I'm almost Master - I still think Comp is suboptimal

Competitive Discussion
I've been playing since Season 1, the following are my personal opinions on how competitive has played ever since I started at low/mid gold. Most of this will be pertaining to playing Solo.

Solo comp is never a fun feeling. Even if I am winning several games in a row it's more often attributed to the enemy team having a DC, rage quitter, or just all around drama destroying their ability to play. I would honestly say 1 in every 7 or 8 games I get a real match where both teams play legit and aren't yelling at their own team. It feels great when this happens... but doesn't happen as often as Blizzard would like to think. This is what your MOST COMMON match should be like but it simply isn't. When your most commonly seen comp match is angry toxic players ruining a team or when one team has a person burping into the mic and making obnoxious noises while demanding heals, what fun are we having here? Where is the competitive nature here? Why is this the de facto NORMAL game play competitive experience? This is not something any company should be proud of. I truly hope Blizzard understands how intensely mixed bag it feels to play this game in their "Competitive" game mode. I feel like I have learned more about how to practice self-restraint and handle talking to children than I have at learning how to play the game at a higher level.

TLDR
Comp in this game is utterly toxic and needs overhauls, things people have been saying since at least season 2 or 3 even. Blizzard has tweaked how SR gains and losses work, how reporting works, but this could be helped further by pushing more drastic changes that have been sorely needed, in my experience with other games.

1. Solo queue separated SR from team queue like almost every other game, to include other Blizzard games. Why is OW all grouped up when the playerbase is so big? How does HOTS work fine with that model for example if OW can't try?

2. Potentially role based queue so you are rated according to your chosen role. Top 500 being an account thing and not how good someone is on one chosen hero just feels odd to me since the beginning. Also favors team queue players heavily. Separated solo top 500 players and team top 500 would also work. People like to bash the idea of roles but it would lower toxicity and help chisel to anyone how good you are with your chosen play style. You wouldn't be in a position if you hate to tank or heal for example if you just want to DPS. You wouldn't be in a position to DPS if you like to tank or heal. You will be rated FAIRLY at what you want to play and how good you are at playing it. You will not be forced to play something at your current rank that you know you are not as good at or simply do not want to play.

3. Something more done to people who throw games / DC and ruin other team mates SR. They are slowly doing more about toxic players but when people DC or ragequit the entire team you are on are simply screwed over. I don't care how many people suggest this can be manipulated if they make the guy who did it take all the loss, because if someone truly wants to buy accounts just to enable throwing for the team they gonna be spending stupid amounts of money for something so stupid like that. Not to mention time to get up to whoever they play with. I'm sure they can also be reported too, meanwhile, you are not suffering from one persons toxic behaviors / incidental internet problems. Being penalized for some other players actions is mind boggling and I feel bad every time an enemy team loses due to a leaver.

4. Golden guns was implemented poorly. I suggest doing something in the future where anyone can earn them from any mode and make Competitive have just special flashy character portraits or something if they must have something unique. The rank flashyness for example when someone looks at your profile pretty much already suffices. Could maybe have a permanent account marker showing your highest attained rank or a spray of some kind. I only bring this up because truly a lot of people do play comp only to place and then never play until season end to do it again. This, or they play a little bit but are inherently angry at how the toxicity works in competitive play which makes the overall game worse because they don't want to play for competitive purposes, they want to play for golden guns. They therefore trigger more easily, hurt people trying to rank up (mostly affecting lower ranking players), or simply aren't trying like others in the team are. Please try to address this by giving what they want more openly to capitalize what competitive players should be expecting in the team mates they are given on any match.

5. Decay system. Ever since I got Diamond back in Season 3 I've had just about no desire to play competitive because of this FORCED attitude toward upkeeping your rank and making playing the game a chore rather than something you want to do. Only the top 500 in my opinion should be affected by rank decay, or perhaps just anyone over 4000 rating in general. I lost 166 points when I was in Season 3 as a military deployed member and had absolutely no desire to do anything up until this very season to finally push to Master. Nothing is more demoralizing than losing your rating to nothing, nothing at all. Your time just being thrown out and wasted and unappreciated. My friends mostly left that I group played with due to this, we just didn't want to get together and act like this is a designated raid time from an MMO kind of mentality where we gotta play X and Y days to upkeep it. You basically want us to put life on hold. so again, only the people truly dedicated to getting and obtaining top 500 should be decaying because they should be working to earn, upkeep, and deserve it. Anyone else shouldn't be forced to play at that level of play, in my opinion. Smurfs wouldn't be an issue, as was originally the cause of this decay system, because they would be affected by the top 500 rank decay. Infact, more seems to be needed to ensure people with multiple accounts aren't holding top 500 still to this day, so you know already that this rank decay system isn't working as intended regardless.

