the game. I want them to have complex personalities, their own struggles, their own drawbacks that have become their strengths, etc.

Not just to be created for the sake of marking off an item on the diversity checklist.
having LGBT characters for the sake of it = tokenism

This is the most thinly veiled transphobia I've ever seen. How would blizzard confirming that Mccree is ftm change the story in ANY way? Are you that attached to the idea of him having balls?
That would explain why McCree's entire character is a huge anachronism. He's emulating a hyper masculine stereotype from bygone times in an attempt to seem as manly as possible
02/08/2018 07:19 AMPosted by ǁĤȎkaĜeŜamǞǁ

Someone wanted to use McCree- but would it fit his character? No!
He is shown to be a cowboy, a
manly man
, he does not resemble any of "transgender" qualities.

Could you please tell me what you mean by ""transgender" qualities"? And why you feel trans representation is unacceptable unless it adheres to your arbitrary standards?
02/08/2018 07:18 AMPosted by Krodgerdat
No, it's not something we need. Sexuality has nothing to do with story or gameplay. The only reason people know Tracer is gay is because we got a glimpse of her normal life. You don't see anything mentioning tracer's sexuality in her bio, because it's not important.

It's so not important, Michael Chu could post here that X hero is actually gay and it would make no impact to any character. Except maybe the robots but whatever.

Sexuality does NOT define a good character. What defines a good character is a likable personality, indentifiable motivations, and easily understood morals.

A good character also doesn't need any introduction.
I don't mind a character being trans. But how would the writing team give context clues to a character being trans without them exactly saying that they are? Again, tracer works because we can see her relationship and that's enough evidence. Maybe the writing team CAN. But why would they go out of their way to do that? Again there are better things to be focusing on because sexuality has no impact on story what so ever.

TL:DR, Making a trans character would be pointless and unimportant, which makes it a waste of time announcing a character's sexuality.

If you don't understand the need for representation then get off this thread until you do. It's INCREDIBLY dehumanising to feel invisible.
I have an Idea. How about they just make a gender bent skin for each character. It supports the op’s idea and thoughts but tones it down just a bit so it isn’t as horrible as some to think it would be.
It's funny reading all of the many, many variations of "i'm not a homophobe, but..." from numerous voices on this community board.

I'm gay, and don't really care (nor need, require or request) a gay/lesbian/trans/straight/bi/any sexuality-and/or-gender variety character to make me enjoy OW any more or less, but there is a special kind of humor watching all of you try to eloquently slap down the suggestion (troll-originated or not) of additional layers of diversity to "ya'll's free time", or "having people's way of life forced in ya'll's faces".
You're titled is false by the way. The Game doesn't NEED a hero at all it runs fine as it is. What it NEEDS is proper balancing. Not saying its to far off but some character are low they're in hell.