Symmetra hatred trumps winning the game apparently

General Discussion
It amazes and disgusts me how players will act towards a Symmetra on their team.

I play to win. I’m doing my work. A lot of times it’s Symmetra who is actually pressuring and denting the pirate ship/Orisa + Bastion wombo combo.

And yet I get so many teammates who will throw teamwork out the window just because there’s a Symmetra on their team. What’s ironic is that these are also the same people who preach about teamwork in their anti otp rhetoric and go on and on about playing to win.

People would rather lose than work with a Symmetra. We could have gotten that point, we could have moved that payload if teammates didn’t purposely ignore Symmetra’s well placed teleporters, didn’t lead enemies to Symmetra’s ultimates, purposely refused to heal Symmetra, let Symmetra die and ignore the enemy when they’re in your direct los (bonus points if Symmetra came to your rescue.)

I really don’t get it. The people who preach about playing to win and teamwork and leave Symmetras to rot and throw because Symmetra was picked, and then have the nerve to say we cost them the game, are toxic hypocrites.
I'm sad to hear that people are throwing games because of Symmetra being picked, but I hope your matches in the future are better!
Its not unique to sym, its anyone thats none-meta. Community is utter trash, the worst ive ever seen in a video game.
Is this on attack or defense? If defense I see no issue as at all. Sym is made for defense but sym on attack is another story. Sym on attack (Torb as well) is generally kinda garbage since her kit is based around setting up shop in one area and not moving with an objective
Two nights ago, we had the most awesome and hilarious Symmetra play of the game that was not on replay. Volkskaya map -- our attack team had been pushed all the way back from the #2CP to our spawn point. The exits were being actively camped by all 6 enemy defenders and spawn-killing anyone who stepped out. However, they missed our lone Symmetra with her ult available. So she placed her portal right above the final objective, and our whole team rushed through to start capping. The enemy team had a very long run back. One enemy torb made it back just in time eat my Widow head shot as time ran out, and we won the game . :D
I have only heard someone hate Symmetra one time on psn. That was when a friend was playing on his account. They didn't try to throw, but they said he is for picking her. This kind of hate I only ever hear for Hanzo.
02/16/2018 02:48 PMPosted by IBleedAudio
Is this on attack or defense? If defense I see no issue as at all. Sym is made for defense but sym on attack is another story. Sym on attack (Torb as well) is generally kinda garbage since her kit is based around setting up shop in one area and not moving with an objective

Torb and Symmetra, especially Symmetra, are probably the two unique characters in which in their current state, have two different play styles defense vs attack.

When you apply a defense play style to attack Symmetra, you’re not going to be as successful.

Also it doesn’t help people will fly off the handle at hero select at the mere sight of attack Symmetra or attack Torb.
02/16/2018 02:56 PMPosted by Kris
02/16/2018 02:48 PMPosted by IBleedAudio

Torb and Symmetra, especially Symmetra, are probably the two unique characters in which in their current state, have two different play styles defense vs attack.

When you apply a defense play style to attack Symmetra, you’re not going to be as successful.

Also it doesn’t help people will fly off the handle at hero select at the mere sight of attack Symmetra or attack Torb.

In this game you are paired with 5 other people and have to be flexible and make a cohesive team. When you instalock sym on attack you are kinda saying you don't care about the comp or situation you're gonna play what you want and the team can deal. Yes sym can technically be played on attack but that isn't what she's made to do. Her kit is aimed at defense and your team is most likely going to see an attack sym as a thrower. I get the same kinda flack for loving sombra but I know what she's good at and what she's not. 2cp on defense and I'll bust her out, moving payload map and I'll pick someone else. You can't force a square block through a round hole.
Look I mean in the end you're gonna do what you're gonna do but you can't be oblivious to why people might get frustrated at an attack sym or torb. They view you as a thrower because you're putting them in a tough situation instead of picking a character that would gel with the team comp
I was trying to upload a video of a play I did with Symmetra, took a while because, it didn't want to upload as a PotG video. I had to trim the play I did when I was playing it instead of when it was PotG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNj96OBz4c

I don't know how anyone can really hate a character capable of that.
On a side note sym was not used ONCE during Overwatch League stage 1. Not saying that just cause the pros ignore her that she's garbage but it does imply things. Maybe with the potential rework she'll see more play.
Sym counters nobody, and is NEVER the answer. Play someone else until the rework.
I've had countless games where people literately throw the game and then I am the one being blamed for "trolling & throwing" even though we LEGIT had a thrower in our team being AFK and placing the turret at spawn while dancing almost all game... Yet it's Symmetra's fault >.<
02/16/2018 03:17 PMPosted by idSurge
Sym counters nobody, and is NEVER the answer. Play someone else until the rework.
I disagree. I destroy with Symmetra and without her turrets at that. I will use them as a distraction at best. I never rely on turrets, not with Symmetra or Torb. I did the killing myself and I own.