Thanks if you have read this far, I just wanted to make this post fundamentally different than most players who get excited about ranking up and saying how amazing it felt / what anyone can try to up their game like they may have done to obtain higher rankings. I wanted to instead provide the ENDURANCE it took and PATIENCE through the suffering and misery that is the system instead. I truly love this game but am fundamentally confused why the game is in such a limbo state of affairs when it comes to the overall enjoyment factor and what has been done to make things more fair, less toxic, and more accessible for players.
Does anyone have stories they can share with competitive play? I would be interested to hear how other people feel about the general game to game experience others have had since the incarnation of this mode.
It dont feel competitive at all most wins and losses just feel like you eather have a good team or a bad team with close matches few an far apart can get a great team an mics 1 game an win the next u get 4 to 5 dps an no mics at all
02/15/2018 01:29 PMPosted by maorofl
It dont feel competitive at all most wins and losses just feel like you eather have a good team or a bad team with close matches few an far apart can get a great team an mics 1 game an win the next u get 4 to 5 dps an no mics at all

Due to the nature of not ever knowing which roles people prefer this is always the case regardless of rank. I was in a match for example yesterday where 4 of the 6 players were support mains. Is this fair since they have to play outside of their preferred hero class? The enemy team has to be in an equally unfair position for this to be considered ok such as 4 of the 6 players being tank mains so some of them have to also play outside of their norm and preferred position.

*I feel like an odd ball TBH that is ok playing any role. This is the way the game was supposed to, in theory, be made for as the devs declare. Switching heroes as they are needed except the majority of the player base does not want to do this. They want to play one specific role generally, let alone 1-2 heroes they specialize in. Competitive play does not support this currently, even though this has been the main numero uno issue to toxicity in my experience the game suffers from. If anyone can recall the game was originally "designed" with the mindset of having duplicate heroes like 3 Zarya and 3 Winston on your team which was debunked extremely early as a bad idea for competitive play. I wonder why hero switching is still considered core to this game when it is instead a core toxicity problem.*

On the other side of this, I have also seen people fight over ONE hero to play such as a Junkrat, Genji, or a preferred support. So much so that the team will throw if they don't get that one specific hero and say that it's not their fault that they aren't being allowed to play at their best so they don't try. Weird mentalities, but also weird how the game is in a position to not fix this or encourage one tricking / encourage multiple hero picking in any shape or form. The current system is promoted to where you just deal with the drama of what is likely to occur every single match and hopefully your team is adult enough to swallow it.

It usually isn't.
02/15/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Kryton
I wanted to instead provide the ENDURANCE it took and PATIENCE through the suffering and misery that is the system instead.

what is your reason for only playing 5-6 hours the entire season?
02/15/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Mizzerella
what is your reason for only playing 5-6 hours the entire season?

Not exactly on point here, but I'm playing to maintain my rating with maybe an extra game or two thrown in when I do. As I mentioned above, being forced to play is inherently unfun in itself when I don't get to choose how I want to spend my time on a game. When the game mode isn't exactly fun and usually a bad experience what else can be expected? I enjoy playing QP mostly, I would like competitive to feel more competitive if I was going to care more about it on a more "I can't wait to play tomorrow" mentality like when the game originally launched.

Playing in an environment that feels like a daycare half the time is not exciting, competitive, or enjoyable. I do my weekly games in a competitive focused manner, for the required time as enforced by the game, and I then feel relieved until the following week. What a way to promote a game if someone asked me how does competitive mode feel in the game!

*EDIT*
When I go in game it says I have 9 hours played for the season. I'm sure I'll end up with 10-12 by the end of it. Does it really matter though how much I have played this particular season to iterate my experiences from climbing gold - master? I clearly played a lot back when seasons started and I play much less after becoming Diamond due to decay and the problems that linger within the competitive system leaving it undesirable for me, as documented above.
They need to have harsher punishment for players who often disconnect and reconnect more than once during the match or who leave matches frequenly. My last three comp matches had leavers who left and did not come back. On my fourth match we had a player on our team who disconnected three times and then re-connected 30 - 45 seconds later. We lost because he was not in the game for half the time.

