INACTIVITY while defending at ctf

General Discussion
Hey there.

So i've posted this problem before. It just happened again a while before.
Symmetra was defending the base. Suddenly she logs off.
When she comes back she explains: She got disconnected due to inactivity.
Since nobody attacked our base for a while, the system thinks she is inactive (cause she's attacking nobody), while in fact she is only defending, watching for flankers.

I propose two things to resolve this problem

1. Completely remove disconnection for inactivity from CTF games, specially competitive.

2. Remove disconnection for inactivity between a radius of your team's flag.

The second one would allow players really afk to get disconnected, usefull for non-competitive.
This would be good. The AFK Timer in this game is beyond stupid. Players shouldn't be punished for defending their flag.
It shouldn't disconnect them unless they're literally not moving. Pressing any movement keys or attack keys should stop the kick. Otherwise, it's a bug.
On one hand, this probably should be fixed.

On the other hand, sitting back to "defend the flag" is a stupid strategy, and I'm highly amused about people being kicked for playing badly.

That said, you shouldn't be kicked for playing badly. So I reluctantly agree.
Sadly this happens when I play Widow HS only. I'm so bad that the game thinks I'm inactive because I can't hit a headshot. RIP
I play Symmetra on all my ctf comp games and I have never gotten that warning. You can't stay in defense all the time if no one is coming over. You have to go out there and chuck a few orbs to help your team. Don't just stay in defense doing nothing all game.
Why would you ever stand still and do nothing to keep the server registering your activity unless you were actually afk? Getting kicked for inactivity is easily avoided. Not helping a push / engaging the enemy for that long a period is hurting you and your team far more than helping. The system isn't broken.
Im sorry but this is completely innacurate, IF the timer comes up you just have to move and it will go away, however if you keep not participating on the fight it will warn you that you wont gain EXP from that game.

IF you actually get kicked its because you were not moving AT ALL and that is not the games fault, its the players fault.
While we're on the same subject, I'd like to know if I get less SR because I'm defending rather that capturing.
02/13/2018 02:22 PMPosted by Delfino
Why would you ever stand still and do nothing to keep the server registering your activity unless you were actually afk? Getting kicked for inactivity is easily avoided. Not helping a push / engaging the enemy for that long a period is hurting you and your team far more than helping. The system isn't broken.

So, while fully knowing that Winston and Lucio can sneak up on the flag at any time, you must leave the flag and find someone to shoot?

02/13/2018 02:18 PMPosted by FriendlyFire
On the other hand, sitting back to "defend the flag" is a stupid strategy, and I'm highly amused about people being kicked for playing badly.

And, you suggest the whole team of all 6 men should go take enemy flag, no one should "sit back" to defend the flag, even if Winston and Lucio can sneak around?
You aren't playing = get kicked. Get off your lazy !@# and help your team. Even when you're defending, you should still be doing something.
The timer can be really annoying in certain modes in the game browser >:(
the timer makes hide and seek nearly unplayable and if you cant head shot in hs only you're getting kicked
So today I was playing Symmetra in random heroes, specifically the Temple of Anubis. I wanted to hang back so I could use her ult for once.
After I failed to chase off the (good) Lucio who broke it, I went back to putting out suppressive fire, shields, and running around the point. Need to be ready in case the enemy flanks or breaks through.
Suddenly I get an inactivity countdown, which only stopped when I charged at the enemy and inflicted damage.

Clearly there is something wrong here.

I've been there too Husker.
02/13/2018 02:17 PMPosted by Gaze
It shouldn't disconnect them unless they're literally not moving. Pressing any movement keys or attack keys should stop the kick. Otherwise, it's a bug.

You are wrong.
There's a dissconnection timer that checks if you have been in action.

AKA if you don't attack for a while, you get disconnected
02/13/2018 02:22 PMPosted by Delfino

Dude..... even if you move around endlessly at the flag you will be kicked.
You need to actively attack or be hit by someone to be unflagged. Its stupid, esp for CTF.
I've played Sym a number of times. If there's nothing for you to do, then make something for you to do.

Shoot orbs into the enemy base while your team is pushing.

If your team has the flag, run up to them and throw out a barrier to make retreating easier.

Actively watch for flankers, don't just sit in a corner until you hear one close by.

If you're getting kicked for not doing anything with her, then you're seriously not doing anything and might as well be kicked.
Move around to check the top and bottom flanking corridors, spam orbs down paths, put a few sentry turrets mid map, spam orbs at enemy flag point from mid if they are all set up on defense and not pushing your flag, lots of things you can do as symm so you don't get kicked.

I play lots of Symm, never gotten a warning for inactivity in any mode. You should still be engaging and doing things against the enemy.
02/13/2018 03:22 PMPosted by VirgoBro96
You aren't playing = get kicked. Get off your lazy !@# and help your team. Even when you're defending, you should still be doing something.

One time, when I was playing Sym on CTF, a Lucio kept on flanking. I was the only one defending the point, and the Lucio kept on going without his team to try to capture the flag. Thnakfully, I stopped him every thime (even though I suck with Sym lol).

Defending, at least one person, is necessary to CTF.
I played Torb, the only one defending our flag. At the beginning, I even got gold medal for damage and kills when enemies pushed hard. Later, only Winston and Lucio lurked around. I couldn't chased after them of course, and couldn't get a shot, then was kicked.

Next time, when I saw the timer, I left the flag. Guess what? Lucio immediately captured the flag, wall rode, no one could catch him, of course.

So, what should I do?
02/13/2018 02:25 PMPosted by BerserkWolf
Im sorry but this is completely innacurate, IF the timer comes up you just have to move and it will go away, however if you keep not participating on the fight it will warn you that you wont gain EXP from that game.

IF you actually get kicked its because you were not moving AT ALL and that is not the games fault, its the players fault.

No, you can't just move to make it go away. I've gotten this warning before while I was actively moving around near the flag and shooting randomly. I got close to being kicked one time when I was fortunate enough to encounter an enemy in time to hit them and make the warning go away.

It's the game's overly strict AFK policy at fault. If you're actively moving around, you're literally not AFK by definition. Blizzard needs to change this.

It's akin to forcing your one and only doctor to leave your safe encampment for a while in a zombie apocalypse. It's completely moronic and unnecessary.
There should be no need to force defenders to advance towards the enemy's flag if they never make an advance on yours. You should never want to leave your flag open for a surprise capture.