If you want a Mercy revert

General Discussion

If people only played Mercy for the thrill of rezzing(imo this is problematic but irrelevant here) and did not care about the rest of her gameplay otherwise the devs should know that.

Who said anything about rez being the only thrill? Not at all, personally I enjoy healing people and obviously the vast majority of Mercy players enjoy it too. But ultimates are called ultimates for a reason - they are game-changers and a huge part of every hero's kit. Nobody calls Genji mains dragonblade-bots, why is enjoying Mercy's old ultimate taken to mean you played Mercy as a rezbot?

Because now people are calling Mercy incredibly boring when her core gameplay outside ult hasn't really been changed at all.
02/01/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Spooder
02/01/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Matrim
Stop telling me what I want. Especially if you don't have any playing time on Mercy at all. Face it, mass res was exhilarating when you managed to pull it off (me personally, not so often because I suck at this game). Why shouldn't people want it back?
Because its an abusable mechanic which some people will ignore healing their team, watch them die and the go in for that "exhilarating rez". This is what OP means by rezbot. Sure Mercy was able to pull of more rezes with her rework, but before people only played for that mega rez, not for her healing and teeamplay and mobility, but for the selfish rez, which could often lead to lost team fights if mercy isn't actively engaged in the fight.
People die while going in to rez now. I’ve gone in to rez someone to keep our team even, and someone managed to die in those 1.75 seconds. You cannot heal while rezzing. How is that any different than your complaint?

And rez is far from selfish. Good grief.
02/01/2018 08:26 AMPosted by mirvine
02/01/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Dysvalence
Admit that you want a rezbot and that you don't really care for the rest of her gameplay all that much.

The intent of the rework was to make her less of a rezbot and put more emphasis on her core healbot gameplay, which hasn't changed much, yet everyone apparently finds it absolutely mindnumbing now. The devs clearly thought that the healbotting is what made her fun and unique, which is why they view the rework as a success. Saying that you want a revert isn't going to convince them. Saying that you only really cared for the one part of her gameplay that was removed probably isn't either, but it might get her core gameplay improved.
Hello fellow Ana main, I believe you are confused.

Mercy's rework increased her average resurrects per game over 200%, and it is still significantly higher than before.

So, you could argue that NOW she is the rezbot.

And as a former Mercy main, current Mercy is nowhere near fun or engaging (how is Valkyrie, a glorified spectator mode, engaging?). This rework was an utter failure, not a success.
You do realize that zen ult is like a spectator mode as well? Same with soldiers? and Torbs? And like half the other characters like dva?
The fun of Mercy's gameplay is the movement, for me at least. While that still exists, and at a basic level it's better than Mercy 1.0 movement, it is entirely broken by Rez with a nearly 2 sec cast time. You can't say "we want to define Mercy as a healer with strong single target healing and excellent mobility" and then make one of her abilities the equivalent of dealing with a Mei freeze every 30 seconds. I may as well not use it if I want to play Mercy the way she's most fun for me, and then why do I even have that ability in the first place?

I, personally, want a revert because Rez is simply too powerful to be put on CD if the only way to make it work is to go against your supposed character design for her. Rez as an ultimate was far healthier for the state of the game. No, it wasn't perfect. Yes, it could be exploited, but it makes far more sense to figure out where to go with Rez as an ultimate - whether it's by simple tweaks or even a more drastic rework to the mechanics of Rez as an ultimate - than what we've actually dealt with since the creation of Valkyrie.
02/01/2018 08:32 AMPosted by Xian396
So yeah, she's more of rez bot since it's a given ability and not an earned one.

100% agree.
02/01/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Dysvalence

Who said anything about rez being the only thrill? Not at all, personally I enjoy healing people and obviously the vast majority of Mercy players enjoy it too. But ultimates are called ultimates for a reason - they are game-changers and a huge part of every hero's kit. Nobody calls Genji mains dragonblade-bots, why is enjoying Mercy's old ultimate taken to mean you played Mercy as a rezbot?

Because now people are calling Mercy incredibly boring when her core gameplay outside ult hasn't really been changed at all.

People are exaggerating, of course, but ultimates are a big part of the hero's kits and a game-changing ultimate becoming rather less game-changing is bound to damp players' enthusiasm.