After losing all of those matches I get into a match where we could not capture the first point on a payload map. When it was the enemies turn they captured it in about 15 seconds and our entire team was dead. They did not even need to use any ULT's. The highest Gold elims on our team at the end of the match was about 5 elims and half our team (tanks and dps) had only 1 or 2 elims.

It was a totally unfair match and I ended up losing 27 SR even though in the last match we almost won a 5 vs 6 due to a leaver on our team and I had 4 Gold and I only lost 17 SR for that loss.

I think this is some BS!
02/15/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Eclipse
They need to have harsher punishment for players who often disconnect and reconnect more than once during the match or who leave matches frequenly. My last three comp matches had leavers who left and did not come back. On my fourth match we had a player on our team who disconnected three times and then re-connected 30 - 45 seconds later. We lost because he was not in the game for half the time.

After losing all of those matches I get into a match where we could not capture the first point on a payload map. When it was the enemies turn they captured it in about 15 seconds and our entire team was dead. They did not even need to use any ULT's. The highest Gold elims on our team at the end of the match was about 5 elims and half our team (tanks and dps) had only 1 or 2 elims.

It was a totally unfair match and I ended up losing 27 SR even though in the last match we almost won a 5 vs 6 due to a leaver on our team and I had 4 Gold and I only lost 17 SR for that loss.

I think this is some BS!

Anyone who is considered a leaver, whether through toxic behavior or DCing, needs to be held much more accountable than they have been. This system alone has helped people climb or drop much more than they should. I have personally won 3 or 4 games I can recall because the enemy team gets a leaver. This is not competitive, this is not fair, and the other team is wrongly dropped in rating because of things outside of their own control. You can't say the competitive system treats people fairly and ranks you where you are supposed to be when this occurs much too often still.
One thing that has always bothered me greatly about Competitive is the fact that the system is very unfriendly when it comes to losing. Aside from experience, if you lose a Competitive match you get NOTHING. No Competitive Points towards gold weapons and you lose rating. Essentially, losing a competitive match means you've wasted almost half an hour of your time.

Now, I know what some people are likely to say..."get good bro." Okay, but even some of the best players (and no, I am not counting myself among them) can't always carry five dead-weights. Additionally, you cant always control how your teammates are going to play...I've played comp matches where people legitimately throw the game because someone else picked their favorite hero, or because someone picked the "wrong" hero. Also count in leavers (intentional or otherwise)--and, of course, simply poor comps or players. A lot can go in to the game that determines whether or not you win that's not always 100% whether one solitary player out of six is a good player.

Take World of Warcraft for an example. Yes, a completely different game...but in that game, you are awarded Honor whether you win or lose. Winning certainly gives MUCH more honor than losing, enough to the point where it could mean getting a flashy new piece of gear in a few days or a few weeks, depending on how often you play or win.

So, I would recommend that you get at least ONE Competitive Point just for playing. That way a loss, while still negatively impacting your Season Rating, doesn't feel like a complete waste of time.
I don't like comp because of how SR works. This game is a team game, however, you have your own personal skill rating to help you match with others of a similar skill rating. Sounds good simply put, but it's quite terrible to be honest. There are way too many variables with SR that pushes the consideration of your actual skill to the back lines. Your SR is based mostly around you winning or a losing a comp, with either random teammates or your friends. If you're doing well, but your teammates aren't and cause you to lose, you get punished for that, and vice versa. I think SR really needs to be based around solo performance, at least in solo queue. Now I'm not saying solo performance should account for all of it, but it needs to be somewhat of a factor with winning or losing still playing a major factor into how much sr you get. Imo, this would eradicate boosted players from a skill rating, and your teammates would be more evenly matched (minus smrufs unfortunately).
I have started recording my games recently because I was getting a thrower/troll every game.

I might make a Youtube series on all the crap in comp. But knowing Blizzard I'd probably be banned because instead of dealing with actual issues they cover them up and make it seem fine.

Remember the dev update in which Jeff said things were improving? Ha. Sure how come season 8 has been the worst so far then?!
So many good points already made. With all the gripes, frankly we just want the game to improve. The experience is so inconsistent right now.

Man, solo in this game just isn't fun though. I've tried to have fun with it, but too many times I just ask myself: is this fun, what's the point?

OP's First point is pretty key, it hurts, cross-matching groups and solo was never a fun experience. So many times that maybe it could work, it just ends in frustration.

Lack of roles is pretty much why I don't like playing OW anymore. I can't play what I want, I don't have fun being forced one way or another because of what either my teammates or an enemy is playing. It's decidedly anti-solo. The system that seemed so interesting at first reveal, that the game completely depends on (hero-swapping), turns out it's something I can't stand. I didn't realize at the outset I was the kind of person who only wanted to play one way. Turns you OW definitely helped me learn that. Too bad I still never played the character I liked in Comp, it was never the right pick after all.