Edit: Like with the video that I linked. Yes my turrets were up, but they didn't really do anything. I dropped 5 people with the help of a D.Va shielding me with her defense matrix. Without someone shielding me, I tend to get a lot of triple kills.
Sorry OP but if you think your slow moving, slow charging energy bolt is doing anything to the Bastion/Orisa payload combo you're heavily mistaken.

The payload healing and a 1 second Bastion heal nullifies anything that you're doing. Now... if you were to switch to another healer say Ana with a heal denying grenade, or zen with a discord orb, or reaper, or tracer, or genji, or sombra, or dva...

But yea OTP isn't a problem.
02/16/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Brady
02/16/2018 03:08 PMPosted by IBleedAudio
Look I mean in the end you're gonna do what you're gonna do but you can't be oblivious to why people might get frustrated at an attack sym or torb. They view you as a thrower because you're putting them in a tough situation instead of picking a character that would gel with the team comp

So that makes it okay for them to spam you with hate and throw YOUR game? Your logic is terrible. Picking a character isn't throwing, if people view it that way then that's their own assumptions about characters affecting their outlook on the entire game. We ALL have played games with attack torbjorns and symmetras and have won. It's !@#$ed up to flame someone just for picking a character you dont perceive as useful when the game HASNT even started.

Again you're gonna play how you want to play but sym is a defensive hero who really is at a disadvantage on attack. I'm sure you are AMAZING at the hero and have had plenty of victories but denying the obvious disadvantage the character is at on attack is just idiocy. Look at the facts: Sym has a pick percentage barely over 1% (Check omnimeta) the reason for this is that she is VERY situational. I get that you love her and are probably biased but that is the state of things.

There is no reason for you to be harassed, that is terrible. All I'm doing is trying to explain the mindset of someone who is paired with an attack sym. When I see one I think that this all you know and you don't care about team comp. It may be completely incorrect and I won't flame you for your pick but I am never enthused to see a sym or torb on attack. Same in my opinion as having double snipers (widow and hanzo)
I've had teams who hated my hero choice, so much that even if we did win they would still throw insults my way.

I guess you just have to get used to it.
What do you say about a brazillian Youtuber who hates Torb and Symmetra and in every game he blames the player that choose Torb or Symmetra?
Like in her recent video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGfE5m4wUEg
^ match with Symmetra start at 8 min

EVERY VIDEO that someone pick torb or symmetra in his team, he complains, and he fights, and says to change because he's a useless hero. I'm sad to see this.
02/16/2018 03:34 PMPosted by IBleedAudio
<span class="truncated">...</span>
So that makes it okay for them to spam you with hate and throw YOUR game? Your logic is terrible. Picking a character isn't throwing, if people view it that way then that's their own assumptions about characters affecting their outlook on the entire game. We ALL have played games with attack torbjorns and symmetras and have won. It's !@#$ed up to flame someone just for picking a character you dont perceive as useful when the game HASNT even started.

Again you're gonna play how you want to play but sym is a defensive hero who really is at a disadvantage on attack. I'm sure you are AMAZING at the hero and have had plenty of victories but denying the obvious disadvantage the character is at on attack is just idiocy. Look at the facts: Sym has a pick percentage barely over 1% (Check omnimeta) the reason for this is that she is VERY situational. I get that you love her and are probably biased but that is the state of things.

There is no reason for you to be harassed, that is terrible. All I'm doing is trying to explain the mindset of someone who is paired with an attack sym. When I see one I think that this all you know and you don't care about team comp. It may be completely incorrect and I won't flame you for your pick but I am never enthused to see a sym or torb on attack. Same in my opinion as having double snipers (widow and hanzo)

If I have a 70% winrate on a hero, attack and defense, why am I BEING BLAMED when theres literally hundreds of factors in a game. You know what puts someone at a disadvantage? Playing a character they're not good at. If a Sym main got to the same rank at you, probably having to deal with more throwers and quitters than the average player, AND has a positive winrate, then you have literally no room to speak about her hero choice at the beginning of a round. This is a double standard that applies to "niche" heroes like Symmetra, Torbjorn, Hanzo etc. exclusively. Tracer one tricks go uncontested, even when the Symmetra on the team has the highest winrate out of all the other players. You really have no idea what you're talking about.