It may be just me, but I feel like Reinhardt is useless.

General Discussion
I feel like other tanks can do Reinhardt's job better than him. Please note I am not complaining about the hero, but rather I'm just kinda sad that I don't get to play him cause there are other picks people pester you to play cause "Rein is bad."

First off, Orisa has a way better shield game. Her shield has less health of course however with the cooldown going while she has it out, if she times her shields correctly or doesn't get !@#$ on by the enemy team she can theoretically have 100% shield up time, without ever having to go without a shield, whereas Rein has a bulkier shield but he has to leave it down to recover it or just flat out lose it. One could argue that because of Rein's ability to carry his shield, move around, and turn on a dime that it's better. However I also feel that due to the curvature and size of Orisa's shield, a well placed Orisa shield can mitigate any need to turn or move, and at the very worst she can place her next shield in another position once it's off cooldown.

His hammer strikes are pretty good, no complaint there and his fireball is alright with the one exception that if you throw it at a bad time, your shield comes down and someone like an enemy rein can take advantage of that to wipe your team.

Reinhardt is now the only tank who can 1 hit KO with a non-ult ability since the nerf of Roadhog, so at least he has that, provided you don't charge into a position that gets you killed. (Such as behind the enemy team or off a cliff.)

I don't think Rein is a bad hero but I feel that his most important ability is seriously outplayed, especially when you combine it with the fact that Orisa can consistently do ranged damage with a shield up as well as use her entire kit without ever needing to sacrifice shield time whereas Reinhardt cannot. And after her shield falls, she can activate her armor buff until the cooldown is finished.

Perhaps I just don't know enough about Reinhardt but I feel like he isn't quite what he used to be, granted it's good that he's not the MUST PICK tank but in my opinion I think he's fallen to the NO PICK tank.

What do you guys think?
Side note, I forgot to talk about his ult. That's definitely good, however a hero should definitely be more than their ult. Especially when other ults have similar uses such as Zarya's ult.
The sad thing is that all he needs to be useful again is a very slight shield regeneration buff and bug fixes to ensure his charge and his shatter actually work. That's it.

BUT NO.. That's asking way too much.
I think Rein has his uses, depending how you play him.

For me, Orisa is a much better defensive tank because her shield is stationary, and because of her ranged attack and abilities like Halt and Fortify are better suited to holding down a point.

I prefer Rein when I need a more offensive tank where a lack of range is less important, since I'm using that mobile shield to get up close and personal with the enemy team (while still protecting my own teammates). Of course, in that use, having good teamwork can make or break Rein's offensive push since he does need to lower his shield to recover its health.
He’s just a victim of the power creep of new and adjusted heroes (just like Ana is). He was built with slower moving parts to be balanced.

Look at Orisa and Moira, everything is instant. If they were released at launch there would be a 1 second release time on her shield and Moira would have no speed boost when vanishing.
02/14/2018 09:38 PMPosted by Point
He’s just a victim of the power creep of new and adjusted heroes (just like Ana is). He was built with slower moving parts to be balanced.

Look at Orisa and Moira, everything is instant. If they were released at launch there would be a 1 second release time on her shield and Moira would have no speed boost when vanishing.

Yes, he is a victim of power creep. But simply stating that doesn't actually help him. He needs some fixes.
02/14/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Fragehardt
The sad thing is that all he needs to be useful again is a very slight shield regeneration buff and bug fixes to ensure his charge and his shatter actually work. That's it.

If only blizzard notices his bugs like they did with doomfist. I agree he needs a sheild buff to compete with orisa in this high spam meta. He always loses the sheild fight
I hardly see anyone play Reinhardt anymore. Our German crusader needs more love than he deserves.
02/14/2018 10:00 PMPosted by ǍƄƄŶ
I hardly see anyone play Reinhardt anymore. Our German crusader needs more love than he deserves.

All those glorious golden hammers collecting dust over the past few seasons :c
I'd love the ability to cancel charge (he's shown using the claws on his gauntlet in the cinematic to pull up short or change direction) and to fireball without shield drop.
Rein just doesn't have much to enable with his barrier. Orisa can at least enable itself, but who is really going to hide behind Rein? Zarya and Soldier 76 are kind of whatever picks these days. No one wants them. Winston enables DVa and Tracer going in and smashing enemies. Reinhardt can't enable good heroes in current patch.
02/14/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Fragehardt

If only blizzard notices his bugs like they did with doomfist. I agree he needs a sheild buff to compete with orisa in this high spam meta. He always loses the sheild fight

Six months after being told about them?
He's not 'useless', just underpowered.

A small buff is needed but overdoing it is exactly what made Winston so much stronger than Rein. Caution is advised.
If it wasn't for all these mobility heroes and dive meta I would say he's fine, but he isn't. I don't even know what he needs, but he need it fast.
Reinhardt isn't designed to and will never compete with Orisa in a straight shield war. This is because this is what Orisa is designed to be, a straight up defensive front-line tank. Reinhardt on the other hand, has aggressive options that allow him to quickly make space and secure advantages that Orisa simply cannot. While Orisa uses her shield in an attempt to block all damage, Reinhardt must pick and choose when to use his shield, blocking key abilities such as Widowmaker headshots, Roadhog hooks and especially Reinhardt's Earthshatter. The flexibility Reinhardt's shield offers is something that Orisa cannot match. With Lucio returning to the meta, Reinhardt's dynamic playstyle will again be considered superior to Orisa's slower style in any relevant, organized contexts.