why so careful with Mei?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
what reason is there to be so careful with Mei? it would take a lot to make her OP.

in the past Blizzard wasn't afraid to give another underpowered defense hero big buffs.

Mei has always been in a worse spot than Junkrat, yet almost every part of Junkrat's kit was buffed. his ult buffed, his primary fire buffed, and his mine was doubled. but Mei gets barely anything. where's the rhyme and reason here?
Highly Rated
Because she slows the game down and slow isn’t esports
02/14/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Eggcelsior

barriers slow the game down even more yet orisa got huge buffs since she launched.

Because she would become a thread to Tracer/Genji
Highly Rated
They said they're afraid of making her feel "oppressive." Being frozen in place for a couple seconds could be seen as highly unfun to play against and make her a troublesome hero. Making her strong against mobility also makes her very oppressive to heroes that can't escape her.

Does that warrant her to be in such a bad spot? No, not really. It's just the way they designed her kit and want her to play that's limiting her potential buffs.

I kinda wish they'd be more risky with her, though. She's a great hero and could be the anti-mobility we need.
As someone who get burned with Roadhog and Mercy I'm afraid of any change to my hero and rather have them UP then changed. Sure more ammo is good and fix some bugs but that's all don't start any crazy things.
They could make her freeze shorter, but make enemies take more damage while frozen.
In every type of video game, in every type of sport, people hate defensive play, even though it's what wins games.

Everybody wants to be the quarterback getting the winning touchdown. Mei is that evil defensive line that sacks your star.

Look at what happened to Street Fighter V. No real defensive characters.

As the person above me correctly said: E sports hates slow defensive play. E sports is literally changing how games are balanced and created. Its disgusting.
Because if they put fake patch notes giving Mei real buffs the forums would explode for at least three weeks arguing about how Mei is OP right now before they realize that none of the buffs actually existed.
She def needs something alot bigger than small tweaks to her kit. If being frozen is too much of an issue then just stay out of her range? She has no mobility.
02/14/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Skyfoogle

Mei has always been in a worse spot than Junkrat, yet almost every part of Junkrat's kit was buffed. his ult buffed, his primary fire buffed, and his mine was doubled. but Mei gets barely anything. where's the rhyme and reason here?

This is literally not true, she was in the meta during season 2/3 when her ult could be charged much faster, when they 'fixed' that she dropped out. She was heavily used in tournaments and world cup
I actually find Mei to be a great fast paced hero to watch and play. Yes, she is underpowered more than is let on... But if fixed, I think she would bring a lot to this game in terms of eSports and competitive mode.

These buffs are buffs but they don't address the core issues highlighted often in the Mei megathread. The new changes don't really counter mobility, it just makes it frustrating for the heroes she already could freeze easily. The extra shots aren't a big deal either as there's a lot of drawbacks to using her primary. It's super deadly in the right hands but majority inconsistent

Her ultimate is also weak and inconsistent. It should freeze faster or have some type of effects to slow more.

Her wall could have some new mechanics as well. See Mei megathread for many brilliant ideas.
She could easily become really obnoxious really quickly, and that triggers esports players
02/14/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Skyfoogle
it would take a lot to make her OP.

You answered your own question with this.

The reason you do things slowly is because doing a lot has a higher potential of making a character overbuffed.

Honestly, I wish they would take this approach with more re-works, nerfs, and buffs to characters. When they do a ton to buff a character it is often to much and when they do a ton to nerf a character it is also often to much.

Baby steps are better.
Slow her freeze rate but make anyone under the effects of it unable to use movement abilities.

This makes her less effective against characters with no mobility skills, but makes her extremely useful against flankers like Genji and Tracer who she should be effective against, but isn't.

It's a drastic change, but I'd welcome a shakeup at this point.
It's not to do with slowing down esports. As Jeff has said in the past they have to be cautious balancing Mei as her becoming to strong is incredibly oppressive.
I get that people want her to counter Tracer and Genji, but most fail to consider how that would heavily impact on the rest of the roster who don't have the same levels of mobility.
Rather than trying to make one hero counter an entire meta, they're buffing multiple heroes in different ways to deal with it, such as the new changes that just came to Sombra.

02/14/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Maxy

Because she would become a thread to Tracer/Genji

She'd become a forum post?
I don't understand why her bugs, which she has for months, hasn't been fixed yet.

Wth.

Is it normal to get stunned out of Cryo-Freeze and putting it on cooldown?
Honestly, I think they should completely remove the Freeze part, but then increase the primary fire damage (And her ultimate) and make it disable movement abilities while you are affected by the slow. This would turn her unto a threat to High Mobility heroes while still allowing others to fight back.

Yes, this would reduce her effectiveness against heroes without Movement abilities, but let's be honest here: What we need is a anti-flanker that is actually reliable (Not Jesse McCree) and she will be able to fight back the not mobile heroes with her alt fire which deal a very respectable damage.

I think it would be a fair trade-off for being able to shut down these pesky flankers.
Because there are fewer awful things in OW than the idea of being oppressed by buffed Meis running around all over the place.

That's why Mei is so difficult to balance, I'd wager.
Favoritism, I feel like blizzard doesn't WANT to buff certain heroes into a viable spot because they may screw up the meta and create a meta that is boring to watch in OWL.

For example: People would rather watch genji do his stuff instead of a torb/bastion doing their business.

Imo they care more for OWL than the actual casual side.