WE need a trans hero

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 18 Next
Trans hero would be cool
02/08/2018 10:30 AMPosted by FedoraTheExp
02/08/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Oaktea
I really don't understand how/why people hate this idea so much.

Like, if you make a new character, and introduce them in the lore as trans, what's the big deal?

It's not just for trans representation. It also tells trans people, "you are welcome here."

Because we don't need a TOKEN character, As you can tell 90% OF THE people on here don't want, don't care, and don't want this crap shoved down there life's. The more you ask the more push back you get, and when you get your way then you open up Pandoras box. People come here to enjoy the game and could care less of what Gender you are. There are plenty of Religious people who come and play her and no one is asking for special characters who would go against trans beliefs. Look at the amount of Toxicity . Don't force people to accept things when they don't even accept themselves. Leave the game alone.
not to mention when people asking for this stuff do get their way, theyre sore winners.
02/08/2018 10:30 AMPosted by FedoraTheExp

Because we don't need a TOKEN character, As you can tell 90% OF THE people on here don't want, don't care, and don't want this crap shoved down there life's. The more you ask the more push back you get, and when you get your way then you open up Pandoras box. People come here to enjoy the game and could care less of what Gender you are. There are plenty of Religious people who come and play her and no one is asking for special characters who would go against trans beliefs. Look at the amount of Toxicity . Don't force people to accept things when they don't even accept themselves. Leave the game alone.

Are the rest of the characters in the game less "token"? Is D.Va not the token Korean, or Mei the token Chinese, or Sombra the token mexican or Tracer the token lesbian or Torbjorn the token short person? The game is about representing diversity, and transgender people are part of diversity. Also probably your claim about 90% of the people who come here not wanting or caring is skewed by the fact that there can't be discussions about transgender issues on this forum without Blizz deleting the thread. Also, your argument about religious people asking for a character that would go against trans beliefs is absurd. There are plenty of trans people who are religious, and also plenty of religious people who are accepting of all people. Adding a trans character to the game is no different than adding other diversity. If you haven't accepted trans people yet, you're just as bad as people who haven't accepted other diversity.
We already have a trans hero. I'll probably get a ban for posting this, but oh well.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/118/237/230.jpg
No, we REALLY Don't...
02/08/2018 11:18 AMPosted by ACE
No, we REALLY Don't...

Why not though? The game represents all kinds of people. All kinds of people should include trans people.
I too, would like a transformer hero. Preferably Optimus Prime from the G1 continuity, or maybe Star Saber, perhaps Ginrai instead?
But alas, Blizzard will never acquire the license for it. But one can dream.
You poor soul , keep crying apparently they listen
Adding a trans hero would do more harm than good, coming from someone who was born female. Trans people don't want their gender to have an additional category and be separated from normal people. We want to be seen as one of them.
I gotta say, it’s really frustrating to say “I want to see characters like me in the mainstraim media” and have it met with “they shouldn’t push a political agenda.”

The only “political agenda” that anybody’s trying to push here is that we exist and deserve to feel like we belong in the world. And I gotta say, I’m really tired of that being considered political.

Also, art as a whole is political. It always has been, and always will be. Video games are an art form. Overwatch is immensely political, with its diverse cast and a large part of its narrative being about prejudice against omnics.
02/08/2018 11:10 AMPosted by SilentSword
WE Need An Apache Attack Helicopter
Yeah, this joke wasn’t funny the first 3,000 times, either.
Bastion is Trans, Identifies as a turret, robot and tank.
02/08/2018 11:21 AMPosted by KǀDDO
Adding a trans hero would do more harm than good, coming from someone who was born female. Trans people don't want their gender to have an additional category and be separated from normal people. We want to be seen as one of them.

Sadly, that's not how Identity Politics work. The current political climate not only DEMANDS you to identify as trans, but also NEEDS to subdivide you into a large pool of about 70+ different genders. Which is complete insanity.

That said, two big problems:

1. Having a trans character in OW would immediately result in the game being banned in the whole Islamic World (North Africa, Middle East and several SA nations), as well as Russia. China would also analyse it and, quite probably, ban it as well. Which means Overwatch would lose millions of players.

2. Game is set in 2076. Given that medical advances even allow for people to be brought back from the dead, it makes ZERO sense to have a trans character - they would have easily have treatment to change to their preferred gender long before they joined OW or Talon.

Just like the modern DLC for the game Baldur's Gate insisted on having a trans character, despite the fact that in that world there are cheap magical potions that allow anyone to change gender at will. The existence of that character made absolutely no sense whatsoever and only served to irritate the old fans of the series.
02/07/2018 11:07 PMPosted by EpsilonKey14
02/07/2018 11:05 PMPosted by EviktFoxtrot
Why? We dont need a hero for every gender and every ethnicity, sure its nice every once in a while to see someone of a different background have an awesome backstory and abilities, but I feel as though this really just starts to get out of hand when we want one of everything, next thing you know, someone wants a character that identifies as an apache helicopter, but its a nice thought.
Don't take this post seriously, OP is trying to get a rise out of everyone for laughs and attention.

Everyone just go on about your day.

The sad part is that the OW Tumblr fandom is so out there that the OP's post seems like an entirely plausible request from them.
Yeah. Thomas the tank would be a good hero
I'd love a trans hero! It would be nice to see someone like myself shown in something so popular.
02/08/2018 11:21 AMPosted by KǀDDO

While I do agree that some trans people don't want to be seen as trans, some are fine with the trans part of their identity. Besides, if the game revealed that one of the characters has been trans the whole time, it doesn't separate them at all, but instead shows that trans people are just people.

02/08/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Keoland

1. Having a trans character in OW would immediately result in the game being banned in the whole Islamic World (North Africa, Middle East and several SA nations), as well as Russia. China would also analyse it and, quite probably, ban it as well. Which means Overwatch would lose millions of players.

2. Game is set in 2076. Given that medical advances even allow for people to be brought back from the dead, it makes ZERO sense to have a trans character - they would have easily have treatment to change to their preferred gender long before they joined OW or Talon.

Just like the modern DLC for the game Baldur's Gate insisted on having a trans character, despite the fact that in that world there are cheap magical potions that allow anyone to change gender at will. The existence of that character made absolutely no sense whatsoever and only served to irritate the old fans of the series.

1. Not true. Iran is very open to transgender people. Also, Islam is a whole isn't more transphobic than other religions. Like with Christianity and Judaism and other religions, some people use their texts to discriminate against LGBT people, and some are decent people. No different from the American south.

2. Right, but in that case, wouldn't it be easy to add in somewhere in a characters lore just a tiny reference to the fact that they transitioned in the past? It would be such a non-issue in the world that it would help to show how normal trans people are.

3. The Baldur's gate thing was stupid. The trans character was minor, and you had to go through several levels of dialogue to even learn they were trans. People just overreacted.
02/08/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Ragnarok013

The sad part is that the OW Tumblr fandom is so out there that the OP's post seems like an entirely plausible request from them.

Calling an entire oppressed minority of people a "tumblr fandom" is a bit of a generalization, isn't it? Why do trans people deserve less representation in media than other people?