Competitive is 50% luck

General Discussion
Highly Rated
If you are playing solo queue a lot is determined by pure luck.
Games are lost in hero select.
This is why the game is toxic.
Changes pls
No

This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name
02/14/2018 03:46 AMPosted by Momaq
Games are lost in hero select.

If you are go with the mindset of losing or failing, of course that will happen most of the time. As much as this sound cliche, don't give up. Simple as that. You might not work together with the randoms you have been thrown together, but try your best and hope on to the next one my dude. Also, learn to point out your own mistake, majority of the time players find it easier to blame others rather than themselves, see what you might have done wrong or where you went wrong.
The better you are, the more impact you usually have. If you're better than your actual elo, you gonna win more than you lose.
Elohell doesn't exist, neither does luck in this game.
02/14/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Cloud
The better you are, the more impact you usually have. If you're better than your actual elo, you gonna win more than you lose.

Luck does exist.
It's bad luck if you get put with people who just have a bad game including yourself. Bad luck when you get people on tour team who are all DPS mains. Bad luck when you get a smurf who destroys your team
Bad luck is also when you think it's only hitting you and nobody else and that's why you're stuck.
Solo que takes a level of skill imo.
You need to be ready to do anything.

I am not a healer main, but half of this season has been spent healing.

Next you need to get a beat on your team and the enemy. How good are they?
Just because someone picked a counter, does not mean it will be effective.
With a poor team composition last night it took me a few switches to find what we needed. Turned out it was bastion.
The enemy team became disorganized when i started mowing them down. Still couldn't recover in the next round.

But the most important thing for solo is communication. Nothing happens without it.

Hmmm... Two days ago, I lost 4 games due to a troll. We reported him in the first game, but due to player pool scarcity some of us ended to play again with him over and over. He and his party mate picked dps. What would you have picked to save the day? I tried Roadhog. I hooked the first flanker, then what? I picked Orisa. Their tracer was killing our supports all the time, because of no dmg. I picked Ana. I killed Pharah, I darted DVa and then their Zen killed me.
no it's https://youtu.be/T4kmytPqVZQ?t=28 50% pain is epecially true
02/14/2018 04:12 AMPosted by Night

Hmmm... Two days ago, I lost 4 games due to a troll. We reported him in the first game, but due to player pool scarcity some of us ended to play again with him over and over. He and his party mate picked dps. What would you have picked to save the day? I tried Roadhog. I hooked the first flanker, then what? I picked Orisa. Their tracer was killing our supports all the time, because of no dmg. I picked Ana. I killed Pharah, I darted DVa and then their Zen killed me.

I would've waited with queuing to not get him again? Next time other people, maybe the enemy team has the guy and he'll ruin their game. Everybody has guys like this one. You'll still get higher up over time if you're better than your actual rating.

OP IS GOD DAMN RIGHT!

Easy way to fix this:

Bonus points for ppl getting much golds or are most on fire.
Bonus points for heal amount.
etc.
02/14/2018 04:31 AMPosted by sickgaming

OP IS GOD DAMN RIGHT!

Easy way to fix this:

etc.

So.. encouraging one tricking even more?
Great idea.
02/14/2018 04:31 AMPosted by sickgaming

OP IS GOD DAMN RIGHT!

Easy way to fix this:

etc.

Or just "Avoid this player on my team" option.
This way it can't be abused like "Avoid this player" was.
You would have to get rid of heroes and classes in order to fix that. There is a reason why normal FPS games dont have this problem.

Thus never gonna change. Only way is to change the mentality of players as much as we can, together, changing the community for the better
i love signing up for competitive and running into two level 600+ players in my platinum rated game. and they insta lock widow and sombra. (duo'd)

2 other players were silent, typical. and the other 2 players were pretty unhappy that we had no forwards pushing power.

guess which team won? can you guess? ill let you guys wonder for a minute which team got the win, and which team got the loss.

its ok tho, in the last 15 seconds the widow switches to symmetra and the sombra switched to bastion.

did they just mistake this as arcade? will i be refunded my 30 SR i lost for that game, because I horribly underperformed with lots of deaths and no elims. clearly.

He didn't say elohell existed (or didn't exist).

In any case, when you're good enough to have a 60%+ Winrate, while climbing is inevitable (until you reach where you're supposed to be at least), you're still losing 40% of your games.

Luck is still a massive factor in matchmaking. It determines;

Whether you have OTP's, especially multiple OTP's of the same hero.

Whether your team can field a basic 2/2/2, or whether the dude with a combined 2-3 hours on Tanks/Supports ended up playing (and sucking at) Dva.

Whether you have smurfs, throwers, derankers, trolls, etc in the game.

Unless matchmaking is done completely manually, there's always going to be an element of luck in online team-based games. The nature of OW's competitive system (VERY loose SR grouping, no role-select, easy to smurf in, etc) makes OW Comp far more luck-based than other games competitive ladders.
That's why I prefer to play support heroes that can defend themselves along with doing some clutch moments.
ha i wish it would be only about luck. In fact the matchmakingsystem is playing against you. You are the problem and there is an algorithm to efficiently solve the problem. Unfortunately Blizzard doesn't want to talk about how it works in detail. They don't want that players will actively abuse it. That does not mean that no one knows about it or that players fulfill certain criteria by pure luck.

i have 3 accounts and soon they will be 1000 SR apart from each other.
I am constantly practicing, getting better and also losing more than ever!
Atleast the statistics are not faked.
And all this probably because i don't fulfill some secret hero-metrics, so they put me into the losing-brackets. There must be something like this, matchmaking isn't random at all. Matchoutcome is predetermined by the matchmaking system.

On this account my enemies are so bad, it is not uncommon that players say "report him for hacking" and stuff like this. I get 61 Kills 20k dmg, 70% of the matches i am on fire, have to push the payload alone and if i am lucky we win 6:5. This is the definition of carrying and i should get more SR than someone who gives a crap. But i get 25SR anyway, does not matter what i do.
If i lose a match, it's -40SR for me. (No one can perform well, if your team doesn't perform at all)

I think especially flex-players / players who will fill the gap in the team are getting screwed by the matchmaking system. The same thing could happen to me in bronze-league too, i have no doubts.
"Git gud" is not a valid statement. If the matchmaking system wants that you lose in bronze league, you will lose in bronze league.

I really would like to hear from Blizzard that matchmaking is completely random within the SR-playerpool and such things as "loser/winner"-brackets do not exist.
02/14/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Cloud
02/14/2018 04:12 AMPosted by Night

I would've waited with queuing to not get him again? Next time other people, maybe the enemy team has the guy and he'll ruin their game. Everybody has guys like this one. You'll still get higher up over time if you're better than your actual rating.

It may surprise you, but you are not the only person with more than 20 IQ around. :)

Do you really believe I didn't try that? These games were not consequent. The only solution to this is either keep joining until he is in the other team, or stop playing. If I have to stop playing every time I engage a jerk, then let's uninstall it and keep on with my life.
smurfing is fun, I get 99% PotG as Genji.

Can't wait to be lvl 25.