Doomfist Counters (comprehensive list)

General Discussion
02/20/2018 04:28 AMPosted by Protoclown
02/20/2018 04:24 AMPosted by UpARayBan
Sombra - Yes, but dont see her much to begin with. So, eh.

Oh but you will!

And I cant wait. I actually might pick her up again. Looking forward to her changes.

Love me some Talon goons
02/20/2018 04:24 AMPosted by UpARayBan
This list is very, VERY exaggerated. Some true, some not, some kinda.

Yes he has quite a few counters, but not like your list.

Tracer - Isnt really a counter, per se, but thats more a duel that comes down to skill from either players. NO one says, ah they got a Doomfist, someone go Tracer. She can be a pest for him though defo.

Genji - No. Genji doesnt counter him.. lol. Deflect is useless against Doom, and again this comes down to skill from either players, just a matter of who outplays who.

Orisa - Yes. 100%. Its a shame people cried for nerfs for DF when they introduced a hero thats basically literally design DF in any way, straight afterwards.

Reaper - Eh, its a weird one. I can ruin reapers they can ruin me. Again, more of a duel. I can use RP to bait out Wraith then Slam and Uppercut to end him, or he can just two shot me in the process.

Hog - Yes. lol.

Bastion - Yes.

Widowmaker - This is a tricky one, because Doom can ruin immobile heroes, but if a widow keeps her distance, and snipe then yeah, but then again if you can reduce that distance significantly shes yours. But I can defo see Widow being a counter to him and visa versa. Again, comes to down to the skill of the players.

Hanzo - not so much as Widow, and his immobility and projectile shots make it so it can be avoided to an extent, but usually DF can ruin him. But the new changes, I cant say. No one can, so you shouldnt be.

Mcree - Yes, but relatively easier if he has no Flash.

Pharah - Yes.

Junkrat - ... Yeahhh kinda.. his spammy nature just denies him a lot of space he has to work with, and can defo be shredded.

Torb - Hmm, dont really encounter much torb as DF, if turret isnt on your a**, and even if it is youre quite beefy to soak it up, and can still E combo him, since hes quite immobile.

Zen - He should be yours for dinner. Znes mobility severely makes him a priority target for DF, and an easy one to. Hes not a counter to DF, if anything I'd say its the other way around.

Sombra - Yes, but dont see her much to begin with. So, eh.

The scales are still heavily weighted in Tracer and Genji's favour. It's virtually impossible to hit Tracer or Genji and it's much easier to outplay a Doomfist as Genji or Tracer than for a Doomfist to outplay either.
I think he now hit bastion out of sentry mode.
Also Reaper Genji Zen had a hard time pre nerf. He is much weaker now though
02/20/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Luci
The scales are still heavily weighted in Tracer and Genji's favour. It's virtually impossible to hit Tracer or Genji and it's much easier to outplay a Doomfist as Genji or Tracer than for a Doomfist to outplay either.

Of course it's in their favor, but the problem remains that if you buff Doom to more easily hit them, it punishes the rest of the cast in the process.

02/20/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Hawai
I think he now hit bastion out of sentry mode.

There was a temporary bug on the PTR recently that allowed this, but it was not intended, and I wouldn't expect to see Doom get buffed to do that anytime soon.
sadly DF rocket punch does counter genji but only deflect other than that genji does have a big adv
Somehow I fked up the quote so I'll put it like this

Posted by UpARayBan

Tracer - Isnt really a counter, per se, but thats more a duel that comes down to skill from either players. NO one says, ah they got a Doomfist, someone go Tracer. She can be a pest for him though defo.

Genji - No. Genji doesnt counter him.. lol. Deflect is useless against Doom, and again this comes down to skill from either players, just a matter of who outplays who.

Widowmaker - This is a tricky one, because Doom can ruin immobile heroes, but if a widow keeps her distance, and snipe then yeah, but then again if you can reduce that distance significantly shes yours. But I can defo see Widow being a counter to him and visa versa. Again, comes to down to the skill of the players.

I have to disagree with you in these 3.

-Tracer IS a counter to DF. The fact that he can kill a Tracer if she plays bad doesn't make her not a counter. I've killed turret Bastions and ulting Bastions in 1v1 situations as DF, but that doesn't make it less of a counter. Tracer counters DF basically because the outcome of the duel is entirely in her hands. If she is bad, she will lose, but if she is good, DF won't even touch her, because she has every tool she needs to kill him without losing a single health point. Also, her guns shred DF due to his huge hitbox.

-Genji IS ALSO A COUNTER to DF. Not one that's impossible to play against for sure, but still a counter. The reason is basically the same as the reason why Tracer counters DF, he has every tool he needs to kill DF without losing a single health point. The result of the duel comes from the way the Genji plays, not the DF's. Many people don't think this way, and it is understandable taking into account that most Genji's don't know how to play against DF because he isn't seen too often. But the truth is that Genji has a super easy time against DF thanks to his vertical mobility, as long as he plays in the correct way. Double jump and wall climb can avoid every single ability from DF while Genij can still shoot him (well, or throw shurikens), and the fact that Rocket Punch and Swift Strike have such a weird and non-sensical interaction doesn't help.

-Widowmaker is also a huge counter to DF, and it is not because she can shoot him from the distance or whatever, it's mainly due to her grapple and the fact that she usually stands in the high ground. The high ground allows Widowmaker to avoid entirely DF's Seismic Slam just by jumping off of that high ground, as DF's SS will just vanish in the air even if it should have hit her. Also, her grapple allows her to escape from his SS + RU combo.

