Why no clans?

General Discussion
I mean with everything else this game has going for it...

QP, comp, arcade, customs, replays you can save... shoot, this games esports league even has skins for all the heroes, from 12 different teams!

Why.... why the glaring omission of clans? I know that in the past jeff has said "this is something we'd be very excited to work on".... and as far as I know, that was the last we heard.

I get that Blizz probably had their hands full (and still do) getting the OWL up and running...But how 'bout something for us commoners?

I'd love to participate in comp but the folks I regularly play QP with just aren't interested, don't have the time, or even if some do... it's tricky getting 6 people together for even one game (comp games are longer remember?) let alone a marathon where we can really bang out some games and figure out strategies and form some rapport.

It's really starting to look like someone is pressuring Blizz not to implement a clan system... and that has me genuinely worried. It's the one thing I'm truly holding out hope for in this game.... please blizz... tell me the waiting won't be for nothing.
I posted about this in another thread regarding the same topic, so I'll just copy/paste what I wrote there:

"I would love it, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard are against the idea since it gives the community power to vet players. You know the troublesome players will be upset about it when top or good clans/guilds don't want them in their group. I can't blame such groups for wanting to keep those players away from them though."
02/19/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Popcron
I posted about this in another thread regarding the same topic, so I'll just copy/paste what I wrote there:

"I would love it, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard are against the idea since it gives the community power to vet players. You know the troublesome players will be upset about it when top or good clans/guilds don't want them in their group. I can't blame such groups for wanting to keep those players away from them though."

Elaborate on this a bit... because its following the same line of thinking I had when I said "it looks like someone is pressuring blizz NOT to introduce clans".

You're saying that by joining a clan, Blizz might not have the opportunity to promote that player to the OWL, thereby missing out on all that precious $$$? I mean it makes total sense that they'd want to control the influx of players... but sheesh, I was really hoping they weren't going to go to such lengths as straight up denying clans
02/19/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Ornery
Elaborate on this a bit... because its following the same line of thinking I had when I said "it looks like someone is pressuring blizz NOT to introduce clans".

You're saying that by joining a clan, Blizz might not have the opportunity to promote that player to the OWL, thereby missing out on all that precious $$$? I mean it makes total sense that they'd want to control the influx of players... but sheesh, I was really hoping they weren't going to go to such lengths as straight up denying clans
I'm saying that, assuming I understand the concept of clan/guild in this game compared to say WoW, that you'll have groups or leaders within the clan/guild controlling who gets in.

These groups or leaders will most likely keep problematic players (such as one-tricks, but there are more) from joining their guild/clan. Assuming that this new system accomplishes more 6-stacking across the board, in theory majority of the playerbase will see a jump in quality for their matches, while the problematic players only see a drop in quality for theirs.

Blizzard is EXTREMELY protective of individuals rather than teams, so I can't see them introducing a system that hurts these problematic players from being part of the game just as much as anyone else. They don't mind the behavior of such players as long as they play the game to any extent. Blizzard is far more worried about inclusivity in Overwatch than its competitive integrity. It's just a hard truth that the rest of the playerbase has been swallowing :/
02/19/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Popcron
Blizzard is EXTREMELY protective of individuals rather than teams, so I can't see them introducing a system that hurts these problematic players from being part of the game just as much as anyone else. They don't mind the behavior of such players as long as they play the game to any extent. Blizzard is far more worried about inclusivity in Overwatch than its competitive integrity. It's just a hard truth that the rest of the playerbase has been swallowing :/

What you're saying makes sense... but isn't your rank in competitive sort of the same thing? Just another qualifier that tells you which group you do, or do not belong to?

While I can see someone complaining and saying "ugh this game sucks because such and such wouldn't let me into their clan..." I don't see how it's any different than a player saying "this game sucks because I can't make it to rank x".

I'm just saying, I find it hard to believe blizz would prefer we all stay in this sort of listless, anonymous, no-friend zone where, sure... everyone feels a bit more included, but at the cost of true relationships and bonding.

It's like everyone is ALL THE TIME focusing super hard on being nice to one another... I want a to be a part of a group where I can relax and joke around with people and not have to worry about any of them reporting me.

See I have that^ already through the friends that I added and play QP with. Now I want to take it a step further with clans, because I want people who will actually be interested in comp and always try their best because, hey, that's the whole point of being in the clan.

