How to fight Moira

General Discussion
02/15/2018 04:52 PMPosted by alfislegend
Teamwork counters every hero in the game. If that's a hero's only counter, that hero is OP

Fine, here's another counter. BURST damage! McCree, Hanzo and Pharah.

Need another? CQC characters! Tracer up in her face will outdmg her regen! Reaper since he's also burst and will dismantle her. McCree, flashbang FAN THE **************** HAMMER and Mei will freeze her in place and destroy her.

Now shut up, quit complaining, GIT GUD and leave Moira alone!

*slams door angrily*
My two cents, in my experience playing Moira, these are the heroes who have countered me hardest:

-Tracer. If Moira is caught unaware or with Fade on cooldown, she can be melted as easy as anyone else.
-Doomfist. I ran into a particularly good Doomfist last night and it was impossible to do anything against him. Too much health and shields, wasting time trying to actually kill him gives him ample room to line up a punch and stun or kill her.
-Reaper. This should be a no-brainer. He also has self-sustain. 250 HP. Wraith form. Better to run from Reaps.
-McCree. Flash + fth.
-Tanks. All tanks. Any tank. Unless your HP is very low, there’s no way Moira can win a duel with a tank.
-Zenyatta(!). Discord! Destroys! Moira!
-Junkrat. Let’s be real, Junkrat counters everyone if they’re on the ground and close enough.

Notice I did not say Genji. Because Genji does not counter Moira. In my experience, Genji is one of the easiest heroes to pick off. It has nothing to do with his kit, but everything to do with how Genji is played. A good Genji can kill Moira by landing his shots. The biggest mistake Genjis make when initiating a 1v1 with Moira is automatically deflecting when they start taking damage. I realize that’s habit, but it does nothing against Moira and it wastes time. Use that time to shoot her! And if your health gets low, RUN AWAY. It’s like it’s against the Genji Code of Honor to flee from battle. Run away, get healed up, maybe try again later and catch her unaware. It’s all about getting the jump on her. You can’t dive Moira headfirst and expect her to be an easy kill. You sneak up on Moira. OR, you improve your aim.
BURST. DAMAGE. Jeez is it really not that obvious that Moira does terribly against burst damage heroes? Doomfist, Torb, Soldier, Pharah, Junkrat, Hog, Zarya. All strong v Moira. USE THEM.
02/15/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Star
Don't 1v1 her
Just don't. Don't be stupid.

There's so many heroes that can actually duel her and win easily. Not genji though.
02/15/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Nethermoosen
02/15/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Evonoucono
Dps are easier to kill. Moira should be classified as a part tank because she can absorb so many bullets in her face without dying.

If the damage is inaccurate

Feel free to check my stats. Reguardless the worlds best soldier 76 (Dafran) lost a 1v1 against a moira during a competitive game. It was pretty funny to watch because he got mad at how much damage she can take.
Not saying its imbalanced, Moira is just a bullet sponge is all.
I just realized she's a ginger who legitimately drains souls.

Blizzard...
high damage, high healing*

corrected you there!
If a Tracer or Genji main made a similar thread for their own hero they'd probably be downvoted to hell.
02/15/2018 07:30 PMPosted by HanzoMaker
02/15/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Star
Don't 1v1 her
Just don't. Don't be stupid.

There's so many heroes that can actually duel her and win easily. Not genji though.

another baseless statement! whoopee!
Tracer/Gengu mains will never switch heroes, so there's really no point in coming up with ways to fight Moira.

itzliddat
Learn the value of DM. If Dva dives you on Moira what she gonna do?

This and Winston are the reason Moira ain't stopping a dive comp.

If you think she is OP then one trick her. Her weaknesses will start to show. She is not a good choice on wide open maps (ult fuel for Pharah or Widow) Good Tank players know to target her. There's nothing she can do to Pharah. She can't brawl with Reaper or tanks. High ground is also her enemy. Roadhog melts her. Dva ditto.

For an OP hero she has 3 hard counters and the class of tanks that are strong against her. Her ult is meh compared to higher damaging ones and defensive healing ones.
Roadhog literally denies her.
02/16/2018 12:49 AMPosted by Ashram

Not literally if your team doesn't do any follow up dmg after you hook her because hook combo never kills a 100% Moira and she fades away. Also good luck hooking her while she's shooting her ult all over the screen.
02/16/2018 12:54 AMPosted by Lights
02/16/2018 12:49 AMPosted by Ashram

Not literally if your team doesn't do any follow up dmg after you hook her because hook combo never kills a 100% Moira and she fades away. Also good luck hooking her while she's shooting her ult all over the screen.

In her ult just hook the middle of the big glow. Its probably one of the easiest ults in the game to counter.

Either way, Tracer, Sombra, Reaper, McCree, Pharah, junk, All the tanks, Doomfist, Mei and Zenyatta can all kill a Moira 1v1.

Yes, you have to outplay her, but doesn't that make her balanced? The one who plays better gets the kill.

If she uses her damage orb she cant heal, if she heals her damage suffers.
02/16/2018 12:31 AMPosted by huntinghawk
Learn the value of DM. If Dva dives you on Moira what she gonna do?

This and Winston are the reason Moira ain't stopping a dive comp.

If you think she is OP then one trick her. Her weaknesses will start to show. She is not a good choice on wide open maps (ult fuel for Pharah or Widow) Good Tank players know to target her. There's nothing she can do to Pharah. She can't brawl with Reaper or tanks. High ground is also her enemy. Roadhog melts her. Dva ditto.

I main Moira, and one weakness that can be painful at times, is that if the enemy team uses a lot of shields, and your team doesn't, then there will be a lot of incoming damage that you can't heal.
Your healing runs out, and you can't sap any heals (because they are behind the shields.) You are forced to go out of position to recharge, or wait for their shields to go down. Both are not favorable.

Also, if your team is running Winston and D.Va, it's probably best just to go Mercy. They are too mobile, require too much healing, and like to jump away from healing orbs.
My best tip is to not engage properly until she's used fade. Once her escape ability is on cooldown she's pretty easy to kill, provided you haven't used up all your resources. Get up in her face to minimize the chance of you missing (there's no downside to this, since she does the same damage at any range).

In short, don't use abilities like dash, hook etc, until fade is on cooldown. Then go all out.
I would say if you're consistently getting killed by a hero, stay away from that hero until you've practiced your skill to the point where you can effective fight against them.

Learn Moira's weaknesses and exploit them the same way you would any other hero.

Positioning is important when it comes to dealing with any hero, in any situation.

Finally, this is a team based game, so the person who does the better job coordinating with the team and working as a unit will always win the dual.