In fact it's that system that keeps making me think that even a free to play game like World of Tanks would be more fulfilling. You select what you want to play, then are placed in the match. And yes, stats end up being tracked per thing played, as well as overall, leading to better personal improvement when you can see what types of things you do better/worse in. Sometimes I wish OW was World of Overwatch. Then shurg and think time to go to an FPS for old people.

What's crazy is that I generally like team based shooters, but only when they've got setups that allow solo players some flexibility in how they affect the match. So much of OW comp is tied up in being Seal Team 6 with 30 seconds of time to get to know one another, that being the kind of person that would do better with chat and voice turned off completely doesn't matter.

I think I could go on for hours. Mostly because there's such a great game in Overwatch, but man, Comp destroyed my ability to enjoy the game. Especially when I could just go and play some tank shooter with accurate stat tracking, queueing for the role you are good at, the ability to influence matches with strategy, Chat Off not affecting your play, and a MMR in standard modes, while still being "good" in those modes additional does translate well into the more competative/strict ones. Never expected to be spoiled by how well done certain aspects of other FPS games are done, and wishing OW would overhaul a bit.

Because I'm done with comp. Last time I seriously played I rose hundreds of points and gained two ranks. Didn't feel like I was anything more than lucky. And I'd group-queued. If a bunch of people at the same rank can spend a couple days grouped together and all rise a couple ranks because now they are winning by playing against mixed and soloist groups, the system has some explaining to do.

Game doesn't have many incentives to play more than required to keep up rating once you get to a #### you're comfortable with. After all, the game doesn't offer much achievement/progress outside of collecting shinys and raising your comp ####, and the rate at which that #### can fluctuate in a day is insane. It's tough to take it as practice when you're a solo player with a single account and a day of "practice" could end up a losing streak you don't seem to recover from. The system doesn't incentvize playing a huge quantity. Shame.
"I feel like I have learned more about how to practice self-restraint and handle talking to children than I have at learning how to play the game at a higher level."

Amen. I learned more about babysitting than playing the game.
I would love a solo queue/role queue. This doesn’t force meta at all. It shows you will have an even 2-2-2 and it does not lock you to a role but you have people who have the ability to make a proper comp.

I love to tank. And backup heal as zen. But if I get 4 dps I’m gonna struggle with should I stick with a tank or a healer? Because at that point I feel I am not gonna be able to do either effectively since covering for 4 dps and a lone healer seldom works out well in my elo.
Tfw you think rank in a game allows you to comment on the validity of statistical systems.
02/16/2018 08:25 AMPosted by damnitbinks
I would love a solo queue/role queue. This doesn’t force meta at all. It shows you will have an even 2-2-2 and it does not lock you to a role but you have people who have the ability to make a proper comp.

I love to tank. And backup heal as zen. But if I get 4 dps I’m gonna struggle with should I stick with a tank or a healer? Because at that point I feel I am not gonna be able to do either effectively since covering for 4 dps and a lone healer seldom works out well in my elo.

From my experience, if role based queue had to be forced as 2-2-2, it would still indeed be better than what we get right now playing solo. At least you go in knowing what to expect and that your team is ready to play as those roles. Team queuing could easily still stay as the game is currently and people just pick whatever because the game is centered around rating you as a team which makes roles not required. If you play with someone or an entire group of someones then I'm assuming you know what people can play / what people can switch to if things are getting rough.

It's just a shame this game considers the most popular way to play this game as not as important as 100% supporting the premades, solo players will always be more numerous in almost any game you play, especially for shooters. It's just weird, maybe an oversight on their part similar to the original idea of having duplicate heroes on the team being ok and balanced.

02/16/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Player
Tfw you think rank in a game allows you to comment on the validity of statistical systems.

You clearly didn't read the post.

I decided to give an overview experience of the climb / day to day game feeling vs. telling people how to rise higher in the ranks and how great of a feeling it was to finally be at X. Most people who get Diamond and above want to say how anyone can get to where they are by just doing X, Y, and Z. I wanted to give the reality check of what the overall feel is for the common solo player that I see time and time again in my matches. I wanted to convey how frustratingly silly your SR is dictated by luck and not your own skill in a good chunk of your matches, too big of a chunk in your matches even. If I get to Master this season I get there knowing I won at least 6 matches so far because the enemy team had a leaver, that I had to be good and flex when the general group players cannot or will not. I'm not in any shape or form gloating how "good" I am.

