Is it time for network update?

Competitive Discussion
Hi, I am OW player since the beta and oh the days of 20hz tickrate updates... oh boy I felt like I was playing prediction game and not a twitch shooter.
After they introduced 63hz tickrate everything was much more responsive and real and we could improve ourselves and rage less about getting killed by diva bomb even though we reached behind the wall 2 seconds before it exploded.

Now it's time to upgrade the tickrate to 120hz. Overwatch is a very fast paced game where even milisecond means victory or lose. We all collectively as players increased our skill caps and are doing more every season. We are reaching the limit of 60hz tickrate update. More and more i am getting games where we manage to stand on the point just half a second before it expires to get into overtime to find out we didn't make it even though we were on the point before timer expired. Enemy and friendlies are together going on "Wow WTH I already reached the point before counter why is it over we could've had it!".

Second limit is the very near twitching. I am player who is pushing to the limit and is capable of doing split second getaways as tracer. Countless times i am getting killed by mcrees (stun), hogs(hooks), widows, even charged by reins... I will blink the moment before they fire and I will even complete the blink animation or will start moving in blink but will get repositioned back to the point of my death. Literally the game will pull me back to the position and watch how I die and when I watch killfeed it clearly shows I never even activated blink even though I could see blink animation finishing and positioning me to the other side on my screen before death.

Also things happening on soldier for example. I would fire the rocket in live or die split second situation I will see the rocket projecting and going through the model but the game will tell me I died and I didn't fire the rocket even though on my screen it fired and would most certainly kill the target.

If battlefield one can have 120 tickrate which is 10 times slower game with 64 players... I believe overwatch can have 120 tick rate with 12 players. Overwatch needs it a lot more then battlefield.
The game will feel much more responsive and we will be able to take our twitch shooter to the next level.
PS: If you are wondering... No i'm not lagging and I have 38 to 40 ms all the time. Never lag spikes of any sort completely stable network. Best in the country (soon to have 1gbit up stream and down stream) and I'm gaming at 250 fps avg minimum 180 fps.

*EDIT*
typos.
Your problems have nothing to do with frame rate, and everything to do with lag. It takes time for the actions of other players to reach your computer and for your game to respond to those actions. It also takes time for commands to go to and from Blizzard's servers that control the round timing.

This was what was wrong with Roadhog's original hook. It would hook people from around corners because of the time it took for actions to go between computers.
02/19/2018 02:07 PMPosted by pzero24
Your problems have nothing to do with frame rate, and everything to do with lag. It takes time for the actions of other players to reach your computer and for your game to respond to those actions. It also takes time for commands to go to and from Blizzard's servers that control the round timing.

This was what was wrong with Roadhog's original hook. It would hook people from around corners because of the time it took for actions to go between computers.

Did you just read the first sentence of 20hz/63hz and 120hz and assume I'm talking about frame rate? Do you even know what a tick rate is?
I very well know that everything has to do with lag and 120hz tick rate will actually drop the lag in half and make the game much more responsive as instead of having the game scan twice as fast and meaning you will see the players more realistically positioned as server will be able to provide more updates to player movements and server will be able to process who shot who and who snared who much more precisely.