Mercy spotted on the latest Ready Player One Trailer

General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_eZxSYRhco

Right after the Star Wars and Halo scene
I want to encourage you guys to read the book at some point. It looks like theyre changing a lot of the story to make it suitable for the theater, and I really hope it's still good. But the book is solid. Once you get about 2 chapters in, it'll hook any proper nerd like yourselves.
Doesnt seem like her. Man I can hardly see anything anyway
Next time put a timestamp.

For everyone else, he probably reffers to a character that appears in the background between 1:40 - 1:43.
His wings are reminiscent of Mercy but it clearly looks like a robot. Most probably not Mercy.
Or maybe she holds the robot? Too blurred to see clearly.

So much time wasted to find her.
02/16/2018 11:04 AMPosted by chickenchasr
I want to encourage you guys to read the book at some point. It looks like theyre changing a lot of the story to make it suitable for the theater, and I really hope it's still good. But the book is solid. Once you get about 2 chapters in, it'll hook any proper nerd like yourselves.
The book was soooooo good! The movie looks way to different than the book.
02/16/2018 11:04 AMPosted by chickenchasr

What is the book about? Seems like it is packed with a lot of refferences to pop-culture (animated series, games) that i will probably miss or don't understand. Seems a bit too based on just refferences to other works.
I mean..i like spielsberg work..but even i am not nerdy enough to like that movie...i dont like references in that amount, but i hope it does good for those that want to see it
So this film is about nostalgic cameos of characters made for millennials, despite the fact that they are are too young to have grown up with most of them. Do I have this right? I mean, even The Iron Giant is before most of your time. The decent Willy Wonka film is before even my own children's time.
https://imgur.com/QGGwlmc

Isolated into a picture

Definitely not Mercy
Book Summary:

Basically, in this future, VR (virtual reality) has overtaken all forms of video gaming. Everyone can get a headset and plug into, for lack of a better term, an entire universe of games. Each game has its own planet(s). In fact, a lot of stuff takes place in the VR world -- for example, there's a planet of schools for education purposes. Because it's so expansive, even a lot of business is conducted in the VR universe. Supposedly, entry fee to the general areas of the VR universe costs only a nickel. Other worlds(games) can be accessed by paying for them, similar to DLC today. Personally, this doesn't seem like a valid economic option, but hey I didn't write the book...

The storyline starts up when the creator is dying. He wants to pass on control of the VR universe to someone, but wants to make sure it's the right person. So, the creator sets up a bunch of easter eggs, which will guide our main character to the inevitable conclusion. A bunch of puzzles that only, again for lack of a better term, a true gamer geek would know. For example, one puzzle involved the main character beating a high score on a copy of an arcade machine that the creator played in his hometown.

It (the book at least) seems directed at the 25+ market, since it references old-school arcades, the band Rush (one puzzle involves remembering all the lyrics to, and performing a 'play' of, their song 2112) and , and many many other video game references. I assume they are throwing in more modern references to try to get the Millenial crowd excited for it.

**I didn't read the book myself, but my friend did, and insisted on telling me about it. So there ya go.
i don't think that is mercy however in another trailer Tracer makes an appearance next to chun li
Overwatch is cool and all in the trailer but is everyone else slacking on the fact the MY BOY IRON GIANT IS IN THE MOVIE?!?
mercy is a giant robot with a rifle now
Pop Culture References: The Movie.

I'm more looking forward to RLM reviewing the movie than the movie itself.

"I GOT THAT REFERENCE!!!!"
02/16/2018 11:30 AMPosted by BossHog

Isolated into a picture

Definitely not Mercy

That's a Battleborn character according to r/battleborn:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battleborn/comments/7xspz1/benedict_cameo_in_read_player_1/
02/16/2018 11:37 AMPosted by goliathfasa

hey..lets be honest...its fan wars the movie, the warring of every fandom under the sun
02/16/2018 11:37 AMPosted by goliathfasa

02/16/2018 11:30 AMPosted by BossHog

Isolated into a picture

Definitely not Mercy

That's a Battleborn character according to r/battleborn:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battleborn/comments/7xspz1/benedict_cameo_in_read_player_1/

It's Benedict! hahah still wont watch it, i would be cringing myself through the whole movie Also
Your face is a flat circle! god i could quote him too much
last edit i promise, if that is benedict..the wings look off
That movie is going to be a hot mess.
02/16/2018 11:35 AMPosted by ImNotBrad
Overwatch is cool and all in the trailer but is everyone else slacking on the fact the MY BOY IRON GIANT IS IN THE MOVIE?!?

In the book at one point all the finalists have giant robots. There's a big battle too. The bad guy has a giant mecha-godzilla. Hopefully that's reflected in the movie;
02/16/2018 12:59 PMPosted by BossHog
02/16/2018 11:35 AMPosted by ImNotBrad

In the book at one point all the finalists have giant robots. There's a big battle too. The bad guy has a giant mecha-godzilla. Hopefully that's reflected in the movie;

Dude... spoilers...
02/16/2018 03:53 PMPosted by ImNotBrad
02/16/2018 12:59 PMPosted by BossHog

Dude... spoilers...

The book is like 10 years old...