Thanks for stopping by.
I agree with you it feels like it favors some aspects of the game.
My overall consensus of the game is that it does not feel like they are adding enough to the game or keeping up with the growth of the community. I feel that if you had more game mode options that were not rotating in the arcade but stand alone like qp; you would see more balance in the community. I see teams getting flamed for going “try hard” in quick play. So already a large majority think if you don’t go there to mess around then you’re playing that game mode wrong. I get that game has a lot more leniency in mistakes vs consequence because you don’t have an enemy team playing their mains all the time.
But now you lack a place to be able to learn because I like playing against the try hards because they give me a situation I need to find a good hero choice for.

We have to face it the game needs a lot and the devs probably don’t know where to start. But a better alternative to how comp is now would be the better choice I feel.
02/15/2018 01:24 PMPosted by Kryton
Does anyone have stories they can share with competitive play? I would be interested to hear how other people feel about the general game to game experience others have had since the incarnation of this mode.

Sure. I don't feel the competitive system is perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it overall. I'm Master rank, for reference.

There's a lot of variety in how games go. Occasionally there is some toxicity in chat, but almost never before the team is demoralized or losing, and even then at my rank most people will try hard to win until the very end. Some games people are pretty focused, and you have constant call-outs on targets or ability cooldowns. Some games people will suggest particular strategies, like quad-tank, or have a specific plan of attack to deal with a problem. I've personally formed a plan for Numbani A based on walking a deathball onto point, pointing Reinhardt at their hitscan, and relying on Reaper to murder anyone jumping down to contest; it worked very well because we caught a McCree with his pants down on point, and despite the outcome being fairly lucky people were quick with praise for the plan after the quick victory there.

There's often excitement in comms when someone lands a big ultimate or kill. Some games there's a lot of humor in general; a couple people are chatty or witty. I've been trying to save a nearly dead Reinhardt from Genji and he shrieks that Naruto is going to kill him. There might be much chuckling over someone on either team making a boneheaded mistake. Sometimes people are just having a good time, and if someone is popping off there's often praise for them saving the day.

On the negative end you get comms regarding disappointment. Often "oh no" if Widow picks someone, or "we wasted ultimates there". At Master rank this sometimes shifts into tactical discussion like an analysis of what ultimates remain on either side, or calls for retreat. Sometimes chatter will be along the lines of "widowmaker is wrecking us" or "soldier is uncontested on high ground" and then discussion of who can deal with the problem, whether it is changing characters or just changing strategies. And yes, sometimes people get very demoralized and seek to lay blame or moan about it in chat. After a loss there's sometimes insults thrown about people being uncarryable or a thrower.

On the personal gameplay side of things, there's still a ton of variety there as well.

As Zenyatta sometimes I feel like I'm outputting lots of damage, but we still lose key fights or I stop popping off eventually and we lose, though certainly sometimes we just win and I feel like I did a lot. Sometimes I feel like I'm superfluous or not having a big impact, that I die very quickly to flankers but we still win fights. Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing much, but teammates later praise the orb placements or my main contribution was surviving a Tracer's attention all game. Sometimes I kick myself for not saving Transcendence, and sometimes I just save the day with it. Some games I feel like I'm getting absolutely wrecked by a Genji or D.Va, and chide myself for letting them kill me so easily, while others I spend the whole game stomping on a Tracer and feeling good.

As Zarya it's more feast or famine. Sometimes I can play aggressive with a Reinhardt and just roll over the enemy team. Sometimes I get disintegrated over and over and try consider if I need to swap or if I'm doing something wrong. Some games it seems to go well but all the squishies behind me keep dying. Lower near Diamond I found I could easily bully opposing teams with charged up Zarya, but later on it's more common that there's no spam character and I find I just can't get energy.

Overall I rarely feel like the game was hopeless from the get-go. Some games are hard-fought, going to 2 or maybe even 3 rotations through attack/defense. Some games we just lose and lose each fight, but afterwards I ask myself what was going wrong, and I can almost always identify a different approach I could have taken that might have worked better. Sometimes it's a pretty painlesss win; we take an early lead and never let go of it.

