Doomfist Ammo Recovery - Additional Improvement

PTR Feedback
I speak as a player who played a lot of doomfist, and i speak from a position of frustration about his reload mechanic.

The new change to doomfist's ammo recovery rate is definitely a buff, and a welcome one. Going from .8s reload to .65 will feel better. But it doesn't address my personal frustration with his reload.

The frustration comes from the fact that his ammo recovery timer resets at every shot, so when i try to space shots to conserve ammo, i actually hurt myself because it makes my reload times longer. So instead of conserving ammo by spacing them, to have more ammo if i happen to engage, i just happen to prolong my reload times.

Imagine that if whenever tracer blinked, her blink reload timer would start over instead of continuing. That's my frustration with his reload mechanic, that the ammo recovery timer starts over instead of being paused.

For example, if the bullet is 50ms from being reloaded, and doomfist shoots, the reload starts over from 800ms(old value) and ticks down, instead of resuming from 50ms.

Just removing this reset might mean too much of a buff, so i think the best way to make it not annoying for the doomfist player, and not make him spam shots because they reload like crazy, is to introduce a pause for the ammo recovery timer. instead of a full reset.

Instead of resetting the timer back to 800ms after a shot, just pause the reload timer at whatever time it is, for a period of time, like 150ms or 200ms. I believe these numbers would be better balanced by the balance team than me, so look at 150/200ms as just templates, find out whats better at testing phase. Maybe that's too fast or too slow, i don't really know.

But i know for sure pausing instead of resetting would be much less frustrating.

I personally would even be okay with making his ammo recovery rate slower than the new 650ms if it would not reset the ammo recovery rate timer on a shot.

TL;DR don't reset the ammo recovery timer on a shot, pause it for some time. Adjust the total reload time to balance this change and make it reasonable.
I fully agree with this. The fact that it fully resets the reload time just messes with the time you have to wait between shots too much.
I wouldn't care less if his reload was the same 0.8 per bullet so long as shooting paused the reloading instead of reset it.
02/14/2018 11:44 AMPosted by iSinner
I speak as a player who played a lot of doomfist, and i speak from a position of frustration about his reload mechanic.

The new change to doomfist's ammo recovery rate is definitely a buff, and a welcome one. Going from .8s reload to .65 will feel better. But it doesn't address my personal frustration with his reload.

The frustration comes from the fact that his ammo recovery timer resets at every shot, so when i try to space shots to conserve ammo, i actually hurt myself because it makes my reload times longer. So instead of conserving ammo by spacing them, to have more ammo if i happen to engage, i just happen to prolong my reload times.

Imagine that if whenever tracer blinked, her blink reload timer would start over instead of continuing. That's my frustration with his reload mechanic, that the ammo recovery timer starts over instead of being paused.

For example, if the bullet is 50ms from being reloaded, and doomfist shoots, the reload starts over from 800ms(old value) and ticks down, instead of resuming from 50ms.

Just removing this reset might mean too much of a buff, so i think the best way to make it not annoying for the doomfist player, and not make him spam shots because they reload like crazy, is to introduce a pause for the ammo recovery timer. instead of a full reset.

Instead of resetting the timer back to 800ms after a shot, just pause the reload timer at whatever time it is, for a period of time, like 150ms or 200ms. I believe these numbers would be better balanced by the balance team than me, so look at 150/200ms as just templates, find out whats better at testing phase. Maybe that's too fast or too slow, i don't really know.

But i know for sure pausing instead of resetting would be much less frustrating.

I personally would even be okay with making his ammo recovery rate slower than the new 650ms if it would not reset the ammo recovery rate timer on a shot.

TL;DR don't reset the ammo recovery timer on a shot, pause it for some time. Adjust the total reload time to balance this change and make it reasonable.

I agree, but also believe that the hand cannon isn't where they should be looking to make him more viable. The changes are great and all, just...not enough.
I would really like to see a small buff to his passive. Instead of +30 maybe 35 or 40 per enemy hit with abilities.
02/14/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Duke
I wouldn't care less if his reload was the same 0.8 per bullet so long as shooting paused the reloading instead of reset it.

Personally i am in the same boat.
02/14/2018 10:09 PMPosted by Siqsicsix
I would really like to see a small buff to his passive. Instead of +30 maybe 35 or 40 per enemy hit with abilities.

The problem with that is, if he got more shields, it would actually make him kind of good, and apparently that isn't what they wanted for the hero.
Reworking the passive could also have some impact, perhaps altering how exactly he gets his shields from each ability... They could transition it to a percentage for damage done on rocket punch, seismic slam and meteor strike and keep uppercut at a flat 40 or so.
maybe shield should be generated based on amount of damage you deal
02/16/2018 08:43 AMPosted by krzysiu

That might work

When DF came out i actually thought it would work like that. First thing i checked was if it is damage dependent.
02/18/2018 03:42 AMPosted by iSinner

When DF came out i actually thought it would work like that. First thing i checked was if it is damage dependent.

Since 2 of his abilities have varied damage, it WOULD make sense for it to work that way, but it doesn't :/