Random Ping Spikes on NA Central (ORD1) Server

Technical Support
1 2 3 5 Next
Since the Year of the Dog update, I've been getting random ping spikes from around 80 to 150~200 ping for around 15 seconds at a time before dropping. This only happens to me on the NA East Coast Server (ORD1) and never happens when I'm on the West Coast server. It also happens when to my friends whenever I get the ping spikes. Is anyone else getting this? To check your server, press ctrl+shift+n and on the top left, it will show your server. If you're in NA you'll usually get LAX1 or ORD1, ORD1 is based in Chicago and LAX1 is in LA.
It is happening to everyone... Blizzard will tell you it's your fault though and to close your background apps :)
02/10/2018 07:01 PMPosted by strych9
It is happening to everyone... Blizzard will tell you it's your fault though and to close your background apps :)

they will tell you all that for sure, but it is strange that they would tell you to do that when you were doing the same usual thing since before the patch and live maintenance happened.

all in all, blizzard need to do a diagnostic run on their servers and find out what is going on since they cannot just help every individual person that complains when it is on their end of things
02/10/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Balthizar
02/10/2018 07:01 PMPosted by strych9

they will tell you all that for sure, but it is strange that they would tell you to do that when you were doing the same usual thing since before the patch and live maintenance happened.

all in all, blizzard need to do a diagnostic run on their servers and find out what is going on since they cannot just help every individual person that complains when it is on their end of things

Exactly - I have 1gig up and down. I typically get 20 ping... for last 2 weeks every single night it is 150+. This is blizzard networking issue... and all their forum support people are doing is pissing everyone off implying it is us...

There are some serious networking issues going on with Blizzard - and it has gotten out of hand. I know i've stopped playing because of it, and others have too.
02/10/2018 07:12 PMPosted by strych9
02/10/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Balthizar

Exactly - I have 1gig up and down. I typically get 20 ping... for last 2 weeks every single night it is 150+. This is blizzard networking issue... and all their forum support people are doing is pissing everyone off implying it is us...

There are some serious networking issues going on with Blizzard - and it has gotten out of hand. I know i've stopped playing because of it, and others have too.

The networking issues are also affecting their other games such as HOTS when you are playing on the right server, so i am assuming their servers are having a receiving packet loss problem
I'm getting the same thing, I usually have 28-35 ping but my ping has reached a high of 200! This has never happened before, I get about 60-70 ping spikes if I'm lucky but usually its safe to assume it'll be 100+
Same problem here. Hover around 33 ping and spike to 90-150 every 30 seconds since patch day.
Same thing is happening to me. I hover around 25 usually, but it will spike up to 100 or even 200 every 2 minutes or so.
I've never really noticed an issue until today. I'm east coast as well.
I'm having these issues as well.

Verizon Fios with Gigabit. Normally I'm 20-30ms. Past couple days randomly spike to 80-100ms for a few seconds. Happens pretty frequently.

Also East coast. Connected to ord1 last I had this issue but it might be showing up on multiple servers. That's just what I saw when I thought to check.
It's OWL. They shut off certain things and put all the rest of the resources to ensure OWL has a smooth run.

58 ms when OWL isn't on, 80-150 when OWL is on, i'm also East Coast.
02/10/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Victon
It's OWL. They shut off certain things and put all the rest of the resources to ensure OWL has a smooth run.

58 ms when OWL isn't on, 80-150 when OWL is on, i'm also East Coast.

make zero sense to blame it on OWL, when OWL has separate servers from normal client servers.

Allow me to explain why, during OWL there is hardly anyone playing during the same time as the OWL being on at the same time matches are live to watch. They do not just shut aspects of the game down just for something with its own servers during the league to keep them stable, yes more of the patch teams and support teams of being used for OWL, but it would not make sense to actively slow down your normal game for any reason.

not too mention you have zero fact to back up the claims that OWL is the cause.
I assume the east server is down, my ping is 92-130
02/10/2018 09:03 PMPosted by nickwithtea
I assume the east server is down, my ping is 92-130

The server is not down, i can promise you that, however i assume,(have not checked in a normal game yet), that the server is having something on the receiving end of things making it lose packets or whatever it thinks the problem is for you to a different regional server.

But that is pure speculation, at least until i see the graph myself.
Yep.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761107736

I'm starting to see more similar threads as well.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761707122

Some people claim it's since the update but my experience is similar to this poster's:

02/09/2018 07:14 PMPosted by strych9
Same here - in my case, I have 1gig fiber - typically I have 20-30 ping - last 3 weeks though for me it sits at about 150 every night - during day it is fine..

I dont think it is update related personally, people are just starting to notice - its been doing this for a while...

150/150 Verizon Fios fiber. Recall that like three to four weeks ago there was an acute problem with predominantly Verizon players disconnecting. A certain node along the route was blamed, and Blizzard eventually bypassed it. That fixed the problem.

Multiple posts also state this occurs in peak times, same as my experience.

02/09/2018 08:32 PMPosted by strych9
I would recommend everyone start taking a closer look at their ping - I am sure you will notice, as I do, this is occuring every single night. The game can 'appear' smooth - so you would never think to check, but the rubberbanding is getting rough - I have been watching this like a hawk over the last 3 weeks.