But perhaps more importantly, I have fun. It's a fun game. Sometimes I have fun because I'm winning. Sometimes I have fun because I'm personally performing well, or winning some satisfying duels. Sometimes I have fun because the comms are very positive or humorous; those are often the best games for me. Sure losing can suck, and some games really are demoralizing even for me, but the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion. Ignore toxicity, and there's always the next game; on the whole the other players are fun to play with.
I kind of wish Blizzard used all their hidden stats more. Like if I get a team that has historically an 8% win rate because it is various heroes not mixing well, then it would be nice if it didn't take so much of my SR on the loss. Because it was very expected with the people I was handed.

If I get a nice team composition that has like 80% win rate, I'd honestly not mind losing and losing SR because then we deserved it for being worse than the other team. But as the game works, with a good team composition you almost always win.
[edit : I loved reading your post, Arzoo. Thanks for taking time to share]

I think the soloQ problem lies on "bell" matchmaking. I'll try to explain myself :

How OW's matchmaker creates its data :

* Overall playerbase, from worst to best
* The worst players, as well as the best players, are much rarer than the average player. Put the best player at the lowest rank, he will not stay long. And vive versa. Climbing from below is very simple, Fall from above just as common (decay).
* The majority of players are therefore "in the middle" (high silver, gold, low plat), with less players as we go either to worst, either to best. (i.e : a bell)

Consequences of a majority being in the middle:

* As differentiation of personal skill becomes much more vague (because quantity), the same SR can be : an excellent player but had no luck on his previous teammates picks (bad teamplay), or a rather average player who won the MM lottery (mates who pick the right guy, play team > good teamplay). This problem happens less above a certain rank, as a majority already knows how to flex, communicate in voicechat, and globally have better skills. From mid diamond and above, a victory will be decided mainly on the teamwork, and less jeopardized by picks, or skill.

* Since everyone is not exactly same SR at team composition, matchmaker tries to avoid the drama of putting you against too stronger players by distributing all 12 players, and will be satisfied when it gets an average between all SRs.
Ex : If a 2800 SR gamer is paired with a 2600, it will find a mirror 2800-2600 on the opponent team and put you, 2650, into the match. Matchmaker then assumes both teams are balanced, except they're not ... If the 2800 SR finds the opportunity to jump on you, you have high chances to be screwed. According to matchmaker your team's 2800 SR guy should be able to jump on opponent's 2600 and balance it all ... except it's absolutely not guaranteed. Opponent 2600 could hide behind a shield, stay at distance, be protected by an ult, etc. This mechanic is used in all ranks, but as the "diamond and above" SR win/loss is static, these higher tiers fluctuate less, and SR gaps are way more important in the middle.

* the matchmaker will also make the decision not to make you queue for more than 3 minutes. If for example he did not find 6 players at 2400, he will put one at 2300, and one at 2500.

* Finally, to avoid wasting too much time, the MM does not try to absolutely find roles that suit yours, that is to say the one you prefer. That's why we can often end up with 5 main dps, or 5 main tanks. Once again excellent flex players who master all the roles will be more "above" than in the middle.

* Now pick up these 4 big principles
* shake it all
* cook for 20 minutes over low heat
* put some salt
* and that's the big mess we all know as silver, gold, plat, low diam. (or should I say .. the lottery)

Add to that, "tilting" : if we are too low, we smash everything, easily imagining ourselves in higher ranks. Once at our season high we say "wow I did it", focus on higher, until we get a bad matchmaking (a dps main that ends up having to heal, a heal main that must dps, etc, or just a strong opponent). Then we fall back in the middle, from where it is much longer to get out. We think it's not deserved because we have already been higher, tilting ensues, fatigue ensues, catching up to where we think we belong becomes an horrible experience.

The competitve environment is a set of interrelated problems that create new ones on their own. The solution is not simple and would require several adjustments, that can also have interrelated consequences. But hey, I guess Blizz is working on it (I hope).

About the ol' saying : "just be good". Well yes and ... no :)

- Yes: if we pick heroes that do not really need teamwork (typically, some dps). A Tracer for example will not wait for a shield to charge a healer, or a healing orb for recall. But ...

- ... no, when "being good" means more oriented towards strategy, team synergy, so typically support and tank (except roadhog of course). Because precisely many are fed up with believing in good matchmaking, many decide to focus on being strictly dps (some even strictly one hero). Except Overwatch implicit rules are clear : tanks are vital, healers aswell, and each role needs the other. Classic example : a 3rd dps painfully agreeing to fill the 2nd heal. Picks Zen. Focuses on shooting. Tank gets rekt, he gets rekt. Returns to dps. Loss streak.

TL;DR : for most people, bronze/silver is easy to get out of, diamond/master is comfortable to stay in, everything else is a rollercoaster of interrelated problems.