You could also have clans just for socializing, or arcade, or anything really. There are so many potential advantages to the system (not the least of which would be the reduction in toxicity) that its just starting to look more and more like Blizzards hands are tied and that someone is forcing them not to work or care about a clan system.
Jeff already said this is something they want but it wasn't a big priority at the time. He said this in one of his Dev update videos.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753198866#post-4
02/19/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Krojack
Jeff already said this is something they want but it wasn't a big priority at the time. He said this in one of his Dev update videos.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753198866#post-4

02/19/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Ornery
I know that in the past jeff has said "this is something we'd be very excited to work on".... and as far as I know, that was the last we heard

lol good lookin out, but I mentioned that in the original post ;D

...but, it's also kinda why I created this topic in the first place.

The way jeff phrased it was "we'd love to work on something like that!" which is just PR speak.... because to many of us, all we see is

"we'd love to work on a system like that! but of course there are many other priorities so we'll never work on a system like that... it'd be nice though!"

And then we haven't heard anything since :(
I know it was in a video but I just spend time looking and can't find the one. They could be working on it and just want to surprise it with it like they have with a few other things in the past. Who knows.
agree
Because I think this game was kind of rushed.

They polished the visuals of the game, but they neglected a lot of basic stuff too when they pushed the game out. Any sort of guild system, being one of those features lacking. Which seems like a really basic and well-established feature for a game like this, especially one focused around teamwork and competitiveness. How the heck do you not include a guild/clan system??
02/19/2018 03:04 PMPosted by PancakePunk
Which seems like a really basic and well-established feature for a game like this, especially one focused around teamwork and competitiveness. How the heck do you not include a guild/clan system??

THANK YOU.
While I wouldn't be against it, I don't think it's a big deal considering the Battle.net App has similar functionality to any Clan system already.

Add people you enjoy playing with to your BNET and make a Social Group with those people. Done and done. Or use Discord if you want more moderation options, since you'll likely to be in there over in-game voice chat when you play anyway due to better voice quality.
Clans we're dope as hell in Warcraft 3. Their original battle.net online system was so Superior to what they give us nowadays.

Most gamers don't even know what they're missing out on these days.
02/19/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Vir
While I wouldn't be against it, I don't think it's a big deal considering the Battle.net App has similar functionality to any Clan system already.

Add people you enjoy playing with to your BNET and make a Social Group with those people. Done and done.

I tried doing this with the Blizz apps "groups" system... which sorta worked for a bit. But even though we've almost 30 players in our group... no one ever wants to get together for games..

..and that's simply because, even though you're signed into the blizz app, doesn't mean you're signed into to play OW.

Then we moved away from Blizz products and tried discord. Same problem. Many people join, but it's basically just to chat and play whatever game they want to play... not so much interested in what the group is doing. And remember... these are all actual friends of mine. Some from real life, some from the game, but in both cases... people I know by name and talk to a few times a week, and even then, it's hard to organize these kinds of things.

At least with clans, people that sign into OW, and then sign into their clan channel (or however it would work) would at least signify to everyone "hey, I'm here not just to play OW, but to play as a team, and test out strats... have clan battles..." that sorta stuff.
Once upon a time this was how games fostered teamwork, reduced toxicity, increased competition. It worked quite well decades ago. Not sure how competitive mode became a thing before this did..
02/19/2018 03:22 PMPosted by robotwizard
Once upon a time this was how games fostered teamwork, reduced toxicity, increased competition. It worked quite well decades ago. Not sure how competitive mode became a thing before this did..

Same.

I guess they're just hoping that the idea will slowly fade from gamers' minds (as it appears to be, I thought for sure this thread would get more attention)

But who am I kidding... I know there have been dozens of other topics like this.
02/19/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Popcron

These groups or leaders will most likely keep problematic players (such as one-tricks, but there are more) from joining their guild/clan. Assuming that this new system accomplishes more 6-stacking across the board, in theory majority of the playerbase will see a jump in quality for their matches, while the problematic players only see a drop in quality for theirs.

Guilds would be better for the problematic players, not worse. You mentioned one-tricks: as it is now, you might get, say, 3 Mercy one-tricks on your team randomly, and they all fight over who gets to play their main. The two people who didn't instalock fast enough are likely to throw hissyfits the rest of the match and ruin your game. If they were in a guild, they would know who mains what beforehand and could put together groups of players that complemented each other.

Another example: toxic players who freak out if someone picks an off-meta hero. With a guild system, they could make their own meta-slave guild to form their own groups. Likewise, the off-meta players could form their own guild of like-minded individuals, so they don't have to keep grouping with the toxic whiners.

Honestly, I can't see a guild system as anything other than win-win. Like other people said above, I was really surprised to see that Blizzard didn't think fostering community relationships was important for the long-term health of the game.