why so careful with Mei?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Yep, Better buff her like Mercy and nerf her for the next 2-3 months in every patch.
02/14/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Kawagima
Honestly, I think they should completely remove the Freeze part, but then increase the primary fire damage (And her ultimate) and make it disable movement abilities while you are affected by the slow. This would turn her unto a threat to High Mobility heroes while still allowing others to fight back.

Yes, this would reduce her effectiveness against heroes without Movement abilities, but let's be honest here: What we need is a anti-flanker that is actually reliable (Not Jesse McCree) and she will be able to fight back the not mobile heroes with her alt fire which deal a very respectable damage.

I think it would be a fair trade-off for being able to shut down these pesky flankers.

I'd be okay with this too. This would give Mei a true niche as an effective crowd control support character.

I know some Mei players wouldn't like losing freeze, but it would make her a much more valuable pick than what she is in her current state.
honestly regardless of if she needs it or not, who in their right minds would even consider buffing any character that has as many bugs as her. Fix those first, see where she stands then, then consider buffing.
02/14/2018 03:24 PMPosted by FrozenWaifu
She def needs something alot bigger than small tweaks to her kit. If being frozen is too much of an issue then just stay out of her range? She has no mobility.

This is an objective-based game, so, naturally, someone has to be close to her at some point as part of the game win condition. As such, changes need to be incremental and minor so that she does not feel overwhelming to play against. Mei is already the queen of griefers, so there is no need to make that worse with a large batch of major changes.
I think the dev just don’t care that much since not many people main her and not many cares anyway, think about those interaction bugs with mei’s wall and other abilities, sadly that is the case with all low pick rate or so called ‘situational’ heros, not to say Mei has the lowest pickrate overall.
I assume they want to avoid another situation like Mercy 2.0

Besides, when the game was first released, Mei was considered fairly annoying(even though she got nothing but buffs since release), there's a reason she is nicknamed 'devil'.

I want to see Mei buffed as much as you do, but i'd rather have the devs take a careful, slow approach to buffing her to avoid making her overpowered. It's best we wait for the current buffs to hit live, then observe how much her win&pickrate rise, and then determine whether she needs more buffs.
Be glad. if you aren't careful, you end up with a Mercy situation. Neither side wins.

You don't want your main stripped down to nothingness, my friend. It does not feel good.
I’m honestly happy about this. The extra freeze time is huge for her. If you freeze someone. It’s pretty much gueranteed headshots. Also it holds d.va longer in place so she will counter her better. I hope it sticks so we can see how it helps her
02/14/2018 03:37 PMPosted by MisterB
Favoritism, I feel like blizzard doesn't WANT to buff certain heroes into a viable spot because they may screw up the meta and create a meta that is boring to watch in OWL.

For example: People would rather watch genji do his stuff instead of a torb/bastion doing their business.

Imo they care more for OWL than the actual casual side.

We already know that's not true given the huge buff Sombra just got this patch that significantly bricks Genji and dive heroes in general.
They're paranoid about making her "oppressive".
We have to be careful with buffing satan. The name is undeserved atm but there's a reason why it stuck.

And they're afraid of making changes too fast because they want console to keep up and certification takes a while. Which is stupid but beside the point.
02/14/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Rythix
They said they're afraid of making her feel "oppressive."
*cough cough* Widowmaker and Junkrat in pro play *cough cough*
the 2 additional shots is huge, she can one shot a dva mech after freeze. Sometime it was always 1-2 shots short.
02/14/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Avensol
02/14/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Rythix
They said they're afraid of making her feel "oppressive."
*cough cough* Widowmaker and Junkrat in pro play *cough cough*
Yeah their idea of oppressive is highly subjective and speaks volumes about their agenda.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Mei get some time in the sun for a bit. Make her OP for a little while. Why not?
As much as I love to see Mei buffed, she's infuriating to fight against.
02/14/2018 03:29 PMPosted by RiotRhythm
She could easily become really obnoxious really quickly, and that triggers esports players

Not just the pros. Casual players even more so would get frustrated from playing against Mei while she's in a prime spot. A lot of people don't seem to realize how anti-fun Mei can be if she becomes strong enough to be meta.

I'm already sick of Pharah's unhealthy gameplay design. We don't need more of it.
02/14/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Skyfoogle
what reason is there to be so careful with Mei? it would take a lot to make her OP.

in the past Blizzard wasn't afraid to give another underpowered defense hero big buffs.

Mei has always been in a worse spot than Junkrat, yet almost every part of Junkrat's kit was buffed. his ult buffed, his primary fire buffed, and his mine was doubled. but Mei gets barely anything. where's the rhyme and reason here?

It actually wouldn't take much to make Mei OP.

Mei's ult used to be like 2 metres bigger and that was the difference between Mei in nearly every game to Mei is a troll pick.

They should be careful with Mei.
02/14/2018 03:32 PMPosted by MrTickles
02/14/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Skyfoogle
it would take a lot to make her OP.

You answered your own question with this.

The reason you do things slowly is because doing a lot has a higher potential of making a character overbuffed.

Honestly, I wish they would take this approach with more re-works, nerfs, and buffs to characters. When they do a ton to buff a character it is often to much and when they do a ton to nerf a character it is also often to much.

Baby steps are better.
Because they didn’t just dump potentially 20 buffs on sombra alone. With only one fall back being ult charge
The problem with mei is you can be pretty horrid on her and still get a lot of value

Also the term anti fun gets thrown out a lot but playing vs a mei is really annoying sometimes and these forums would explode pretty fast

If they're going to buff her she's another one of those heroes that needs to have the skill cap increased and not just a flat buff
02/14/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Rivini
02/14/2018 03:29 PMPosted by RiotRhythm
She could easily become really obnoxious really quickly, and that triggers esports players

Not just the pros. Casual players even more so would get frustrated from playing against Mei while she's in a prime spot. A lot of people don't seem to realize how anti-fun Mei can be if she becomes strong enough to be meta.

I'm already sick of Pharah's unhealthy gameplay design. We don't need more of it.

So whats the alternative? To just forget about Mei and leave her to rot?