Unfortunately I am sure there will be a generic response from Blizzard implying it is not them... However, I am at a loss... I really want to play - but... just cant because of their horrible servers or routing or whatever you want to call it.

Any other game I play, Battlefield 1, BF, Quake - ~10-20 ping - as it should be with 1gig fiber. My other local friends with 'normal' internet/ISP's also have very low pings in every single game except... Overwatch -

As this poster states some people may just not have noticed what has been happening for a few weeks now. And before Blizzard utter that it has nothing to do with them, read that last paragraph.

Funny thing is they had an actual East Coast server on the Doomfist ptr. Nothing has come out of that and in the history of Overwatch things have only regressed in my experience. It used to be you wouldn't see the icons mid-game. Now we've reached a point where your ping fluctuates and spikes significantly during peak times.

I'm glad this is happening to more people and people are complaining so Blizzard can't weasel their way out of there indeed being a problem affecting their game[s]!

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761827143
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761697202
Also happening to me East Coast I've posted in a few of the other threads and, will keep it up till someone notecice there's a issue.
02/11/2018 01:29 AMPosted by turtle
Yep.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761107736

I'm starting to see more similar threads as well.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761707122

Some people claim it's since the update but my experience is similar to this poster's:

02/09/2018 07:14 PMPosted by strych9
Same here - in my case, I have 1gig fiber - typically I have 20-30 ping - last 3 weeks though for me it sits at about 150 every night - during day it is fine..

I dont think it is update related personally, people are just starting to notice - its been doing this for a while...

150/150 Verizon Fios fiber. Recall that like three to four weeks ago there was an acute problem with predominantly Verizon players disconnecting. A certain node along the route was blamed, and Blizzard eventually bypassed it. That fixed the problem.

Multiple posts also state this occurs in peak times, same as my experience.

02/09/2018 08:32 PMPosted by strych9
I would recommend everyone start taking a closer look at their ping - I am sure you will notice, as I do, this is occuring every single night. The game can 'appear' smooth - so you would never think to check, but the rubberbanding is getting rough - I have been watching this like a hawk over the last 3 weeks.

Unfortunately I am sure there will be a generic response from Blizzard implying it is not them... However, I am at a loss... I really want to play - but... just cant because of their horrible servers or routing or whatever you want to call it.

Any other game I play, Battlefield 1, BF, Quake - ~10-20 ping - as it should be with 1gig fiber. My other local friends with 'normal' internet/ISP's also have very low pings in every single game except... Overwatch -

As this poster states some people may just not have noticed what has been happening for a few weeks now. And before Blizzard utter that it has nothing to do with them, read that last paragraph.

Funny thing is they had an actual East Coast server on the Doomfist ptr. Nothing has come out of that and in the history of Overwatch things have only regressed in my experience. It used to be you wouldn't see the icons mid-game. Now we've reached a point where your ping fluctuates and spikes significantly during peak times.

I'm glad this is happening to more people and people are complaining so Blizzard can't weasel their way out of there indeed being a problem affecting their game[s]!

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761827143
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761697202

right on.. most people probably dont play with their ping status turned on - I would challenge anyone to turn them on - leave it on, and play tonight - the issue is easily replicated - and is occuring for tens of thousands. There are many other non-blizzard forums that have players fuming, and ultimately, not able to play the game.

I really hope Blizzard just makes a blanket statement to address the issue and acknowledge there is a problem with their server/network at this time and that they are working to repair it. Then - sticky that post on here.

During the day - my ping is between 40-60. Sitting in the 'waiting room' pre-game I am at 40 - as soon as the round starts though and a fight occurs, you can watch the ping fluctuate all over.

At night time though? Forget about it - it goes from 40 to 150 and sometimes 200 - extremely unreliable.

I played the game since the day it launched, have several GM accounts and took a break about 3 months ago (destiny 2 sucked me in..) my ping has always been 20-30 (36 max). Now that I have tried to play again after this 3 month break, I have noticed that the last 3-4 weeks every single night I experience this nonsense. Soooooo frustrating. Considering they have the $$ to EASILY fix this networking problem they have on their side.
Been playing over a year with no problems. Just moved and got Comcast gigabyte Internet. Game will play smooth for a bit until I get hit with huge RTT spikes into the 800-1000 range making the game unplayable. Started right after the yotd patch. I’m on west coast btw
02/11/2018 10:42 AMPosted by VîtamîN
Been playing over a year with no problems. Just moved and got Comcast gigabyte Internet. Game will play smooth for a bit until I get hit with huge RTT spikes into the 800-1000 range making the game unplayable. Started right after the yotd patch. I’m on west coast btw

I'm also on the West Coast and having the same problems. My RTT spikes don't get that high but they triple(they'll end up at about 150) and the game is unplayable and like you it started after the Year of the Dog update. Can't even go into the practice range without it happening.
Sounds like we in the same boat, REALLY hope blizz recognizes this sooner than later as everything I’ve tried does not work.