WE need a trans hero

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 Next
We already have one. Zarya, duh. Actually make that two, Moira is probably in the process of becoming male but Zarya clearly used to be a man.
02/08/2018 03:40 PMPosted by MrGrimm

There's no way they could make it seem not forced without a jarring panel in a comic involving said character taking hormones or revealing top surgery scars and even then it'd feel way too forced.

Would it really be jarring to see a character take some hormone pills, or to have them flash back or have them interact with something from their past and discuss it? I feel like that wouldn't be the least bit jarring.
Made it to page 6... No way I'll make it through the rest.

Alter your viewpoint and everyone should be happy...

If you are pro-trans representation:

This is a futuristic/alternate society. In such a future, things have moved in the direction of respect. A current hero could be trans, they identify as M or F, people respect that, note it as such in their bio, and addresses them as he/she accordingly. Without the need to check their bits and DNA for confirmation. As fully accepted members of society, and perhaps in some cases with future tech, trans folk no longer have any need to be classified or identified as anything other than what they feel they are, or have become.

For those anti-trans representation:

There are no trans heroes in the game.
02/08/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Safira

There's no way they could make it seem not forced without a jarring panel in a comic involving said character taking hormones or revealing top surgery scars and even then it'd feel way too forced.

Would it really be jarring to see a character take some hormone pills, or to have them flash back or have them interact with something from their past and discuss it? I feel like that wouldn't be the least bit jarring.

It'd be jarring cause it'd be a tone shift. It'd be too 'real' so to speak. Like imagine a comic about a hero doing this huge bombastic operation with explosions and other things that are hard to draw. Then out of nowhere you get a panel of them injecting themselves in their bathroom. I guess it could work as a sort of 'cooldown' panel but it'd be such a wild tone shift non the less. Maybe in a slice of life comic like the christmas one and even then it could upset the generally happy tone.
02/08/2018 03:53 PMPosted by MrGrimm

It'd be jarring cause it'd be a tone shift. It'd be too 'real' so to speak. Like imagine a comic about a hero doing this huge bombastic operation with explosions and other things that are hard to draw. Then out of nowhere you get a panel of them injecting themselves in their bathroom. I guess it could work as a sort of 'cooldown' panel but it'd be such a wild tone shift non the less. Maybe in a slice of life comic like the christmas one and even then it could upset the generally happy tone.

I was imagining it in one like the Christmas one, just showing them living their lives. Alternatively, I think it could work if someone encountered someone from their past and it came up that way. I don't think it would upset a happy tone, there's nothing not happy about taking hormones?
Ok, someone remind me please.

This game is about shooting people, right? How exactly does "trans", gay or whatever affect the gameplay?

You don't even know the backstory of most of the characters and what their sexual orientation is. And it doesn't matter as this is not a game about sex.

There are other games you can use for that.
I thought they were going to suggest that Moira is trans. Really in a setting with prosthetics, instant nanohealing and resurrection from death it's quite likely that any of the characters are trans and it just doesn't matter because you can never tell.

I hang out on a lot of RP sites and depictions of McCree as trans are pretty popular so I suspect OP is trying to make their fanon canon.
02/08/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Hombold

This game is about shooting people, right? How exactly does "trans", gay or whatever affect the gameplay?

You don't even know the backstory of most of the characters and what their sexual orientation is. And it doesn't matter as this is not a game about sex.

some people play this game for the characters. there's a story being told outside the game after all that decides the next heroes, events, and skins among other things. it's hard to believe but some people like the game for more than just shooting people.
02/08/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Hombold

Alright! So, it doesn't effect the game play at all, so if you don't care about it, you can just ignore it! However, positive representation in the media is really important for everyone, and there aren't many video game depictions of trans people. If Overwatch had a trans character, it would help trans people everywhere to feel more welcome and supported. Also, gender isn't related to sex. Also, since you seem to know, what games do you know of that have good, positive representations of trans people? I'd definitely be interested in them!
02/08/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Oaktea
I really don't understand how/why people hate this idea so much.

Like, if you make a new character, and introduce them in the lore as trans, what's the big deal?

It's not just for trans representation. It also tells trans people, "you are welcome here."

so by your logic, the 150+ countries not represented here means those people aren't welcome here...Blizzard better get to work
02/07/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Natuday
02/07/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Roaming
...America has one of the highest mental illness populations in the world (source: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/why-more-americans-suffer-from-mental-disorders-than-anyone-else/246035/)

TRANS is not an illness, just a disorder. :) have a nice day

well gender dysphoria is an illness because it is a disease that effects the mind
i didnt even say anything wrong and a mod deleted some of my posts. thanks, proven bias!
If there was ever a topic that just needs continually 404'd, THIS is it,,,
02/08/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Safira

yes, it would be jarring.
02/08/2018 04:09 PMPosted by StonedSmurf
02/07/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Natuday

TRANS is not an illness, just a disorder. :) have a nice day

well gender dysphoria is an illness because it is a disease that effects the mind
doctors have already approved your message, but be careful who you tell it to or else be silenced for wrong-think.
02/08/2018 04:02 PMPosted by Safira
02/08/2018 03:53 PMPosted by MrGrimm

I was imagining it in one like the Christmas one, just showing them living their lives. Alternatively, I think it could work if someone encountered someone from their past and it came up that way. I don't think it would upset a happy tone, there's nothing not happy about taking hormones?

Yeah my trans ex loved injecting himself with testosterone every day so he one day wont feel disgusted with the body he's in. Nothing not happy about that nope.

The best trans representation would be something we'd never even know about because trans people want to pass as their gender and many do. Heck I'm sure I've met a few trans people and didn't even know it.

But let's say they encountered someone from their past how could that reveal anything? Would they deadname them? Would they misgender them? I guess they could say "you look more feminine/masculine" than when we last met...but once more It'd feel forced.
02/08/2018 04:10 PMPosted by mypants

yes, it would be jarring.

Its only jarring if you're intolerant. It just adds depth to the character without having them directly say it.