To sum up, these 3 heroes have a big advantage over DF, and in an even 1v1 fight where both know what they are doing and how to play against each other, it is in their hands to kill DF without letting him touch them. DF will only win if his rivals make a mistake, otherwise he will lose to them 100% of the time.

I'm a Masters DF main with close to a 60% winrate btw, in case you were wondering why the !@#$ do I dare to talk about him and his counters.
Doomfist can kill all of these, so called counters, with a single punch, gain shield and leap back into safety
Not to worry with the upcoming PTR changes he will be even harder to play since sombra absolutely destroy him and mei will wreck him aswell.

02/20/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Fsouza87
Doomfist can kill all of these, so called counters, with a single punch, gain shield and leap back into safety

You expect everyone to play without sound than the grrrrraaaaaaaaaaah when he charges up is loud AF and never gets good players by surprise.
And everyone wanted Doomfist nerfed...

Look where that lead us huh.

He can, which is why it's a tough thing to balance around, but I suppose the more important question to ask is "How often does he reliably have a chance to kill them [without dying] during the normal course of play?"
Maybe every hero should be limited like this. Too many omni useful heroes
02/20/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Sheevah

He can, which is why it's a tough thing to balance around, but I suppose the more important question to ask is "How often does he reliably have a chance to kill them [without dying] during the normal course of play?"

I think he has good chances. And he can even use a lighter punch and throw people out of the, lets say, arena. The thing is, just like you say it and I thank you for that(people dont like to admitit it), is hard to balance something extremely powerful as a hitkill. As long as he gets that ability will be complicated.

Right now, the guy is saying that anyone that can shot him first is a counter, but he has the same chances to kill all of those characters
02/20/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Fsouza87
I think he has good chances. And he can even use a lighter punch and throw people out of the, lets say, arena. The thing is, just like you say it and I thank you for that(people dont like to admitit it), is hard to balance something extremely powerful as a hitkill. As long as he gets that ability will be complicated.

I would say his chances are moderate, just slightly under good. His potential is still extremely high, though.
02/20/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Fsouza87
Right now, the guy is saying that anyone that can shot him first is a counter, but he has the same chances to kill all of those characters

I agree that the list paints a slightly inaccurate picture. It's not that it has ill intentions or that it's based upon blatant misinformation, but rather that it makes the mistake of existing in a vaccuum. Despite being horrible matchups on paper, most of those heroes aren't enough to make Doomfist dead weight in an actual match for people that can play him. Get a few of them together on the opposing team that makes it a point to focus you... well, that's another story. >.<
02/20/2018 09:22 AMPosted by AngPx11

Posted by UpARayBan

-Tracer IS a counter to DF. The fact that he can kill a Tracer if she plays bad doesn't make her not a counter. I've killed turret Bastions and ulting Bastions in 1v1 situations as DF, but that doesn't make it less of a counter. Tracer counters DF basically because the outcome of the duel is entirely in her hands. If she is bad, she will lose, but if she is good, DF won't even touch her, because she has every tool she needs to kill him without losing a single health point. Also, her guns shred DF due to his huge hitbox.

-Genji IS ALSO A COUNTER to DF. Not one that's impossible to play against for sure, but still a counter. The reason is basically the same as the reason why Tracer counters DF, he has every tool he needs to kill DF without losing a single health point. The result of the duel comes from the way the Genji plays, not the DF's. Many people don't think this way, and it is understandable taking into account that most Genji's don't know how to play against DF because he isn't seen too often. But the truth is that Genji has a super easy time against DF thanks to his vertical mobility, as long as he plays in the correct way. Double jump and wall climb can avoid every single ability from DF while Genij can still shoot him (well, or throw shurikens), and the fact that Rocket Punch and Swift Strike have such a weird and non-sensical interaction doesn't help.

-Widowmaker is also a huge counter to DF, and it is not because she can shoot him from the distance or whatever, it's mainly due to her grapple and the fact that she usually stands in the high ground. The high ground allows Widowmaker to avoid entirely DF's Seismic Slam just by jumping off of that high ground, as DF's SS will just vanish in the air even if it should have hit her. Also, her grapple allows her to escape from his SS + RU combo.

To sum up, these 3 heroes have a big advantage over DF, and in an even 1v1 fight where both know what they are doing and how to play against each other, it is in their hands to kill DF without letting him touch them. DF will only win if his rivals make a mistake, otherwise he will lose to them 100% of the time.

I'm a Masters DF main with close to a 60% winrate btw, in case you were wondering why the !@#$ do I dare to talk about him and his counters.

On the one hand, I certainly can't claim your credentials, on the other, I think there is some level of disagreement on how you interpret "counters". The advantages Tracer and Genji get from their kit against the rest of the cast is not nearly so great against Doomfist because he has similar though less consistent levels of mobility, significant burst damage potential (if he lands a hit, they probably die), and a larger HP pool that grows with properly landed abilities.

As far as Widowmaker goes, your argument goes it's not about the shoot him from a distance, it's about high ground, which seems like another way of saying, it's because she can shoot him from a distance. However, I think I get that you are basically saying she can get from perch to perch fairly easily and can avoid some of DF's powers' damage by using gravity. I would agree with this, and further note that because of this positioning, she's also very rarely next to walls to RP her into.

The trick is, she's also usually not moving very much, not looking around, and not near her team, which means if a DF can get to her perch, he can calmly put all 4 hand shotgun shots into her melon before she can react. The whole seismic slam into rising uppercut combo sets up the shotgun shots that DF wouldn't normally want to waste just poking downrange. Widowmaker does all that work for him by simply standing still.
ill never understand
02/20/2018 09:22 AMPosted by AngPx11

Posted by UpARayBan

Maybe you should share your knowledge on how you play him with a 60% winrate for all of us to see.