So if Blizz decides to remove the whole kit of your main one day, replaces it with a self-stun and a spectator mode, but leaves your primary fire, you'll be okay since "the core gameplay hasn't changed"?

Sure, you can play current Mercy and pretend that her E and Q don't exist, while telling yourself that you're just playing 1.0 Mercy without ult, and it will be just some levels lamer than the original. And also called throwing, I think.
02/01/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Dysvalence
02/01/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Bergmaniac
...So less rezzes means rezbot,more rezzes means not a rezbot? This seems...illogical.

I don't expect current Mercy to keep up the same number of rezzes, and it appears that this was the devs' intent.

Their intent when they made the initial rework was clearly to increase the number of rezzes significantly. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the cooldown of the Rez ability only 30 seconds and wouldn't have added the reset and reduce bonuses to this cooldown during the initial form of Valkyrie. Right after the patch first hit live, the stats showed that the number of rezzes per games had gone up 80% - http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/09/patch-115-analysis-mercy-reviving.html . Then the devs saw that Mercy is too OP this way and started gradually to nerf rez both during Valk and outside of it.
@AngelOfLife
"You do realize that zen ult is like a spectator mode as well? Same with soldiers? and Torbs? And like half the other characters like dva?"

Only it's almost literally impossible for your team to die when you are next to them in transcendence. Soldier gets an aim bot and then runs around gunning people down. That's about as far from a spectator mode there is. Torbjorn gets a massive boost in armor, attack speed, and his turret becomes supercharged. He is not expect to stand back and hold M1, he is expected to charge in there and murder everyone with his turret covering him. Dva throws a 1000 damage bomb into the fight and makes the entire enemy team run. Spectator mode much?
02/01/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Tarshaid

So if Blizz decides to remove the whole kit of your main one day, replaces it with a self-stun and a spectator mode, but leaves your primary fire, you'll be okay since "the core gameplay hasn't changed"?

Sure, you can play current Mercy and pretend that her E and Q don't exist, while telling yourself that you're just playing 1.0 Mercy without ult, and it will be just some levels lamer than the original. And also called throwing, I think.
If all ults were removed, most characters wouldn't play all that differently if you ignore balance, with the exceptions being 1.0 Mercy, and to an extent Sombra and Symmetra. I was hoping the rework would fix this for Mercy and it didn't, but a revert doesn't fix this either.
02/01/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Bergmaniac
02/01/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Dysvalence

I don't expect current Mercy to keep up the same number of rezzes, and it appears that this was the devs' intent.

Their intent when they made the initial rework was clearly to increase the number of rezzes significantly. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the cooldown of the Rez ability only 30 seconds and wouldn't have added the reset and reduce bonuses to this cooldown during the initial form of Valkyrie. Right after the patch first hit live, the stats showed that the number of rezzes per games had gone up 80% - http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/09/patch-115-analysis-mercy-reviving.html . Then the devs saw that Mercy is too OP this way and started gradually to nerf rez both during Valk and outside of it.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/03/overwatch-lead-jeff-kaplan-on-moira-mercys-troubles-and-fixing-toxicity/

GamesBeat: Mercy has been through a lot of changes this year. Her Mass Resurrection was a problem. Then you changed it to the single-target res. Did you think that would be a nerf or a buff?

Kaplan: The goal — I’m about to tell you the goal and it’s going to make us sound like miserable failures. But the goal was to lessen the impact of resurrect overall on the game, and then also change Mercy’s play style so it was never wrong for Mercy to heal her teammates.

The rework was a mess and the first iteration was an absolute failure that should have been fixed quickly but wasn't. They still intended to reduce rezzes though.
The things that made Mercy fun were the gamesaving mass rez plays and being able to dash around the battle field. The rework + repeated nerfs took away both.
Yeah, it was such an amazing idea to give Mercy a regular ability, something that should be able to be used whenever, that is so situational that it can hardly be used during team fights when it is the most helpful! That isn’t frustrating at all!
02/01/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Bergmaniac
The number of rezes per match increased dramatically after the rework. So if they intended to make her less of a resbot, they utterly failed at it.
yeah no kidding, after Mercy's rework went up in Season 6, I was getting 30-40 SR in wins because of getting 15+ rezes a game. This was because the system rewarded Mercy players with more SR because of Rezes back then and if I put up 12K Healing, holy crap did I have absurd SR gains.